• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
Mattadvproject

Mattadvproject

Love that powder!
Industry Insider
Tue 8th Aug – First ski day

This was my first day of skiing with Kim. I needed to get warmed up so I suggested that Kim choose the first run. She’d be skiing down low in the trees with some guys she’d met from Virginia and they had been skiing on the downhill mountain bike course. There were some fun bermed turns to be had and we had a fun run down to the bottom of the Tata chair. It was nice to see it this year with a lot more snow on it!

Then we started working on her skiing on the groomers. We did a lot of drills and worked on her fore/aft balance then spent a lot of time working on her lateral balance. I won’t bore you with all the drills we went through (with plenty of mileage inbetween) but I wanted to improve both her physical ability and also her knowledge of the skills utilized for more efficient skiing.

It was a very windy day and there was not much open so we couldn’t get too high. I think maybe we just had the Enlace t-bar or the Tata lift to play on. The god news was that a storm was coming in. On one of our rides on the t-bar, I happened to see an old friend from Telluride, my good friend Frankie. He’s an instructor (he’s actually Argentinian)and was working in Nevados with some clients. Normally Frnakie teaches in Bariloche so it was a (really nice!) surprise to bump into him. Unfortunately it was his last day on the mountain so there was no chance of getting to see him later. Quite random though!

Towards the end of the day we decided to dig a pit above the t-bar and do some stability tests, just to acquaint ourselves a little with the snow conditions. We dug a pit above the Enlace t-bar, only to about the first 100cm’s of snow (it was getting late in the day). There were plenty of layers in there, but we ran through several tests (shovel shear test, column test and extended column tests) and didn’t get any results. That was a good sign. That was pretty much it for the day. Kim went to the hot springs and I had a beverage at the Hotel Alto Nevados bar. It was a nice day and it felt great to be back in Chile! I like skiing in August…..

DSC05967.JPG
First view of the mountain! Great to be back.

DSC05970.JPG
Digging a little snowpit at the top of the Enlace t-bar, late in the day.

DSC05971.JPG
Storm front about to push in. Getting ready for the snow!

DSC05972.JPG
View from the deck of the Hotel Alto Nevados, the relative calm before the storm.

DSC05974.JPG
The calm before the eating frenzy! 48 hours in, 2 steaks down......

- Matt

TS
Mattadvproject

Mattadvproject

Love that powder!
Industry Insider
Wed 9th Aug – Powder Day but no skiing

It was still very windy and raining heavily in Las Trancas. We were scheduled to head up to the mountain at 11am, but the Telluride Adaptive crew came back early and said that the mountain was pretty much shut down. We re-booked the transport for 1pm but the driver didn’t show up till 2:30pm as there were some issues on the road. We decided it was too late to ski so we just went up to hang out at the Hotel Alto Nevados bar. We had a few drinks and watched the snow come in. We were hopeful of a big day of skiing the next day.

DSC05975.JPG
And then the snow came. Hotel Alto Nevados deck looking like winter again!

DSC05976.JPG
Upper beginner area looking good again.

DSC05977.JPG

DSC05979.JPG
Kim's snow dance was paying off!

DSC05980.JPG
Upper hot springs near the Hotel Alto Nevados.

DSC05981.JPG
Lovely sunset setting up over the Las Trancas valley.

DSC05984.JPG
Love the alpen glow!

DSC05986.JPG
Awesome sunset!

- Matt

TS
Mattadvproject

Mattadvproject

Love that powder!
Industry Insider
Thu 10th Aug – Mountain Re-Opens

There was a bunch of new snow and it was a wintery mix with some snow, wind and intermittent sun up on the mountain (semi-nublando!). Not everything was open with the upper lifts (Mirador, Otto) still shut down. We could get up higher than before though, so we were excited to get some skiing in. The wind was blowing from the north, blowing new snow into the resort. The Aguila run next to the Wenche chair was filling in each run with new snow so we headed down into the open funnel and enjoyed some nice soft turns, working on turning the legs without turning the upper body. We did several drills to help raise awareness of separation and leg turning before taking a run down into the trees. We found an untouched run with a nice wide path and I offered Kim first tracks. She wanted me to drop in first so I could test the snow and it was pretty heavy, so I had to use a strong up move to get the skis up out of the snow to turn them.

Kim jumped in next but unfortunately she didn’t have the confidence to link her turns together. She made it down, but you could tell she was a little frustrated with herself. She’d need to try and overcome the trepidation she had for skiing in deeper snow and try to build some confidence. We went back to the groomers to keep working on her skills. We went up the Nono t-bar but with a strong wind blowing into our faces, it was freezing and there was a definite risk of frost-bite, so we only ended up doing one run. We worked on raising awareness of hip rotation and hip angulation, with the next couple of drills/laps, then it was time to put it all together with a little off-piste run, underneath the Wenche chair which had powder and some wind drifts on it (not to mention a challenging sideslip out onto the Aguila run (the funnel run we really liked). Kim rocked it; she was smooth yet aggressive and looked like a skier that belonged on that run. It was fun to see! You could see the understanding, confidence and skills starting to improve. We ended up doing that run again after lunch.

Then we headed back down lower into the trees and we found another nice untouched line. This was a make or break type moment for Kim, she was nervous about skiing the line (it looked good from the bottom where I was standing) but I was trying to coax her into doing it, to help build her confidence in the powder. Just when I thought she was going to back out of it, she jumped in and to her surprise, she was able to link fluid turns down the short face. She was stoked but also slightly annoyed with herself for nearly backing out as she found it was not quite the big deal after all. It was a very positive moment and I hoped she could start to build faith in her skills after this. Time would tell!

DSC05987.JPG
Looking up the Wenche liftline. Our favorite gully is down below to the right.

DSC05988.JPG
The little double chair (Iglu chair) that services some green terrain and can take you back to the Hotel Alto Nevados.

DSC05989.JPG

DSC05990.JPG
Kim conquering her nemesis! So glad she jumped in and made some nice turns. Well done Kim!

