• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Crowdfunding Red Mountain

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Fight the Man. Own the Mountain: Interview with Red Mountain’s Howard Katkov
There is an interview on Sound Cloud in the link.

Crowd Funding here
RED Mountain is an Endangered Species within the ski resort world. We have the snowfall, vertical drop, world-class terrain and 4-season fun to go boot-to-boot with the BigGuys, but have consciously maintained our mom ’n’pop/weird uncle feel for over 100 years. We’re tired of seeing families priced out of a premier ski vacation by Mega Resorts. It’s time for a change…

RED Mountain’s preservation as a fiercely independent, non-corporate entity is beyond worthwhile and now you get to be apart of it: “Fight the Man. Own the Mountain.”

Through this campaign, we're giving you the chance to actually own a piece of this place. That’s right – OWN: The mountain, the chairlifts, the lodge, condos, snow making, and even that one tree your buddy relieved himself on last winter. Every asset we’ve got, man. (Think of it as “Shred Equity”…)

This is your chance to actually be an owner of an extraordinary mountain that many consider a true sanctuary in a complex world. This is the investment opportunity of a lifetime — and it's not just an opportunity for the 1-Percent.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Red has received $12m in pledges, all from Canadians I think. I find this very surprising as it is not really an investment that will ever deliver any monetary returns. I wouldn't call it an investment or even a partial ownership. It is more like a club membership with some perks.

Red might build an exclusive on mountain lodge or not, but it seems to me that they aren't usually busy enough to deny entrance and cash business from "non-owners".

Basically they are asking patrons to pay over and above so the mountain can build whatever or do whatever they want with the money raised.

Have any Pugs pledged $ to Red Mountain or are considering doing so?:nono: NOT ME.

http://links.redmountain.mkt6753.co...DQwODQxNjYzMzgS1&j=MTE0MzE0MTIwMQS2&mt=1&rt=0

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
I actually pledged USD1,000, but I doubt I'm going to follow through and hand over cash.
It's a nice idea, but at 70 and with no plan to move away from Tokyo I can't see myself spending enough time there to make it worthwhile.

antigonowhere

Booting up
Skier
Not this Canook, other coast or not - my investment guy said I have better things to put my money into.

My investment girl (wife) said I already know how to make money disappear in my woodshop.:golfclap:

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

PTskier

Been goin' downhill for years....
Pass Pulled
Limited partnership units. Possible cash distribution at the discretion of the general partner. Benefits, depending on the amount of the investment, of day lift tickets, and a pair of skis or a snowboard, and a season pass. Membership in the clubhouse. Possible priority and a discount for cabin rental. Questionable ability to resell the partnership units.

I like Red. Likelihood of great powder snow. Fun little mountain. 3 days there and I'm bored. I don't think I'll invest.

TonyC

Contact me at bestsnow.net
Pass Pulled
Fun little mountain. 3 days there and I'm bored.
Red skis as a very big mountain for advanced/expert skiers. It's one of the more demanding lift served areas I've skied anywhere. That also makes it rather sensitive to snow conditions, which are middle-of-the-pack by the standards of western North America.

As for the crowd funding, it sounds sort of like the Mad River co-op, except the at Mad River the co-op has the collective decision making power while here the investors are strictly limited partners.

Mad River is within weekend drive distance of major population centers, so there's much bigger draw among people who can use the soft perks. Red is at the remote end of the spectrum in terms of accessibility for western destinations. People know they won't get a monetary return, but if they can patronize the area regularly then they feel positive feedback from the investment. This works against Red's plan IMHO.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Limited partnership units. Possible cash distribution at the discretion of the general partner. Benefits, depending on the amount of the investment, of day lift tickets, and a pair of skis or a snowboard, and a season pass. Membership in the clubhouse. Possible priority and a discount for cabin rental. Questionable ability to resell the partnership units.

I like Red. Likelihood of great powder snow. Fun little mountain. 3 days there and I'm bored. I don't think I'll invest.

The entire fund raising campaign is suspect imo. The clubhouse membership is for a clubhouse that has yet to be built and the same goes for the yet to be built and possibly never built cabins.

However, if "3 days there and I'm bored", then don't bother skiing any other B.C Interior mountains as they are probably "1 or 2 days and I'm bored". I haven't got a lot of days in at Red but friends who ski Red regularly do complain that Red is susceptible to rain. These friends and others who live in nearby Rossland are AFAIK NOT investing in Red, just skiing there.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
It's not a traditional investment - it's an opportunity to support something cool if you have the funds to spare.

Agree if you get bored at Red you're either not as good as you think or in ski movies or maybe just don't like trees. It has the highest average ability of skier I've ever found in the world. Guess those loggers and smelters have a bunch of downtime to git gud.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Wendy
    Resurrecting the Oxford comma
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January