• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

jo3st3

Getting on the lift
Skier
Stowe....

yeah when the temps are negative that means there is noone else to ski the powder.

26198057_10103286115031000_6151512527644545899_o.jpg

Nice! Yeah, you're far enough north that you've had a really great season so far. I'm in northern CT, and I don't usually venture further north than Mount Snow. There have been a few days with a foot of snow, and some great days at Mount Snow. It's been a great season this year. That's why I ski the enforcers... I'm prepared for anything lol

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Haha nice try;; Most "choices" are also "compromises" when we have alternatives to choose and something is being given up.. in the case of retro.. performance.

But who says I'm giving up performance? Dynamic VR17s? RD Bad Dogs? Rossi DHs? Even my boots are BOSS! Langes and Raichles.

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
From top to bottom I usually encounter some pretty variable conditions so I don't sacrifice versatility,
Versatility requires some performance compromises or we would all be on the same ski.
Easiest thing for me to give up would be graphics I really could care less what my skis or gear look like, or my skiing for that matter

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
While I don't particularly care about graphics, I have got some pretty fine looking skis. Elan M1111 (Dance of the Dead, 15th century mural), Bent Chettlers (the Mammoth/Japanese version) and K2 Big Kahunas (Jerry Garcia edition).

It was kind of funny when I got the M1111s as I was hating all the skis with guns, skeletons and death motifs. You know like Seth Pistols and most other K2 freeride skis.

20180106_193733_Huckleberry Grn~01.jpg 2014-02-03_09-42-26_27_montage.jpg 2014-01-21_12-16-33_93.jpg 2014-01-21_12-16-21_957.jpg

NESkier_26

Putting on skis
Skier
I've always had a one ski quiver, so I've tried to own a ski that is very good (but not great) in the conditions I encounter most: arcing groomers at a high speed, good edge-hold for New England ice, good in the bumps and trees, and enough float and stability to be fine in up to 10" of fresh snow and chop.

I'm in my fifth season on Kastle FX84s, which I bought from @dogcatching in a good end-of-the-season sale. It's been an excellent ski for me, and I love its feel of dampness, power and stability. Not the nth degree of anything, but it's very good at many things.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
A decent tune. Won't give that up, except maybe during a full-on powder day..

Once in a while someone will let me try a nice pair of skis and say something like "They haven't had a tune in a while but they're great skis." I go to start my first turn and basically drive the operation into the ditch before figuring out exactly what kind of ball bearings I'm skiing on. I feel like asking, "How do you even know whether they're great skis or not?"

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I'll give up graphics any day. I'll give up twisty turny easy-peazy pivoting in deep snow for stability and precision at speed too, but I shouldn't have to. N+1 baby!

Quivers for the win. :thumb:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
But who says I'm giving up performance? Dynamic VR17s? RD Bad Dogs? Rossi DHs? Even my boots are BOSS! Langes and Raichles.
:thumb:

If you're not giving up anything performance wise, or compromising then that should be your daily driver for certain conditions (not talking about retro day hahaha),

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I choose my ski for the day by the type of skiing I want to do. Retro is no different. One day this winter, I'm going to powder ski on the RDs. But first I have to get rid of the powder jones. It'll be a different day of skiing, for sure. And I'm sure I'll be smiling. A day skiing beats...

... almost everything.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I choose my ski for the day by the type of skiing I want to do. Retro is no different. One day this winter, I'm going to powder ski on the RDs. But first I have to get rid of the powder jones. It'll be a different day of skiing, for sure. And I'm sure I'll be smiling. A day skiing beats...

... almost everything.
My Helidogs were also pretty good in slush bumps and crud..

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I really want to take out a pair of Heli Guides but the bases have delaminated considerably. They'd need to have the bases come off, be cleared of rust and grime and relaminated. Anyone have a press?

heli guides.jpg

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
Versitlity. I'd much rather have performance, even if the envelope is narrow. I'd rather be uncomfortable and have not trunk space and cup holders in a race car than drive a Camry.

johnnyevil

Booting up
Skier
I give up soft snow performance. I have two pairs of Blizzard Brahmas (2015 and 2018), with the old pair now relegated to use for poor conditions. I have a pair of Line Supernatural 108s for when I go west. Basically I ski all mountain skis whether in Vermont or traveling, with the difference just being how fat they are at the waist.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
- New-ness. I have 7 pairs of skis currently. 2 were bought new at severe discounts (<$200/pair.)
- Exactness. My 7 pairs are a sort of "fits the requirements", not some unicorn ski. Not that I don't believe in them. But I'd rather own a set of skis that cover a wider range of conditions, than few skis that are really perfect in one condition for me. 4 inbounds (3 good, 1 rock), 3 touring (2 good, 1 rock) covers this pretty well. Example: A moment belafonte isn't the ideal touring ski, but for $30 it's a great touring rock ski. Atomic Alibi isn't my perfect daily driver, but for $180 new, it still has the metal backbone I like in a ski and relatively versatile.
- Matching clothing. All my outerwear was bought used in good condition. One pair of grey pants (which already have 15 day son them this season) for inbounds and touring makes it easy to match various used jackets (one hardshell, one softshell.)
- Graphics. Stickers are cheap.
- Poles. Whatever. As long as they are withing a couple cm of the right length.
- Bindings. I have preferences, but as long as they are DIN12 or higher and test okay, I'll ski pretty much whatever. If I'm buying I prefer used STH14/16s for their adjustability and durability. But PX15s can always be found cheap and also last a darn long time.

Last edited:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
^^^ Start with something functional, ski it.. wait for really good deals and grab them if it fits your quiver or is a better replacement for something you were using up til then..

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Number of skis (& snowboards) I have I'll quite readily give up latest and greatest (& premium priced product) for 2 or 3 pairs of ex demo. So Renoun isn't gonna sell to me in the near future.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I give up stability for softer, easy to turn skis. Just lazy and I don't ski all that fast.

I have a 2 pair quiver a 93mm waisted light touring ski and a 105mm heavier powder ski. It would be fun to perhaps add a narrower, front side carver. Then I might ski on those days I usually don't.

Sponsor

Staff online