• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Charley Horse in Quad

EpicSkier14

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hello Everyone!

Yesterday I devoloped a Charley horse in my left quad while skiing. I stopped skiing and heated the area. It is still tight today. Can I ski on it? How can I loosen the muscles? Will it make it worse? What can I do to prevent this? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I'm not sure what you mean by Charley Horse. With my (limited) background a Charley Horse is what you get when someone punches you in the quads. What you describe sound like a cramp.

I can tell you from experience that using a muscle that is cramping is a very bad idea.

Avoiding cramps is a matter of hydration, diet and regular exercise.

TS
E

EpicSkier14

Skier
Oh did I post this in the wrong area? :eek: Oops! Sorry

TS
E

EpicSkier14

Skier
In this case I strongly suspect what he's got is bad front/back balance in his boots and a muscle that is being triggered so much that it fires even when he doesn't want it to.

Thread should be in boot advice, not video/photo stoke, I think. @Philpug ?
Does this mean I’m either skiing to backseat or to far forward? If this is in the wrong section please let me know.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Does this mean I’m either skiing to backseat or to far forward? If this is in the wrong section please let me know.

I think your boot is trying to put you in a bad place, and your thighs are exhausted from trying to put you in the right place - all the time. The easy bet is on backseat. That is not a diagnosis, you need someone there to have a look at your stance.

TS
E

EpicSkier14

Skier
I think your boot is trying to put you in a bad place, and your thighs are exhausted from trying to put you in the right place - all the time. The easy bet is on backseat. That is not a diagnosis, you need someone there to have a look at your stance.
Okay, I’ll have to have someone look at my stance.

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I always get thigh/leg cramps on the run right after lunch then they go away for the rest of the day. I always just assumed dehydration was at play.