• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

CD and DVD Rack Made From Old Skis

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
There are certain old bindings that I would have no problem skiing.

JFB

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Like the Looks on those VR17s. (Provided the teflon was adequately attached).

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Like the Looks on those VR17s. (Provided the teflon was adequately attached).

The Looks were lovingly overhauled by @Royal with new teflon installed. I tested them on a Vt. Calibrator where they tested perfectly. The skied beautifully. I didn't need them to release, but I had complete confidence in them.

Last edited:

thewirewiz

Booting up
Skier
I have a pair of Dynamic VR27 skis 200 length that had some old green and white Salomon 747 bindings. After reading all the cautions here and on Epic I went to Rodgers Ski shop in Lincoln NH and they sold me and mounted for me some Atomic bindings, the only designation I can find on them is Z12.

I think I paid $160, if I recall correctly. This was last season, and they threw in a tune for free. Great shop, great people.

I also have an old pair of Head radial racing gs racing skis, with the word "twaron" on them. They still have the old red and white Salomon 747 bindings on them. I will do the same thing with them. I wish I could find out more about the Heads. I bought them probably in the 80's. Still love them.

I have a pair of Volkl 6 stars, probably 10 years old, and a different local shop refused to even tune them because of the age of the bindings.

And I guess I will be legal for a few more years, on Elan amphibio 88's I bought in the fall of 2015.

There is a small core of us old guys that ski together that just love the hot skis, for their time, of our youth.

Long winded way of saying that you can fit new bindings to old boards.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I have a pair of Dynamic VR27 skis 200 length that had some old green and white Salomon 747 bindings. After reading all the cautions here and on Epic I went to Rodgers Ski shop in Lincoln NH and they sold me and mounted for me some Atomic bindings, the only designation I can find on them is Z12.

I think I paid $160, if I recall correctly. This was last season, and they threw in a tune for free. Great shop, great people.

I also have an old pair of Head radial racing gs racing skis, with the word "twaron" on them. They still have the old red and white Salomon 747 bindings on them. I will do the same thing with them. I wish I could find out more about the Heads. I bought them probably in the 80's. Still love them.

I have a pair of Volkl 6 stars, probably 10 years old, and a different local shop refused to even tune them because of the age of the bindings.

And I guess I will be legal for a few more years, on Elan amphibio 88's I bought in the fall of 2015.

There is a small core of us old guys that ski together that just love the hot skis, for their time, of our youth.

Long winded way of saying that you can fit new bindings to old boards.
Do you save the green/white 747s?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I didn't. The ski shop must have tossed them. Would you like me to save the red 747's for you when I replace them?
I have the red ones, not the green ones. Thanks though.

thewirewiz

Booting up
Skier
I have the red ones, not the green ones. Thanks though.
I had to check before I spoke, I have a pair of green and white 747's on some old K2 KVC's that I won't be clicking into again, you can have those bindings if you want. Also some old Tyrolia red and white 490's on straight red 203 Fischer vacuum 's, if you want.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I'm happy to lend advice. Philpug is a font of information when it comes to old bindings, too. Be sure to post pictures of the gear. When we know more we can give better advice. Some old gear just deserves to be skied.

Alright gang. Went to storage yesterday and while I was there I pulled out Michael's straight skis and took some photos.

Whatcha think. Are these bindings ok for him to ski. Not sure about his BSL because he had no boots now. Just not sure if a tech would touch them.

20170930_103608.jpg
20170930_103540.jpg
20170930_103550.jpg
20170930_103556.jpg
20170930_103605.jpg
20170930_103600.jpg
20170930_103545.jpg

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
The bindings are no longer indemnified. I do ski similar vintage bindings on vintage skis but not as a daily occurrence. The plastic used in bindings during the time of their manufacture is not very durable particularly after 'aging'.

I can't ID the skis other than they are K2s, but they are definitely straight!

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
The bindings are no longer indemnified. I do ski similar vintage bindings on vintage skis but not as a daily occurrence. The plastic used in bindings during the time of their manufacture is not very durable particularly after 'aging'.

I can't ID the skis other than they are K2s, but they are definitely straight!

All I know is they are K2s and are 205s, not sure of the model.

I was thinking of talking to one of my shop buddies to see if they had an older but still indemnified pair they could throw on there just so Michael could take them on a bon voyage run before we turned them into some kind of furniture :)

Last edited:

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
He'll have to resort to relatively modern bindings. Generally, anything over 10 years or so old is not indemnified. Better to bite the bullet and ski non-era bindings than bite the dust.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Arrived home from work to discover the wife had taken on the project of fixing the mailbox post that had snapped off last winter. Rather than go to buy a new post she took one her old hummingbird Aura's and one of her old cloud Aura's then screwed the skis to the broken pole sections. I helped her re install the new ski post into the ground then we went off for an end of day kayak. She may be retired from writing code but her creative mind is still put to good use solving problems.

Mailbox.JPG
Mailbox1.JPG

Sponsor

Staff online