• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The most scared I've ever been because of wind happened years ago (more than once) on the 7th Heaven lift at Stevens Pass. In the old days the lift had a tall loading structure that made it so that you were immediately sent off over a big drop. This is located at the top of a ridge, and then you head up to the top of the mountain. The wind coming up over the ridge is focused by the terrain right on the area where the drop was and it blows at a 90 degree angle to the chair. Anyway, I was on patrol and had to take an empty toboggan up to the top of the lift during a big blow. The cross wind was howling and I had to somehow hold on to this big fiberglass sled that caught the air like a wing. It was only set on the chair, there was nothing but me to hold it down. I remember preparing to dump the sled rather than be pulled off the chair, though I never quite got to the point of letting go. They've reconfigured the loading of the chair now and it no longer has the big "wind tunnel" drop, thank goodness.

The 7th Heaven lift can be scary even in perfect visibility on a wind-free bluebird day.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I guess you haven't had the pleasure of riding a heated bubble chair. They ARE pretty Buick-like...

I don't even like gondolas because they mess with my heat regulation. I plan my layers for the outside temp, not a doggone gondola!

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
I don't even like gondolas because they mess with my heat regulation. I plan my layers for the outside temp, not a doggone gondola!

Stowe’s gondola has various windows that can be opened to cool off the inside. Unless it’s really cold, I generally open all the windows— a practice that has earned me some withering glares from my fellow passengers. What are you planning on doing when we reach the top? Ride the gondola back down? You’re supposed to be dressed for winter!:snowball: