• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Compression socks for recovery after skiing

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Anyone have brand recommendations? I'm searching and finding a whole bunch. I'm intrigued by Compressport. They have compression shorts, 3/4 tights and quad sleeves. If the compression is much better than my CW-X than the 3/4 tights seem to make the most sense.

The idea of after skiing makes no sense - compression isn't only about recovery. I exclusively ski in Point6 OTC ultralight compression socks. They are perfect minimalist ski socks and matched with 3/4 length compression tights (I use CW-X) you have total compression coverage.

You will realize why this is so beneficial just during your drive. Extrapolate from there.

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I wore compression socks after my hip surgery to prevent clots. Miserable things and I relished every minute I could escape them.

Many minor injuries can have larger consequences if the swelling goes unchecked. Compression is a good way to reduce swelling. So maybe I can see the logic. Especially if you are sitting in 6 hours of traffic.

For me after skiing, I want loose socks in comfy sandals!

Eric

PTskier

Been goin' downhill for years....
Pass Pulled
I've used some compression ski socks, and I didn't really notice much difference. Ditto for my CW-X compression tights. OK, but just a bit more trouble (no fly) than they're worth. If one wants the CW-X tights, I'd suggest the summer weight. Some spring days the winter weight is too warm, plus they're too warm for any summer use.

For general recovery, I think a recovery drink within the first half hour after quitting skiing works well for me. A pint of chocolate milk is great (then off to the bar for a beer or three.) Pacific Health Endurox R4 is powder recovery drink that I put into an empty water bottle that I carry, then fill with water at the end of the last run. There are other brands that likely work equally well. A certain proportion of carbohydrate, protein, electrolytes, and water is said to provide benefits within a short time after the end of exercise.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I use compression socks for running. I think they might be good for skiing too but haven't tried that yet. The socks only go up to the knee.

Frankly

Upwind of NY
Pass Pulled
I use compression socks to control my swelling from RA but find they’re wonderful for skiing. Another advantage is that they minimize and make consistent my foot volume so boot fit and pains are minimized.

Shop around, I have a wide range of brands and various degrees of compression. The low to moderate 15-20 level is good for all day, 30-40s for sports. I think the medical brands are better values than “sports” versions with racing stripes.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I

Shop around, I have a wide range of brands and various degrees of compression. The low to moderate 15-20 level is good for all day, 30-40s for sports. I think the medical brands are better values than “sports” versions with racing stripes.

For the combination of low cost at starter compression values, over the knee coverage, and no funk-sweat buildup, these are almost unbeatable:

http://www.glieberman.com/buy-support-tights-for-men/

novnovah

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
137 W San Bernardino Rd Covina, California
I was watching a video from Kelly Starrett about mobility and recovery exercises for skiing and he mentioned wearing compression socks after skiing helped with calf soreness the next day. Okay Kelly, you have my attention, but does that really work? Has anyone here used compression socks (not the medical kind) and found it made a difference?

https://www.gearhunder.com/best-compression-socks-for-men/

Compression socks are indeed effective, and I can prove it. After struggling with a calf injury for a few months, I learned about what would support my calves and fit my shoes. After trying a variety of socks, I finally found socks that combined comfort and stability perfectly for me. It's very comfortable, doesn't tie your feet, stays cool, and stays perfectly in place.

JWMN

Getting off the lift
Skier
Smartwool makes a very tight and thin ski sock. I use them along with the CW-X 3/4 tights. They do help with circulation, but for burning quads get a Skiers Edge and use it before the season starts. No more quad burn and your knees will also thank you.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
To eliminate burning quads, balance appropriately on your skis. Your knees will also thank you.

Justified reasons for burning quads are high-G high-speed carved turns and repeated sustained direct line bump runs at speed - preceded by inadequate gym work in the summer. Is that you?

Otherwise, you probably need to work on not sitting back.

Sponsor