• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Kbat117

Doing snow dances
Skier
So I have been informed that I need to purchase either solid Black or Grey ski pants for my new job. I have decided on grey because life is to short for black pants. Anyway, this new pair of pants will likely become my only pair of pants so I want something at least kind of decent.

I would love some recommendations on some decent snow pants in the $30-$70 range. I am not to picky and was pretty happy with my 3000 mm waterproof/breathability pants I had previously. I want something with a few pockets, belt loops, and available in a 32 waist.

Thank you again Pugski!

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Apparently we must have different definitions of cheap or different definitions of decent.
These are decent, and reasonably priced if you can get a pro discount from your job.
https://arcteryx.com/us/en/shop/mens/theta-sv-bib

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't see your price range. Anything you buy in that price range will end up having you spend more money in the long run.

Last edited:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Pretty sure absent of a crazy closeout or store return that price range limits you to "used" for "decent" if we're talking quality and durability.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
I'd take a look at a place like Sierra Trading Post. Go to their website.

Right now the have a Mountain Hardware Returnia Pant for 45% off of the regular price. $80.

That's a nice pant for that price. My wife has two pairs. Maybe 150 days on each. She likes the fit.

At any rate, I'd go there. See what they have. advantage is you can return if they don't fit.

Post that you're looking for a pair on Phil's Garage here, too.

Have you checked Steep and Cheap?

Obviously was you want is a decent pant at a big discount.

Pat AKA mustski

I can keep a Secret
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
When you say 32 waist are you talking actual waist measurement or pants size. I ask because I do have a pair of black LOLE pants that I am giving away for shipping costs. They are pristine; just too big on me. My waist measures a true 32 - the pants are 34 at their smallest. Anyhow, if you want them, they're yours. It would free you up to buy a color you like for the days you are not working.

Last edited:

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Decent cheap durable. Pick two.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Seriously, what's the job? It might matter.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
I will say, those $80 Mountain Hardwear pants check ALL three boxes. Pretty well regarded as great value.

My wife felt that even at $150, they would not be much. Her regular pants cost "a bit more", shall we say. A friend, who skis 130-150 days a year said to try them. Money. Only thing is that are not super waterproof. No rain pant for sure. Snow? Fine.

I know a number of people who work in Flylow Chemical pants. They things wear like iron. I would not hesitate to buy a pair used.

But yes, what's the work? Might help with suggestions.

Last edited:

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
if you do buy from STP or REI outlet or similar online store, I highly suggest you just buy all pairs and assume you will return all or all-but-1 pairs.

Pants are so different in cuts, that you'll need some trial and error to get the right one.

TS
Kbat117

Kbat117

Doing snow dances
Skier
So I should specify that I'm a 17 yo male, and my new job is as an instructor at a small hill a few minutes up the road from my home in Utah.

And I guess my idea of decent is different. My current set of pants were $50. They did everything right for me, just not very durable and the wrong color.

The Sierra trading Post pants look good, I think I'll grab those if nothing better pops up.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
So I should specify that I'm a 17 yo male, and my new job is as an instructor at a small hill a few minutes up the road from my home in Utah.

And I guess my idea of decent is different. My current set of pants were $50. They did everything right for me, just not very durable and the wrong color.

The Sierra trading Post pants look good, I think I'll grab those if nothing better pops up.
@VinceF might be working near you and have some local insights on instructor deals on pants.

DonC

Squeezing into my stabilyx tights
Skier
If you're a 17 year old instructor you will probably be teaching kids, and when teaching kids your often end up sitting or kneeling in the snow. You need a half decent pair of pants that won't soak through.

I bought two pairs of the returnia pants. First in a large then in an XL and I'm trying to figure out which to keep. I'm kind of between sizes. In any case for 59.99 after a 25% if code I think you can't do much better.

BTW the thunderhead gray is a greenish gray but probably close enough for your boss.

TS
Kbat117

Kbat117

Doing snow dances
Skier
If you're a 17 year old instructor you will probably be teaching kids, and when teaching kids your often end up sitting or kneeling in the snow. You need a half decent pair of pants that won't soak through.

I bought two pairs of the returnia pants. First in a large then in an XL and I'm trying to figure out which to keep. I'm kind of between sizes. In any case for 59.99 after a 25% if code I think you can't do much better.

BTW the thunderhead gray is a greenish gray but probably close enough for your boss.

Where do you find this 25% off coupon?

DonC

Skier
Where do you find this 25% off coupon?

I subscribed to their email offers and they send them pretty frequently. I sent you a PM with a code.

TS
Kbat117

Kbat117

Doing snow dances
Skier
Just ordered the Mountain Hardware Returnia Cargo pants in size M and Size L. Will return 1 pair. Thanks once again Pugski!

DonC

Skier
Just ordered the Mountain Hardware Returnia Cargo pants in size M and Size L. Will return 1 pair. Thanks once again Pugski!

Glad we could help. For the return you can save on shipping cost if there is a retail store in your area. Pretty much the only good thing that has come from the TJX takeover is free returns at their ever expanding number of retail stores. Actually shopping in the retail stores is another matter because they have the same prices as the website but don't take the coupons so generally not worth it aside from items they don't accept coupons for online like skis.

Sponsor

Staff online