- Matt

Last edited:
TS
Mattadvproject

Mattadvproject

Love that powder!
Industry Insider
Fri 11th Aug – Powder Day

The sun was out but it was still windy. There was plenty of new powder to be had. It was time to work on powder technique after having done all the work on stance/balance and rotary skills. We started with some powder next to the Enlace t-bar. She was working on some tactics to make powder easier, the big one being more speed at the start (so her skis came up out of the powder) and more patience in the turn. We added in a rolling of the feet to get the skis on edge earlier in the turn, so the sidecut would engage and the ski would do more of the work.

The cloud came back in again down lower so we were forced up higher. Once above the cloud layer, we could actually see again. We looked for as many deeper pockets of powder that were left over next to the side of the runs and we also found some little wind lips/cornices to try and go off to challenge and then hopefully build confidence. We skied short turns and bigger turns, depending on the terrain. It was a good challenge for Kim and she worked really hard. By the end of the session, you could see a big diiference in her skiing and she made a lot more rounder turns with good speed control , but with more subtle turning of the skis (efficient and controlled leg turning) and early edge engagement. She was skiing faster and with more confidence, it was fun to watch the progression.

We did try the Freeride Zone under the Otto chair, but that is much steeper and that was definitely too much of a challenge, especially mentally. Kim was coming back from ACL surgery and she had lost a lot of confidence, so a lot of the trepidation she had in her skiing, was related back to that. I definitely had to try and reassure her and try to build her trust. I told her I would only take her to places I thought she could ski. Building that trust in herself and her self-confidence, would come. The snow was deep and soft in the Otto area, so even if she had fallen, then it would be a soft landing and she wouldn’t slide far. She made it down and eventually got a rhythm, but she was determined to ski more aggressively. We found a really nice short face at the top of the Otto chair and enjoyed some really nice turns. That helped a lot! We ended up skiing that face several times before the weather came back in and it was time to head back at 4pm.

DSC05992.JPG
Looking up the Otto lift line, the mountain looking amazing!

DSC05993.JPG
Excited to have this view, finally!

DSC05994.JPG
Heading up the Otto chair.

DSC05995.JPG
A little breakfast to go!

DSC05996.JPG
Checking out some of the new avalanche activity next to the Cornisia chair, probably the most dangerous part of the resort. Notice all the tracks....

DSC05997.JPG
2 more slides further down slope. The cornice up high regularly releases and if you are in the gully at the wrong time (which people here like to do), then that would be really bad. This was the same spot someone was buried last season and where a child was killed in a slide 2 or 3 years ago.

DSC05998.JPG
Top of the Cornisia chair and a nice short bowl. I really like all the bowls and gullies Nevados de Chillan has. It's a fun mountain with great natural terrain.

DSC05999.JPG
Plenty of hidden little faces if you like to poke around for powder.

DSC06000.JPG
The Freeride Zone under the Otto chair. Some great advanced terrain in here.

DSC06002.JPG
Looking back up at the Volcan Neuva, the active volcano. It vents at least once a week. You can see all the new ash at the top and the prevailing wind tends to blow it to the west onto the side of the Volcan Vieja.

DSC06004.JPG
Kim's happy place! Skiing a nice untouched face just next to the top of the Otto chair. Just one of the many hidden stashes you can find around the mountain.

DSC06005.JPG
More of the same....

DSC06006.JPG

DSC06007.JPG
The view of the 3rd volcano in the area, the Volcan Nevados de Chillan. That would be on the list for later.....

- Matt

TS
Mattadvproject

Mattadvproject

Love that powder!
Industry Insider
Great photos Matt, keep 'em coming!
The coming week is looking interesting, two storm fronts rolling through!

Plenty of posts and photos still to come, will have to get onto the video's when I'm back in the US where we have better internet. Are you still here? Tuesday and Thursday looking great! Can't wait! 8 days to go...... Awesome meeting you Dave, hope we get to make some turns together.
Kind regards,
Matt

TS
Mattadvproject

Mattadvproject

Love that powder!
Industry Insider
Sat 12th Aug – Tres Marias

It was our last day of skiing. The weather had finally cleared up and the sun was out and the wind was calming down. After all the crazy weather, it was time to enjoy the skiing up high and ski the Tres Marias zone. I was hoping to get Kim into some good new snow and really finish on a high.

We were up early and got a lift around 9am. There were several people to pick up so we didn’t get to the mountain till closer to 10am. The Otto chair was running so we headed straight up high. My plan was to see if we could take the traverse out to the Tres Marias area without skiing going up the Mirador chair as I wasn’t sure if it was going to be open yet. The Mirador chair was spinning but I thought we could do the quick lap and take the traverse across and stay closer to the groomed run for the first run without taking Mirador up, increasing our chances of getting untouched snow.

The sun was out and the view was amazing. There was another group right on our heels so we had to move fast and there were at least 6 in there group, but we let them go. After they were gone, we had the whole run to ourselves. It was awesome.

Tres Marias is approximately 10km’s of off-piste and is mostly pretty gentle, but there are some somewhat short, steeper faces and then there are plenty of fun terrain features like wind-lips, gullies and jumps. It’s a really fun zone. You can ski a lot of different lines in there and even though you are never too far from the piste, you feel like you are on a cool adventure. It’s also a great place to go if avi danger is high in other dangers as the only danger is on short, steeper faces that can easily be avoided if necessary. We enjoyed a great first run (unfortunately my camera died early into the first lap) and then had done one more (the full lap, from the top of the Mirador chair, even further out to the skier’s right) before lunch. The clouds started coming in again so we finished with some easier laps after lunch as Kim was feeling pretty spent. It was nice to end on a high and some fun laps in the off-piste. Kim had really started to improve her skiing and her confidence too. It was nice to really start to see her carving her turns a lot more (we had also worked on earlier edge engagement and that had really helped) and it was the perfect way to end our session.

DSC06009.JPG
Dropping in on run #1 in Tres Marias.

DSC06012.JPG
There's so many of these fun features to be found!

DSC06013.JPG
Nice snow in this little gully.

DSC06014.JPG
Rightfully so!

