• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Cheap surplus ski sets suggestions

alfredo

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hi,

I'd like to buy a pair or two of those cheap surplus ski sets (with climbing skins) because the price is very attractive and I don't wish to spend much on an activity that lasts 5-7 days/year maximum, plus most of it is actually traveling on snow rather than skiing down (though I occasionally do).

I did see some stores shipping to Europe (where I am) having Swiss army surplus with Fritschi FT88 bindings (which apparently can also take alpine boots) at around $30, however since there are also probably Danish, Finnish and Norwegian surplus skis around I'd like to know what you'd recommend. Also if there are any sellers you'd recommend I'd gladly follow your links.

5AXt9oS.jpg
xlFP9a2.jpg

I am shorter and heavier than average (since I travel on snow with a rucksack on that'd make me even more heavier), I don't plan on reaching high speeds but just glide down on my way back to the car.

Thank you

Alfredo

Royal

UTAH
Skier
I picked up a pair of these skis last summer for $10 with skins But I have not yet fixed them up for skiing(tune ,wax adjust binding etc... ) they are HEAVY. I picked them up for fun, but would not have spent more than $10 for them. If you are just doing low angle stuff get some light Cross country/nordic ski gear something with metal edges. you should be able to pick up older 3 pin stuff pretty cheap and it will work much better. if you do need to have your heel locked down, just about any more modern touring setup even with a rail type binding will be far superior in function. I see stuff in the $100 to $150 range all time in my area(Utah) You did not say where you are located.

Royal

Sponsor

Staff online