• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'd forgotten about the N lift. I'd rather see that than the Tucker or Lumberjack upgrade but it should go all the way up next to the base of Storm King.

Oh, I didn’t know about the N lift! I like the idea of not having to go all the way to the base to get from Sierra to Solitude!

I'm not a fan of the N lift. With the Eagle capacity upgrade that wasn't previously proposed I hope the N lift doesn't happen.

My thinking is Enchanted and the Glades would get destroyed with the N lift. The extra 3-minute ski to the Super Bee and longer lift ride are just painful enough that few skiers do laps, so you can almost always find good snow.

With all the potential terrain for expansion and old lifts that need to be replaced at some point, I'd rather Copper not use its limited capital adding more lifts to existing terrain, and the resulting increased skier density.

Here's the N lift description from the MDP:

N Lift
From a skier/rider circulation perspective, a shortcoming of CMR is that traveling from the west side of the mountain (Timberline, American Flyer, Sierra, etc.) to the east side of the mountain (American Eagle, Excelerator, Super Bee, etc.) involves a seemingly roundabout and tedious trip including an extended ski-out to the Center Village and a relatively long ride on American Eagle or Super Bee. In order to facilitate the west-to-east transfer, a new lift will be installed from lower Carefree trail to near the top terminal of American Eagle. In addition to improving cross-mountain circulation, this detachable chairlift will also provide direct access to proposed Intermediate and Advanced ski runs, the Bittersweet Alpine ski racing venue, and the improved and expanded Sail Away Glades.

And the MDP map again showing lift upgrades and the potential new N lift in red:

figure_5_-_upgrade_plan_800sc_ai-jpg.42233

Full map of upgrade plan:
https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5333383.pdf
Note that the Eagle was not previously planned to be upgraded to a DC-6/chondola as is now proposed. I think upgrading the Eagle capacity is more cost effective than adding the N lift, as they go to the same spot, and the Eagle was reaching end-of-life anyway.

Last edited:

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
I'm not a fan of the N lift. With the Eagle capacity upgrade that wasn't previously proposed I hope the N lift doesn't happen.

My thinking is Enchanted and the Glades would get destroyed with the N lift. The extra 3-minute ski to the Super Bee and longer lift ride are just painful enough that few skiers do laps, so you can almost always find good snow.

With all the potential terrain for expansion and old lifts that need to be replaced at some point, I'd rather Copper not use its limited capital adding more lifts to existing terrain, and the resulting increased skier density.

Here's the N lift description from the MDP:

N Lift
From a skier/rider circulation perspective, a shortcoming of CMR is that traveling from the west side of the mountain (Timberline, American Flyer, Sierra, etc.) to the east side of the mountain (American Eagle, Excelerator, Super Bee, etc.) involves a seemingly roundabout and tedious trip including an extended ski-out to the Center Village and a relatively long ride on American Eagle or Super Bee. In order to facilitate the west-to-east transfer, a new lift will be installed from lower Carefree trail to near the top terminal of American Eagle. In addition to improving cross-mountain circulation, this detachable chairlift will also provide direct access to proposed Intermediate and Advanced ski runs, the Bittersweet Alpine ski racing venue, and the improved and expanded Sail Away Glades.

And the MDP map again showing lift upgrades and the potential new N lift in red:

Note that the Eagle was not previously planned to be upgraded to a DC-6/chondola as is now proposed. I think upgrading the Eagle capacity is more cost effective than adding the N lift, as they go to the same spot, and the Eagle was reaching end-of-life anyway.

This is where we disagree. I'm all about making it easier for me to lap terrain. I don't care what other people do. For example, I almost never ski Tucker because it's too much hassle and if I want to hike or skin, I'll just go hit real backcountry terrain where I can guarantee the snow is untracked and doesn't have moguls underneath. That being said I'm not a big fan of having all high speed lifts. Don't ever replace A with more capacity (I'm sure that's part of the new neighborhood being built over there though). I would like to see them extend Sierra down the hill to somewhere along the edge Coppertone near the bottom of I dropper but keep it a slow triple.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This is where we disagree. I'm all about making it easier for me to lap terrain. I don't care what other people do. For example, I almost never ski Tucker because it's too much hassle and if I want to hike or skin, I'll just go hit real backcountry terrain where I can guarantee the snow is untracked and doesn't have moguls underneath. That being said I'm not a big fan of having all high speed lifts. Don't ever replace A with more capacity (I'm sure that's part of the new neighborhood being built over there though). I would like to see them extend Sierra down the hill to somewhere along the edge Coppertone near the bottom of I dropper but keep it a slow triple.
I also like easy lapping of terrain. I think there are more important areas to make lapping easier.

I'd prefer to see a lift in Union Meadows. It's a huge underutilized area. And it's an obvious step into a Jacques Basin expansion where there are 1300 acres just waiting for lifts with Forest Service blessing.

My preference would be to keep Sierra as it exists. Rather than invest in an HS lift there, put the money into another fixed grip lift serving Union Meadows.

I'd love a future where Copper remains a land of fixed grip lifts other than getting folks out of the base. Relatively low skier density compared to the other front range resorts is a competitive advantage I would like to see Copper maintain.

Union Meadows and Jacques Basin last weekend:

IMG_20180317_115357 (1).jpg

StuckonI70

Getting on the lift
Skier
I am fine with N lift. Sail Away would be the only casualty, and those are pretty short and mediocre. Bring it on.

My feelings on a Tucker lift are well known. Not a fan at all, leave it be.

Union Meadows holds great snow, but it is very flat. If it had a lift through it, it would be tracked out in hours and there wouldn't be much reason to go over there. Plus, you'd have all the jerrys hanging out in the smoke hut.