DSC06017.JPG
Bottom pitch, high clouds rolling in.

DSC06018.JPG
The new triple, plenty of ground clearance.....

DSC06020.JPG
Looking up at the frontside of the mountain.

DSC06022.JPG
Tata chair.

DSC06024.JPG
2nd run, a little wind affected at the top.

DSC06025.JPG

DSC06026.JPG
Better snow lower down.

DSC06027.JPG

DSC06028.JPG
Our tracks, nice turns Kim!

DSC06030.JPG
Really nice snow towards the bottom.

DSC06032.JPG
Of course it has to dump when we are leaving! Kim putting a positive face on her leaving day!

- Matt

TS
Mattadvproject

Mattadvproject

Love that powder!
Industry Insider
Sun 13th Aug – Storm/Travel Day

The plan was to drop Kim (and Maria from TASP) off in Concepcion. It was storming hard with lots of new snow and the going was very slow. There was a lot of new snow in Las Trancas and we’d heard that most of the mountain was shut down, so it sounded like we weren’t really missing anything up there anyway. There were a lot of cars on the road, with a lot of people leaving towards the end of the holiday period and other people coming up to play in the snow. The lower switchback down valley from Las Trancas was jammed with traffic and the going was very slow. There were a lot of people putting on or taking off chains in the middle of the road and there was no way of getting around them (no pull offs where people could fix their chains). It took several frustrating hours to get to Chillan. It reminded me of the chaos of the roads in Gulmarg, India.

There was flooding in Chillan when we finally got down valley and we saw streams running down the roads. There were massive puddles everywhere and the town was inundated with water. It was quite the scene. Ramiro stopped at an awesome asado place in Chillan for lunch and had some bbq. It was a large shed with many bench seats inside. There was a goat roasting over an open fire with sausages hanging around the ceiling and a big charcoal grill covered in lamb. We had goat and lamb with potatoes and little cakes with salsa on top. Then a singer came around and serenaded all the ladies, it was really fun. The sign inside send that if you leave and don’t come out smelling of smoke and meat, then you probably never really there. It was very fitting. That was my first proper asado and I really liked it. I think we’ll have to hit that on the way back with the rest of the bigger group.

Then we drove to the airport and Maria was (hopefully) just in time to make her flight. Gordon arrived at 4:30pm with all his bags. Kim was staying behind to meet a Chilean friend and would be in Chile for a few more days. Gordon, Ramiro and I headed back up the mountain. The road was a lot clearer and we didn’t even need chains up that first switchback. We made it up in good time. Gordon put his stuff away and then we went up the road (5 minute walk) to Oliva’s bar for an awesome steak dinner (had a few of those now!).

DSC06033.JPG
The carnage of trying to leave the mountain during a storm and people leaving the mountain at the end of the holidays......

DSC06034.JPG
Stopping for lunch at the Asado place in Chillan. Ramiro and Kim.

DSC06035.JPG
Racks of lamb cooking on the bbq.

DSC06036.JPG
Goat slow cooking over an open fire with spicy sausage drying in the background.

DSC06039.JPG
The cantador came over to serenade the ladies! Maria and Kim getting some love!

DSC06041.JPG

DSC06043.JPG
I think the name of this place is Gwatonchi, on the outskirts of Chillan on the road out of town to Nevados de Chillan.

DSC06044.JPG
It is literally a shed! Don't go in there if you don't want to come out smelling like bbq!

DSC06045.JPG
The return of El Gordon! Gordon has done 2 sessions in India with me and 3 sessions in Japan. This was his first time in South America and he was excited!

- Matt

TS
Mattadvproject

Mattadvproject

Love that powder!
Industry Insider
Mon 14th Aug – Resort Powder Day

What an awesome powder day! We had Eric, an American guide (from MT) with us to show us around the resort. Eric is looking at guiding with me in the future and I wanted to see him in action, so he had agreed to show us around for 2 days. It was also Gordon’s first day and I was keen to show him the resort, but unfortunately he didn’t have much of a view as it was snowing hard and visibility wasn’t great. It was also slow going up the access road due to heavy traffic (still the high season and public holiday), so we didn’t get on mountain till after 10am. We started on the Enlace t-bar (the Nono wasn’t open yet) and then skied the steep face next to it. The snow was deep but heavy. That was definitely a decent warm-up for Gordon. We took the t-bar again skied and traversed all the way across to a ridgeline right at the bottom of the freeride zone. It was really nice, with much drier and deeper snow. We ended up hitting the same line again. We were setting quite a fast line. Gordon was already getting tired (and he had new ski boots that were killing his feet) so decided to take it easy and have a rest.

The Nono t-bar was running so we went up and did the traverse out to the mid-station of the Otto and had a couple of bowls to ourselves, untracked. Then the Otto chair opened and Eric and I jumped on that and headed to the top. This time we went and scoped a lot in the sidecountry area, outside of the ski area, next to the Freeride Zone/Otto chair. Eric took me to a steep chute that he calls “Supertubes.” I had skied it with Paul my guest from last year, a couple of times, but never gotten first tracks. It looked great. Eric also told me that Patrol will actually put a shot in it, as it can go big. There was an old bomb hole at the top (from before the current storm) and then Eric did a ski cut across the top of the roll over and then he dropped. He made fast, GS turns all the way down. Once he was at his safe spot, I dropped in next. It was absolute bliss. The snow was soft and consistent, with ok light I was able to let the skis run a little. I took it all the way down and then crossed over the river at the bottom to the other side of the valley. It was my first time crossing over the valley and much easier than traversing on the same side the whole time as I had done with Paul the previous year. We came out near the old bottling plant and then crossed the bridge back into the resort. It was great to see that little corner of the valley.

We went and grabbed Gordon to take him on the same run; he couldn’t miss out on this! We skied the same line again, staying slightly right for more fresh lines. It was awesome! Gordon had a blast, making some huge fast GS turns, skiing all the way down to the valley and across to the other side. We went back to the same area for a 3rd run, watching a group of about 8 Chilean riders ski an untouched bowl at the same time. Crazy stuff, they definitely didn’t have much caution. We went back to Supertubes again, this time to push further to the skier’s right, but just as I dropped in, the cloud came back in and I couldn't see a thing. It was pea soup. I had to pull up and feel my way down with the guys below calling out to guide me to them. That was a little disappointing but I laughed as I’d already skied some amazing lines and it was still early.

