• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Compression socks for recovery after skiing

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I was watching a video from Kelly Starrett about mobility and recovery exercises for skiing and he mentioned wearing compression socks after skiing helped with calf soreness the next day. Okay Kelly, you have my attention, but does that really work? Has anyone here used compression socks (not the medical kind) and found it made a difference?

BGreen

Out on the slopes
Skier
I don't know about after, but one of my favorite boot fitters said to wear compression socks on the way to the mountain. She said when she started wearing them in the morning before skiing it completely prevented afternoon foot pain. I'm definitely going to try it.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Compression does work. I actually use it more during skiing with compression tights. My Skins saved me with 5 days of off season skiing last month.

TS
TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Compression does work. I actually use it more during skiing with compression tights. My Skins saved me with 5 days of off season skiing last month.

I have a couple pair of CW-X compression tights I wear during the day and I do think they help but it's never been an amazing difference. I think my legs feel better while skiing but I'm still sore the next day.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Honestly, I didn't get past being sore the next day until I completely revamped my general fitness regimen. It used to be that I was really sore the day after my first several ski days but since I got healthier and more fit overall that doesn't happen nearly as much.

TS
TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've changed up my regimen as well so hopefully I'll have the same luck. Probably will try the socks, too. Can't hurt.

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
I was watching a video from Kelly Starrett about mobility and recovery exercises for skiing and he mentioned wearing compression socks after skiing helped with calf soreness the next day. Okay Kelly, you have my attention, but does that really work? Has anyone here used compression socks (not the medical kind) and found it made a difference?

Simply, yes..... no one speaks about it,yet skiing is brutal on the body; reestablishing proper metabolic status & pressure is key post activities & likely has more benefits for weekend warriors than elites.

* I've helped Kelly / M|WOD w/ their 2 most recent courses; full disclosure on my bias.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I still miss the torso back support I got from my old Descente padded sweater. Compression/wraps definitely make a difference for endurance and reduce impacts and jarring throughout the day.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
i agree that i notice a difference. i dont wear while skiing but sometimes afterwards or overnight.

i am using the smartwool ones and not medical ones.

i also use them on long international flights and the feet are less swollen on arrival and hopefully will also help avoid blot clots

TS
TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Simply, yes..... no one speaks about it,yet skiing is brutal on the body; reestablishing proper metabolic status & pressure is key post activities & likely has more benefits for weekend warriors than elites.

* I've helped Kelly / M|WOD w/ their 2 most recent courses; full disclosure on my bias.

I'd never heard of him and here I find someone who worked with Kelly. Weird ogsmile

I'm convinced. Recovery socks on the way. I may need to look into replacements for my CW-X for better compression. My quads could use the help.

TS
TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Anyone have brand recommendations? I'm searching and finding a whole bunch. I'm intrigued by Compressport. They have compression shorts, 3/4 tights and quad sleeves. If the compression is much better than my CW-X than the 3/4 tights seem to make the most sense.

SkiSpeed

Getting off the lift
Skier
@TheArchitect, for skiing, I have been using compression gear (both top and bottom) for the past couple of seasons and I am never going back to non-compression thermals etc. They make a huge difference. For what it is worth, I have been using the CW-X Stabilix YX. In fact, I just ordered another pair earlier today; they sell out and can be tough to find. I am also in the process of recovering from an injury and I am using a leg compression sleeve and it makes a huge difference. Really great stuff.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter

Awesome!

Got hooked on Kelly's stuff a few years ago. Throw some real curves and stop doing RICE for injuries. :)

TS
TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@TheArchitect, for skiing, I have been using compression gear (both top and bottom) for the past couple of seasons and I am never going back to non-compression thermals etc. They make a huge difference. For what it is worth, I have been using the CW-X Stabilix YX. In fact, I just ordered another pair earlier today; they sell out and can be tough to find. I am also in the process of recovering from an injury and I am using a leg compression sleeve and it makes a huge difference. Really great stuff.

I have a couple of the CW-X and am generally happy with them but at times wish there was more compression. I've been reading up and am looking at Opedix DUAL-tec 3/4 tights and the Compressport Pirate 3/4 tight.

The Opedix tight is super expensive but if it really does what it says then it's worth it to me. Day 3 of my Utah trip last year my legs were toast and I didn't have nearly as much fun as I might have if I wasn't so sore.

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
IMG_1033.JPG

Here's my fav, RecoFit. Wicked because absent feet & brief, you'll actually use em.

For the feet, get an old mtn bike tube & VooDoo floss. Even if you only do em once a weekend- it's more than you're currently doing.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Ok. So feeling really ignorant but very interested. I know nothing about compression wear of any sort. Can someone explain the purpose and advantages?

surfandski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Clearwater Beach, Fl and Pisgah Forest, NC
I'm not so concerned about full leg compression as my quads get in ski shape after a week or so but I'm very interested in trying a compression sock on my injured ankle to see if it will reduce swelling. Does anyone have a recommendation for a sock with a lot of compression aimed at preventing swelling? Due to a severe Pilon fracture and lots of metal in my right ankle I have limited dorsi-flexion and when I flex forward I get bone on bone which causes swelling. It would be great if a sock could help with that but it would have to be fairly tight compression and then I wonder if that would effect circulation.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
if you're going from nothing, I don't think it's wise to jump to tight compression without advice from a medical professional.

That being said as I posted previously, I can suggest to try out non-medical compression smartwool socks from STP especially if the idea is extended wear. They are fairly cheap at STP discount so you are not out a lot of money if it doesn't work or doesn't do anything for you. You can get a couple pairs in case you stretch one out. If it's for after workout or sleep time, you don't necessarily need the specific activity-specific one or ultralights to fit into ski boots.
https://www.sierratradingpost.com/s~smartwool-compression/

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Ok. So feeling really ignorant but very interested. I know nothing about compression wear of any sort. Can someone explain the purpose and advantages?
In simple terms, promotes better blood flow and recovery.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January