Jacques Basin expansion, LOL. Yeah, keep dreaming on that one Tball. I'd rather they do something different over there, like a limited access model or guided tours only (Silverton esque), then just carpet bomb the thing with lifts.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Union Meadows holds great snow, but it is very flat. If it had a lift through it, it would be tracked out in hours and there wouldn't be much reason to go over there. Plus, you'd have all the jerrys hanging out in the smoke hut.

Jacques Basin expansion, LOL. Yeah, keep dreaming on that one Tball. I'd rather they do something different over there, like a limited access model or guided tours only (Silverton esque), then just carpet bomb the thing with lifts.
Yes, Union Meadows is flat but it would make a bunch of nice intermediate and advanced runs and glades like the much loved Gold Digger and Retreat.

More importantly, just outside the current boundary is a long ridge of steep terrain that looks like it could be a fantastic advanced and expert terrain addition. It has a similar exposure and layout to Enchanted Forest(s) but is a bit steeper.

On the Jacques Basin expansion, I'm frustrated watching the terrain expansion next door at Breck over the last 15 years. Meanwhile, Copper has an enormous area identified by the Forest Service as ideal for lift-served skiing, yet nothing happens. Nada for decades.

I also would like to see them do something different over there. I don't want high-speed quads and six-packs up every ridge like at Breck.

To start, a Union Meadows lift down into Jacques plus a couple of T-bars would be huge. Hike, skin or snowcat the rest to and from the T-bars.

Maybe someday another lift on the other side of Jacques basin and another T-bar to get you up the other ridge to start hiking.

That's it. Jacques could be a huge open area with just a handful of lifts. Kinda sounds like the China Bowl expansion that makes Vail. Except Copper's terrain faces north, is higher, and steeper. ogsmile I think it's a disservice to skiers this terrain has been sitting there for so long just waiting for expansion.

So, I'd much rather see the investment going into Jacques than the N lift where the terrain is already lift served. Below are a couple pictures of my thoughts.

T-ball's rough Copper Upgrade Plan adding a lift to Union Meadow and beginning an expansion into Jacques Basin:

tballs_copper_upgrade_plan.jpg
Based on this original full-size upgrade plan: https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5333383.pdf

T-ball Upgrade Plan Gradient Analysis:

tball_copper_upgrade_plan_gradient.jpg
Original full-size gradient analysis: https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5333381.pdf

Last edited:

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Forest Service Approval!
https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/whiteriver/news-events/?cid=FSEPRD576618

Forest Service releases Decision Memo on Copper Mountain Resort projects

SILVERTHORNE, Colo. – April 13, 2018 – The Forest Service has issued a decision on two project proposals located at Copper Mountain Resort; the American Eagle and American Flyer Chairlifts Replacement Project and the Tucker Lift Improvements Project.

The Forest Service has decided to authorize both projects on Copper Mountain. The replacement of the American Eagle and American Flyer lifts will address aging infrastructure and provide additional lift capacity out of the base area. The authorization of the Tucker Lift Improvements Project will improve access to underutilized terrain and provide sufficient safety and restroom facilities in remote locations on the mountain.

“The decision to authorize both of these projects means Copper Mountain Resort will be able to continue to provide a world-class and safe recreation experience to the many people who visit the mountain each year,” said Bill Jackson, Dillon District Ranger.

Construction of the American Eagle and American Flyer chairlifts will be completed during the summer of 2018 while construction of the Tucker lift is anticipated over the next several years. Both projects are located within the Cooper Mountain Resort’s existing operational boundary and special use permit (SUP) area.

For more information please visit the project websites below or call the Dillon Ranger District Office at 970-468-5400.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Chairs are off the Eagle:

download (26).jpeg

Could have waited until Monday, IMO. That lift really should be spinning this weekend. :nono:

I'll retract that if they start work in earnest this week. I bet it sits there like that for a while.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't know why they had a cat on the mountain but I do know why no groomer bar: they are closed:duck:

I would assume that once they are closed for the season they would not allow any touring or private motorized access especially if they are installing lifts.
Yeah, it's clear on the website no uphill access. The airs in the course were probably the attraction. The course is nowhere near the construction, though.

It's worth noting Copper is closed to mountain biking this summer too. No uphill or lift-served because of the construction.

What about the Colorado Trail that runs through Copper? They can't close that, can they?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Posted on Facebook today. There has been a ton happening so far this spring. The old American Eagle and American Flyer lifts are nearly all disassembled! Check out the progress.

Jtlange

Getting off the lift
Skier
Its too bad the Tucker lift isn't going in this year but its understandable. Three lifts in a year would have been absurdly hard to do.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Its too bad the Tucker lift isn't going in this year but its understandable. Three lifts in a year would have been absurdly hard to do.

So you're saying I should wait until 2020 to visit Copper?

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
My prediction is that the Tucker lift will not happen. Or won't happen for at least a decade. They've had approval for years but not spent the money -- it's a lift that would serve a very limited group of skiers and a lot of those skiers don't want a lift...

Mike

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My prediction is that the Tucker lift will not happen. Or won't happen for at least a decade. They've had approval for years but not spent the money -- it's a lift that would serve a very limited group of skiers and a lot of those skiers don't want a lift...

Mike

So you're saying, no point in waiting until 2020 to visit Copper??

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

Mike

Tucker actually is supposed to start next summer; scuttlebutt is that it was Gary Rogers' last action before leaving. Solitude is also going down in spring, to be replaced.

Last edited:

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
Tucker actually is supposed to start next summer; scuttlebutt is that it was Gary Rogers' last action before leaving. Solitude is also going down in spring, to be replaced.
I've heard this as well

Sponsor

Staff online