Next up on the hit list was an area called the Elephant Rock. This is a little bit of a contentious line, in an area that normally you don’t want to go into, but on its day (and today the conditions were good to ski it), it looked great. Only a few people had skied the face and we got to it, right on the edge of the cloud layer, we were keen to hit it. Another group approached and we made ready to go. Eric jumped in first, taking a nice air over the lip and onto the face slashing big fast turns. I did the same thing too, giving him some room and then going for it. The snow was the best of the day; I sprayed up a couple of nice plumes as I made fast turns, before having to slow down as I entered the cloud layer again. We took the tight funnel down before crossing over and into the trees above the bottom of the Wenche chair. We took that up and went up right to the top to the Buena Vista restaurant for some late lunch. That would be the end of the day pretty much and after that, we skied the groomers to get back in time for our 4pm shuttle bus. What a first day for Gordon and maybe my best day in Nevados. Eric had done a great job of showing us to new places. Cheers Eric!

Unfortunately, with the poor lighting, I didn't take any photos, so let's move on to the next day when I did take a lot of photos and the lighting was better......

Tue 15th Aug – Valle Hermosa/Tres Marias Day

Eric was leading us again this day and the plan was to head to the Valle Hermosa. This is the next valley over to the looker’s right of the mountain. It’s behind the big peak directly to the right of the ski area and was a new area for me. It would be about an hour’s skin from the top of the Otto chair. It was pretty easy to find it with plenty of obvious landmarks, but there were definitely some technical spots. There were a couple of steeper downhill sections which can make for some sporty skiing with skins on and the bindings in climbing mode. I didn’t face plant but came close once. It was a pretty easy skin at the start, with a mellow gradual climb. The final pitch is the hardest; it gets a lot steeper on a couple of faces.

There was a lot of volcanic ash from a recent eruption on one of the faces and it actually gave a lot of extra grip, so you could set a really steep skin track, it was quite surprising how direct you could be. There were a couple of dicey sidehills before we reached the top. It was definitely a challenge in places and could be tough for a newer backcountry traveler. We all made it in one piece and had a well-earned rest at the top. Gordon had dropped his brand new Oakley goggles off his helmet and didn’t realize it until we reached the top (he was last in the group). Thankfully another group was behind us and about 10 minutes later, they summited too. One of their guys had the goggles so Gordon was stoked (and very lucky!).

The plan was to look at the main line, the classic route. It was one of the most impressive sights I have ever seen. I massive 2,500ft open chute, several hundred feet wide. It was hard to tell what the snow was going to be like, it wasn’t tracked but how wind-affected it was, we couldn’t tell. We had a steep face and potential avalanche starting zone to ride down first, so Eric cut it (no result obviously) and then we dropped in one at a time. I had a great safe spot up high to watch the other two ski the top of the line and then I dropped in last.

Well, unfortunately, the wind had gotten to the snow and it was pretty much hard-pack. It was icy in places and then sastrugi in other places. I had a wry smile on my face as I got down, to have worked so hard and get this, was hard to take at first, but it didn’t matter really to me. For me, it was all about skiing an amazing line and experiencing a whole new part of the area. This place has amazing potential, to ski it on a good powder day would be one of the best runs in the world. I know Eric has had some all-time runs in that zone so I am sure my time will come. Now, it all sounds a bit like doom and gloom, well that wasn’t really the case as about half-way down, the snow started to soften and we found really nice, creamy soft powder. We enjoyed some first turns together, skiing in a group, through gullies and over windlips and other really fun features. We saw a group who had placed tents in the valley and had obviously been doing a bunch of touring in the area. Quite the zone they had.

Then we came to the end and we had to take a short bootpack to get back to the ridgeline that separates the Hermosa Valley from Nevados de Chillan. We hiked past a bubbling hot springs (the smell of sulpher and rotten eggs was intense) and then we had an amazing view of the Las Trancas Valley and the ski area. We had a difficult ski down through the trees and a tight track back to the resort, ending back above the hot springs and the Hotel Alto Nevados.

We had lunch and then Eric and I headed off for one more run. Gordon was spent so he stayed behind. This time the plan was to go ski the skier’s left side of the Tres Marias area where it is zoned as “area freeride.” I had never been in there and was keen to check it out. We started off on the Otto chair and then took the cat track across to Tres Marias. About half way along that cat track, we cut left off the side of run, jumping over some old debris from the grooming machine and the cat track, landing in soft snow with some high speed turns. We followed the gully for a while before heading back to the right to regain the ridge.

Then we had some really nice low-angle turns for a while on top of the ridge before we had to cut right. Lower down we could see the towers of the new chairlift (it’s a really handy landmark right now, even though it’s broken and not running, it still serves a purpose) so we aimed for it. Now this is where it gets to be hard work. There are multiple ridges and gullies that you have to cross and some of them are full of small trees and bushes. It can make for very hard going. We had to do a lot of bushwhacking and some hiking at the end, to get out. We’d had great riding at the start, but getting out this way, was pretty tough and it was questionable if it was worth it. With clients I would have said no. I was sure there was another way with an easier out; we’d just have to try and find it tomorrow. Until then!

DSC06048.JPG
Start of the adventure! Getting off the Otto chair and the short walk uphill to the spot we like to put our skins on.

DSC06049.JPG
Looking back towards the Volcan Nevados de Chillan. You can see the formation of sastrugi (lower right corner of the photo) showing the direction of the prevailing wind.

DSC06050.JPG
Gordon enjoying the view, there is great skiing in the bowl straight ahead of him over the edge (we skied that later in the week).

DSC06051.JPG
Winds over the top of the two volcanoes, Volcan Neuvo (left, the active volcano) and Viejo (right).

DSC06053.JPG
Eric (left) and Gordon (right) with the ski area behind them. You can see a small white square on the ridge directly behind the guys, that is the microwave tower right next to the top of the Otto chair. That really nice face I talked about in the previous photo of Gordon is right behind the guys.

DSC06054.JPG
Heading way out into the backcountry. You can see all the volcanic ash on the faces of the mountains directly to the east of the Volcan Neuvo. It actually gives a lot more grip on the uphill when skinning and you can set a surprisingly steep track.

DSC06056.JPG
Nearly there! The last few pitches were quite steep and technical.

DSC06060.JPG
The views kept getting higher and higher!

DSC06064.JPG
Gordon about to make his last kick turn of the day. Happy times for him!

DSC06065.JPG
Down in this valley there is a natural hot spring. Will have to visit that next time.

DSC06068.JPG
Reaching the top of our climb and all 3 volcanoes are in shot; Nevados de Chillan (left), Neuvo (middle) and Viejo (right).

DSC06073.JPG
Valle Hermoso! The area we skied down. Such an amzing zone with huge vertical and amazing views. Even though the snow wasn't the best at the top, the scenery and the whole adventure of it all, made it more than worthwhile. Can't wait to head out there again soon hopefully.

DSC06075.JPG
After a quick bootpack to regain the ridge, you get a fabulous view of the resort again. Some people had walked up there without snowshoes on, a pretty decent effort! If you look closely, you should be able to make out the Otto chairlift behind me.

DSC06077.JPG
The amazing view down into the Las Trancas Valley. What an awesome day!

- Matt

TS
Mattadvproject

Mattadvproject

Love that powder!
Industry Insider
I'm taking the day off (it's nuking snow and wind at the moment) and I have another guide (Eric) off taking the group on the mountain today, so catching up with the blog. Hence the sudden torrent of posts! Let's continue the action.......

Aug 16th – Backcountry area and new lines in Tres Marias

It was another nice weather day with light winds and clear, sunny skies. The major goal for the day was to find a better way out of the skier’s left side of Tres Marias, but first we started with a quick lap just above the Otto chair and the start of the backcountry area. I had skied that a bunch with Paul the last season, but had only looked at it from a far on the way out to Valle Hermosa. It had only a couple of sets of tracks in it that time, but this time when we got out there (after the very easy 2 minute hike!) we saw that it had been hit very hard. That was to be expected given it had just been the high season and a national public holiday long weekend.

There was still untouched snow up higher in the main face, so we hiked for about 4 minutes and then reached the end of the tracks. I dropped in first and did the little launch off the small cornice, before making some fast turns down to a knoll on the flats. Gordon came down next and then we skied together down the gully to the left. This part of the run was still in the shadows but we found some nice soft snow. Then we traversed back towards the ski area and down towards the Supertubes area. This time we cut a little further right and found a nice, genuinely steep face between some cliff bands and made some jump turns. Then it was across to the other side of the valley and back out across the bridge close to the Hotel Alto Nevados. That was a nice warm-up lap.

Then we headed back up the Otto chair and traversed out to the lookers left all the way to Tres Marias (I’m liking how quickly and easily you can access that zone from the Otto chair). The plan was to try and find a better way out after our scramble the day before. This time we stayed a little more central and stayed up higher, further out to the right. The same thing happened again though. We got sucked into making a hard traverse to the right (after some really nice skiing at the start) and we had to do way too much bush whacking. We ended up in the exact same spot as the previous day, so still too inefficient. After that it was time for lunch down at the Tata café next to the bottom of the Tata lift. We had a couple of the awesome spicy sausage sandwiches (longuipan) and then planned our next run.

I had seen some tracks leading to a cat track that passed underneath the new triple chair and I thought that must be the better way out. I’d seen tracks leading down the initial gully we had skied next to and Eric had shown me the waterfall at the end of the run with a cat track running out next to it. That must be our out. I told Gordon of my theory and we agreed that we would go for it. Instead of skiing half-way down the line and cutting right, we would stay left and follow the main gully. Sure enough it worked! We had great skiing at the top (Gordon had a decent face-plant and compression at one point which resulted in his airbag burst zipper bursting open on impact, he was fine thankfully) with several nice faces. Then we skied down into the gully and eventually came to a narrow steep part which couldn’t be traversed.

There was an obvious bootpack heading out of the gully up to the right, so we took that and regained the ridgetop. From here I could see the rest of the run through open trees and the end of the trail where it met the cat track. This was definitely the way out. We skied out through the sun-crusted bottom half of the run (definitely had to throw in some jump turns in the nastier bits) and out onto the track. It was a snowmobile trail. We followed it and it passed underneath the new triple chair and eventually I could see the groomer down to the Tata area and the Tres Marias home trail. We had made it and now we had our easy exit. This opened up a whole new area and I was excited of the prospect of getting first tracks in this area. It would be an awesome run with consistent cold snow on it. What a great find. We headed back up to the Alto Nevados for a snack and a beer; it had been a rewarding day. Whilst I love to have a good run, it’s even more rewarding to find new runs and terrain and so this had been a very successful day.

DSC06079.JPG
My view from the top. Not bad for a 2 minute hike from the top of a popular chair......

DSC06080.JPG
Gordon dropping in, my tracks are to the looker's right of him.

DSC06081.JPG
Gordon making the most of the room....

DSC06082.JPG
Plenty of fresh up higher to the looker's right.

DSC06125.JPG
View of our tracks coming out of the new line (for me) in the Tres Marias area. It's a great run with an easy out (now that we know it!) and hardly anyone skis it. Most people ski the skier's right side of Tres Marias so there's plenty of untouched snow on the left.

DSC06126.JPG
The crucial part. If you follow the gully, you MUST make the short bootpack out to re-gain the ridge, or else you will get stuck in the really tight and bushy part of the creek. That would not be fun! Much easier to hike out.

DSC06127.JPG
A fun run!

DSC06129.JPG
Gordon taming the guardian of the Tata restaurant. What a ferocious beast! A little more to the left please......

- Matt

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Be careful with that beast. Looks like there is risk of licking a hole through your glove. ;)

TS
Mattadvproject

Mattadvproject

Love that powder!
Industry Insider
Thu 17th August – Volcan Nevados de Chillan

It was another sunny day but the wind was up and it was a pretty cold start. The plan this day was to try and skin over towards the Volcan Nevados de Chillan and see how high up we could get. This was another new area for me and as it was just Gordon and I, I didn’t want to go too crazy. I didn’t think we’d make it all the way to the top (nor did I really want to), but I wanted to at least push out and get part of the way. The mountain was still in the shade by the time we got to the Mirador chair and the wind was up, so we hung out in the Buena Vista restaurant till the sun hit the slopes. It took about half an hour before it had warmed up enough for us to jump on the Mirador chair. We got off and went straight ahead. We could see the signs for the ski area boundary and the freeride terrain, plus the volcano exclusion zone which says to only proceed at your own risk. Gordon and I were fine with that and I could always use Gordon as a human shield if the rocks started flying…...

We had started to get our gear ready and put our skins on when a patroller came over to speak to us. He didn’t speak English, but he asked us where we were going and we told him of our plan. He told us to not go up the active volcano (Volcan Nuevo) and then he checked our backcountry wrist bands. This is a recent safety program that the patrol has in place where backcountry users must sign a waiver and state they are carrying the right equipment and are responsible for themselves. Once you are signed off you then receive an orange rubber bracelet with an ID number on it. The patroller took our numbers and asked us to check in with them at the end of the day, to let them know we were ok. We agreed and thanked him for his concern. I’ve not had anyone check my wristband before and I’m really happy to see the patrol being proactive and concerned for our safety. Cheers guys!

The skin out to the start of the Volcan Nevados de Chillan took about 1.5 hours along mostly flat, rock strewn landscape. There were a couple of flat spots but it was a couple of miles until we reached the bottom of our objective. Gordon was feeling a little tired by this stage, so we agreed that he would stay on a knoll that gave him a good line of sight to my line. I would go up higher. I skinned up the side of the main ridge for another 30 minutes to a small volcanic cone. I didn’t want to go any further than that, being around lunchtime and also being so far away from the resort. The skin up was steep in places and the snow firm. As I got higher I had amazing views to the north. Behind Nevados is the main range of the Andes, with spectacular mountains and volcanoes as far as the eye could see. The view alone was worth all the effort, I didn’t really care about the skiing after that.

I made it to the top of my line and got myself ready. I had some food and water, put my skins away and looked down my line. What had looked pretty steep and gnarly from a distance didn’t look so bad up close. I was worried that I might ski into a volcanic fissure but whatever that small crater was; it was really old and was well filled in. I decided to ski right down the middle of it and then down the steeper face below. The snow was pretty firm, definitely not epic powder turns but Gordon got some good footage from afar on my video camera. I skied onto the flats and then Gordon skied down from the knoll to join me. Then we had to figure out how to get back.

I knew we need to head left and in hindsight, I was probably over cautious, you don’t have to push as hard as I thought to get back to the Tres Marias run. There was a couple of times we climbed onto the top of a knoll when we could have skied around it (better to be safe than sorry, always good to stay high when scouting new lines). It turned out the return was very easy. All the ridges and gullies will naturally funnel you to the left; all you have to do is follow them. We had a couple of nice steeper faces towards the end and we followed the snowmobile tracks before finally, we could see the top of the new triple chair (it might not be working right now but it sure does make for a great landmark to follow out there). We made it pretty easily.

The skiing from the bottom of the volcano had turned out to be very mellow (I personally wouldn’t bother with hiking all the way to the top given how hard the snow was about ½ way up), but at least it was easy to get out. I certainly felt much better about pushing much further out to the skier’s right of the Tres Marias area, knowing how easy it was to get back. I’m really glad we did it and I learned a lot. Just to see the proper high Andes Mountains behind the resort was worthwhile in itself. Whether or not we will go back there to ski again, I’m not sure. I’ll definitely wait for Eric to come back (he’s taking part in a freeride comp in Antillanca right now and will be away for 4 days) and maybe we’ll go all the way to the top. It would be cool to say we’ve summited the volcano.

After that we were pretty much done for the day so we headed up to the Alto Nevados bar. I met a couple of the Pugski crew (Spruce Goose Gus and Dave-o); it’s always nice to connect the faces to the names. Seems like everyone is enjoying Nevados! The volcano even had a little burp and let off a cloud of ash as we drove down to Las Trancas (first time seeing that) but it didn’t last long. Another fun and rewarding day in Nevados de Chillan!

DSC06139.JPG
Sheltering at the Buena Vista restaurant until the sun hit the resort. Awesome view!

DSC06141.JPG
Up we went, past the Volcan Nuevo and out to the looker's left.

DSC06142.JPG
Little rest on the way. Someone had bootpacked the whole way (you can see boot prints to the left of Gordon). That's pretty keen!

DSC06145.JPG
Beautiful view of the Volcan Nevados de Chillan. My line is the lower cone to the right of the picture.

DSC06146.JPG
The volcano and my objective to the right, the smaller cone.

DSC06149.JPG
A closer view of the cone I would ski. I thought that there might be a hole in the middle of the cone but it was totally filled in when I got to it. I skied right through the middle of it.

DSC06150.JPG
View of the higher Andes as I climbed the side of the volcano. That was worth the hike on it's own.

DSC06152.JPG
Looking back to Gordon who stopped down lower. He's in the middle of the picture, about 2/3 of the way up the shot. I skinned from him to the top in about 30 minutes, with a stop for water and half a sandwich.

DSC06153.JPG
A closer view of the higher Andes, looking north from Nevados. Pretty spectacular!

DSC06155.JPG
Had to do the obligatory selfie thing.....

DSC06157.JPG
We skied out via this mellow open gully. Beautiful backdrop.

DSC06158.JPG
Gordon hanging out on the new (non-functioning triple chair).

DSC06160.JPG
My timing was slightly off. I got him landing as he jumped off. Solid dismount. An 8.5 from the Swedish judge!

DSC06162.JPG
Another beautiful day in Chile. Sunset in Las Trancas. Me gusta mucho!

- Matt

TS
Mattadvproject

Mattadvproject

Love that powder!
Industry Insider
Fri 18th Aug – New Group Arrives

Gordon and I were due to go skiing, but a big storm was hammering the mountain and all the lifts up high, were shut down for the day. I had all my gear on, but when we looked at the website and saw most of the lifts shut, we pulled the plug. It was a smart move as nothing opened up later in the day and I had the rest of the new group arriving that afternoon, so it was better to stay behind and help co-ordinate things with them. It poured with rain all day down in Las Trancas, but up high, it was snowing hard thankfully.

There were 3 more people coming; a father (Gavin) and son (Richard) from the UK who I had skied with in Japan and then a new snowboarder who I hadn’t ridden with before, Jacques from Mammoth Mountain, California. Ramiro had gone down to Concepcion to meet the guys around 1pm and had taken them to the Asado (bbq joint) in Chillan on the way back up to the mountain. They arrived around 4:30pm. They were all pretty tired, but after unpacking and getting the quick tour of the complex, we went out to the seafood restaurant just down the road at 630pm and had a great meal. The food was really good.

Then it was back to the Cabanas los Hualles and we had to go through the indoor portion of our avalanche safety training. Everyone was pretty tired and we were done by 10pm so everyone hit the hay, ready for an early start and hopefully an epic powder day.

Sat 19th August – Day 1, another powder day

It had finally turned to snow down in Las Trancas when I went over to breakfast, I liked the idea of the storm coming in wetter and then getting progressively colder. That should help with the bonding hopefully. We had breakfast and then our lift arrived at 830am. We were at the mountain before 9am, but the driver would only take us to the Tata lift. It wasn’t quite ready by 9am so we had to wait about 10 minutes. Finally it opened and up we went.

Our first order of business was to get the boys signed up for the backcountry program and sign their waivers and get their wristbands. That took about 15 minutes all up and by 945am, we were ready to ride. The only upper lifts running were the Wenche chairlift and the Nono t-bar. Later on the Cornisia chairlift would open up. That would be enough to access some decent terrain. The plan was to head up the Nono and then traverse out towards the mid-station of the Otto, where the steeper terrain is. We got to the very first bowl and it was untouched, so we dropped in there, getting a feel for the new snow. It was nice, not too deep, but deep enough and consistent enough to provide a nice soft carpet. We enjoyed fast turns all the way to the bottom. Jacques could more than hold his own with the group, so it looked like we had ourselves a nice strong little posse. This would be a good group.

We went up again, this time traversing further left past the chair and down into the next bowl. The snow was also really good. Lower down we hung a sharp left and enjoyed some nice turns through a brushy area with good snow. The snow was a little deeper here in this more sheltered spot. We went back up and did one more, this time hitting a bowl just outside the ski area boundary. It was also really nice. The laps were coming thick and fast so we kept hitting the same area and pushing further left. Finally we stayed high and we standing close to a big, steep face called “Supertubes.” We’d gotten first tracks on it the week before with Eric and it had been epic. This was a steeper, longer line that was begging to be skied. I felt confident with the new snow, it was set up pretty good and we’d not seen any movement from other skiers or even any sluffs, so we lined up on it.

I dropped in first, rolling off a small windlip and pointing it straight before making any turns. I had a lot of speed, but the snow was smooth and allowed for some really exciting high speed turns. I ripped it down the face before turning hard right, under the shelter of a large rock outcrop. I called back to the others that the snow felt good and they could drop in one at a time. In they went. Jacques came first, giving a big yell of excitement at the bottom. The came Gavin, Richard and Gordon who skied further left and had a really nice line. Everyone was stoked. We traversed out to the right before heading left, across the creek and onto the other side of the valley for the return crossing. We saw other people skiing some really steep lines and thankfully, nothing was moving. That was a good sign.

We had a nice lunch back at the Hotel Alto Nevados and then we went back out (about 230pm) for a couple of hours of onsnow beacon practice. I found what must have been an old lift line in the trees and I set up a few scenarios. We practiced single and multiple burials, in teams of two and with practice, the guys got really fast. The last scenario with 3 victims, the guys had all beacons uncovered in 7 minutes. My wife would have been very happy with that! That was it for the day and we waited for our transport for the lift back down the valley to Las Trancas. We had a lovely meal at the accommodation, Chilean style French onion soup, with Salmon and bean infused mash potato, finished off with a crème brule! Good times! It had been an amazing first day, I’m not sure if I can show the guys any lines better than what we experienced today, but I will give it a red hot go.

DSC06163.JPG
Signing up for the backcountry program, Gavin (UK) in red, Jacques (USA, CA) in black in the middle and Richard (UK) in the back in dark blue.

DSC06164.JPG
Gordon entering the Supertubes area at mack schnell!

DSC06165.JPG
Great snow allowed for fast, consistent turns. Sorry I didn't get more photos, was too busy guiding and skiing, though I did get plenty of POV footage!

DSC06167.JPG
Initial beacon training. Gavin and Richard practicing multiple burials.

DSC06169.JPG
Celebratory adult beverages at the end of the day. A great start to the trip for the new crew!

- Matt

TS
Mattadvproject

Mattadvproject

Love that powder!
Industry Insider
when i save up a little more cash...well, mostly when the kids get older ;)

no, but seriously - i love your descriptions of both the skiing, but also of the experience, the culture!
your china trip report on epic remains one of my favourites ever.

Thanks Sabrina! I do enjoy writing and living the trip all over again, thank you for following along. The China trip was a fun time (well, the first bit, Hemu got scary with all the avalanches....), being in such a new area for skiing was an adventure in itself. I think I'd get bored just going on a regular ski trip, I have to have the adventure of going to these exotic places and immersing ourselves in all the culture too, that's just as important as the skiing in my mind. Thank Warren Miller and TGR for planting that seed in me too. I'm happy I got to Xinjiang Province before they both did! Thanks again Sabrina!
Kind regards,
Matt

TS
Mattadvproject

Mattadvproject

Love that powder!
Industry Insider
Sunday 20th August – Bluebird Powder Day

The sun was out and it was time to get after it. The snow had really held up nicely the day before and we were more confident in its stability. The plan was to get up to the top of the Otto chair after it had beens down the whole day previously. The whole of the upper mountain was untracked. We were out early and were one of the first inline. We went up the Otto and then did the traverse out to the skier’s left at the top. There were already some tracks in the first face so we headed further left and had to walk through a quick rock band and then we could drop in. It was untouched and nice and soft. The snow had definitely settled more from the previous day and it was obvious that the wind had gotten to it as well, but it was still a nice fresh blanket.

We skied down enjoying untouched fresh and then we came to a bowl that fed to the left into the main gully and away from the ski area. This was the same bowl we saw the 7 or 8 Chilean riders drop at the same time, the previous week when it was just Eric, Gordon and I. We gave it a little more respect than that and we skied from ridge to ridge, one at a time. The snow was really nice. Then we dropped into the main gully and enjoyed more nice turns and out at the bottom, crossing the valley and then across the bridge next to the Hotel Alto Nevados.

We decided to ski a similar lap but this time we did the quick 2 minute hike straight up from the top of the Otto and into the nice bowl at the start of the backcountry. We were still ahead of the pack; most people were staying inbounds and hadn’t made their way out to where we were. We skied the exact same line, but this time, we stopped less and skied longer pitches, with bigger, faster turns. There were definitely same big smiles on faces and some hooting and hollering from the group as we made it down to the bottom. For our next lap, we opened Supertubes. It was unreal. Steep, fast turns, Gordon in particular, really let his skis run and I saw him do some of his biggest and fastest turns ever. It was cool to watch. Once we had done that, we did one more lap and then headed in for an early lunch (better to get in early for lunch so you can get a table and then head back out when everyone else is coming in so the slopes are much quieter).

After lunch, it was time to take the group over to the other side of the mountain where they hadn’t seen yet and do some laps in the good ol’ Tres Marias area. I could see tracks already on the right side of the area, so we went straight to the skier’s left side (my new favorite side!). We skied a nice line, staying close to the gully on the left, enjoying multiple steep faces, wind lips and waves with big slash turns and general fun skiing. We took the easy out and then circled around for another one. This time we took all 4 chairs (Tata, Wenche, Cornisia and Mirador) to the very top and did the skier’s right side. We pushed out quite far and found good snow with only a few tracks. The terrain is very similar on this side too, with plenty of fun terrain features to play on. The guys still had energy left so we went back around (this time via the Otto chair) and did the left side again. It was another fun run, this time we stayed a little more to the right and had a really nice long run, with a more sustained pitch and more turns to be had.

That was pretty much it for the day. It had been an exceptional day and probably the best day overall with the group. I was really happy they had gotten to ski some great lines. A great day!

DSC06171.JPG
Richard, near the top of the Freezide Zone under the Otto chair.

DSC06172.JPG
Richard

DSC06173.JPG
Jacques on the board with Gordon getting ready to drop.

DSC06174.JPG
Gordon

DSC06175.JPG
Gavin

DSC06176.JPG
Jacques

DSC06179.JPG
Jacques and Gordon near the bottom of the run.

DSC06180.JPG
Group shot

DSC06183.JPG
Jacques taking the drop into the upper bowl. Note the old cornice collapse.

DSC06184.JPG
We dropped in where the cornice was very small and a previous cornice collapse had already occurred. Richard dropping in.

DSC06186.JPG
Gordon letting them run.

DSC06188.JPG
From left to right; Gordon, Richard, Gavin and Jacques. A fun crew and strong riders.

DSC06191.JPG
Looking across to the Mirador chair.

DSC06194.JPG
The crew with the Volcan Nevados de Chillan in the background.

- Matt

Attachments

• DSC06182.JPG
    DSC06182.JPG
    22.9 KB · Views: 1
TS
Mattadvproject

Mattadvproject

Love that powder!
Industry Insider
Monday 21st August – Bluebird but warming up

Our plan for the day was to tour over to the Valle Hermoso as it was another nice looking day, but when we got up to the mountain, there were 75kph winds up top and snow was being transported onto leeward aspects (potentially into the area we were planning on skiing), so we decided to cancel the Valle Hermoso plan and decided to stay closer to the resort.

The secondary plan was to go to Tres Marias, to ski the left side of the run and explore new lines. The guys also wanted to focus on some avalanche education, so we dug a pit (150cm deep and 200cm wide) on a similar aspect to what we would be skiing. We practiced our strategic shoveling techniques and then we tested for layers (in the sidewalls) and did some hand hardness tests. There were a lot of layers, especially in the middle of the top 150cm’s, but we need to test their bonding. We did a shovel shear test, 3 column tests and then an extended column test. We had some failures in the compression tests around the 25 to 27 tap marks and at the ECT, a 27 but no propagation. Good to see.

We then skied a really nice line at the top, finding nice soft snow until about half way down the run, then the snow got very wet and sticky due to the rapidly warming temperatures. A few times I nearly came out of my skis it was so sticky, so this made for rather unsafe skiing conditions. We got down in one piece and then had lunch at Alto Nevados. We’d taken a long time to dig our pit and analyze the snow and it was late after we finished lunch. No one really felt like skiing down low, so we decided to continue with the educational side of things and do some more work on the beacon skills. From the previous training it was apparent that the guys all needed to work on their pinpoint phase of their searches (bracketing especially and probing) so we did some individual practice. I did a demo and then everyone had a go. There was some really good improvement from everyone, the bracketing was much better and the buried beacons were found a lot more efficiently. Well done team! We headed back to the Cabanas los Hualles and had a nice meal of artichoke salad, hot pot lasagna and peach cream sorbet.

DSC06195.JPG
Let the hard work begin!

DSC06196.JPG
Building team spirit.

DSC06197.JPG
Testing for layers in the sidewalls of the pit.

DSC06198.JPG
Gavin isolating a 30cm x 30cm column for a Column Test (CT).

- Matt