• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Cat in a box

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Have actually had a cat in a running dishwasher before. Heard a strange noise right after dishwasher started. Open the dish washer and the (very wet) cat flew out. Different cat got in the dryer and it got turned on. Again with the strange noise, open the dryer and a nicely fluffed cat levitated out of the dryer. No lasting ill effects to either cat but I now look closely before starting either appliance:)
I've had a cat in the dryer and a cat who liked to sneak into the fridge, too.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
I've had a cat in the dryer and a cat who liked to sneak into the fridge, too.
My Grandmother's cat mysteriously disappeared one day. The next day she asked my father to come over to help her look for the cat. After awhile, he wandered into one of the extra bedrooms. He heard a very, very faint . . . mew . . . coming from, the chest of drawers? Opened one of the drawers and OUT SPRANG THE CAT! And made a beeline to the litter box.

She had been putting away sheets the previous day. The cat had crawled in the drawer and curled up. Grandma had closed the drawer. I should probably add that my grandmother's sight and hearing were not so good by this point . . .

RachelV

I run TheSkiDiva.com and work at OpenSnow.
Ski Diva Tester
My Grandmother's cat mysteriously disappeared one day. The next day she asked my father to come over to help her look for the cat. After awhile, he wandered into one of the extra bedrooms. He heard a very, very faint . . . mew . . . coming from, the chest of drawers? Opened one of the drawers and OUT SPRANG THE CAT! And made a beeline to the litter box.

She had been putting away sheets the previous day. The cat had crawled in the drawer and curled up. Grandma had closed the drawer. I should probably add that my grandmother's sight and hearing were not so good by this point . . .

This is one of the things I'm worried about when I move in a few weeks! Kitty & I are in a good routine in my current place -- I know all her hiding spots, which closet doors to leave cracked, etc. It's only a matter of time before we accidentally trap her somewhere in the new place.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
This is one of the things I'm worried about when I move in a few weeks! Kitty & I are in a good routine in my current place -- I know all her hiding spots, which closet doors to leave cracked, etc. It's only a matter of time before we accidentally trap her somewhere in the new place.
Only other place I've found a cat trapped was . . . okay, this is going to require an explanation . . . in my pants:eek:

I'd left a pair of jeans on the floor (see, it was much less interesting than you were hoping, wasn't it?). Cat crawled in at the waist and kept going. When I found him, there was a head and two paws sticking out of one leg. Needless to say these weren't bell bottoms.

The tricky part is, how do you get a cat with claws out, w/o cutting the pants? By having your roommate hold the pants up while you carefully work the cat downward, unhooking the claws every 2mm as you go until the cat finally realizes that you are helping it. While laughing uncontrollably . . .

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Oh kitties, you are so naughty! I have a cat who is tiny and can squeeze under the dresser and into the drawers from the back. I don't much care for her sleeping on my folded T-shirts in there, but...oh well.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Oh kitties, you are so naughty! I have a cat who is tiny and can squeeze under the dresser and into the drawers from the back. I don't much care for her sleeping on my folded T-shirts in there, but...oh well.

The younger Devon Rex has finally grown too big to crawl up into the back of the fold-out couch. Yes that's right, the sandwich looked like this (from the front) TV Viewer's back-> couch cushion->upholstery->mattress and springs->cat->upholstery->wall. We were getting random lint all through the house until I flipped the couch over and stapled roofing felt all through the inside cavity. Now she's in love with the rolling pin.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Don't forget the audible! As in indignant little mneeowgrowls whenever you shift your weight on the couch. How DARE we discombobulate her in her little bower.
Oh, a female cat. Yeah, don't mess with her comfy space!

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Oscar's favorite spot as a kitten was under the monitor stand of my desk. it was a nice little kitty-sized cave. But I spent a lot of time gaming, and she would get agitated by the flurry of hand movements and strike out to "attack" me. Claws out, of course. Eventually I got her out of that habit, or maybe she just outgrew the space. It's funny in retrospext, but was both infuriating and painful at the time.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
For you physicists out there (not sure I buy this) Schrödinger' decided his cat can be in two places at once !
http://www.livescience.com/54890-schrodinger-cat-can-be-in-two-places.html
(photo attempt:
schrodinger-cat-two-boxes.jpg

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
For you physicists out there (not sure I buy this) Schrödinger' decided his cat can be in two places at once !
http://www.livescience.com/54890-schrodinger-cat-can-be-in-two-places.html
(photo attempt: View attachment 10003
Not really that it can be in two places at once, but, rather, that the act of observing is what determines the reality. Its still a pretty far out notion, but really antithetical to "two places at once". Schrodinger would say instead that the cat did not exist for the observer until the observer observed the cat existing somewhere. The cat of course had its own experience, which is entirely independent of the observers, so he'll just ignore it.

If this all sounds crazy, there are two takeaways: ordinary language is not adequate for the description of physics and everything depends on perspective and experience.

Still feel like I've done it an injustice, but hopefully i've made an adequate distinction between the cat "being" in two places at once and not "being" (for the observer) at all, until the observer observes . . .

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Shroedinger didn't mean it to be taken literally:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/google/google-doodle/10237347/Schrodingers-Cat-explained.html

If the Copenhagen interpretation suggests the radioactive material can have simultaneously decayed and not decayed in the sealed environment, then it follows the cat too is both alive and dead until the box is opened.

Common sense tells us this is not the case, and Schrödinger used this to highlight the limits of the Copenhagen interpretation when applied to practical situations. The cat is actually either dead or alive, whether or not it has been observed.

“[It] prevents us from so naively accepting as valid a "blurred model" for representing reality,” Schrödinger wrote. “In itself, this would not embody anything unclear or contradictory.”

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Definitely. I'm not as interested in Schrodinger's intentions as I am in relativity. The main misinterpretation of relativity is that it is linked to "multiple parallel universes" which is a meme done and redone in sci-fi to great effect. But, if nothing else, its a straw man attack on relativity. This is the most literal one can get when interpreting relativity. But really relativity is about the importance of perspective and acts (even "importance" is an inadequate word). The conversation gets derailed when somebody asks, wait, is the cat really dead or alive, I mean before you open the box and look at it? The point for physics and relativity, is that this question couldn't be more pointless, no matter how important it is to Newton.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Definitely. I'm not as interested in Schrodinger's intentions as I am in relativity. The main misinterpretation of relativity is that it is linked to "multiple parallel universes" which is a meme done and redone in sci-fi to great effect. But, if nothing else, its a straw man attack on relativity. This is the most literal one can get when interpreting relativity. But really relativity is about the importance of perspective and acts (even "importance" is an inadequate word). The conversation gets derailed when somebody asks, wait, is the cat really dead or alive, I mean before you open the box and look at it? The point for physics and relativity, is that this question couldn't be more pointless, no matter how important it is to Newton.

Well, I mean, the multiple universes thing was a theory by a real physicist. I only know this because I'm a big fan of The Eels, and the guy who's The Eels - that physicist was his father. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Many-worlds_interpretation

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Well, I mean, the multiple universes thing was a theory by a real physicist. I only know this because I'm a big fan of The Eels, and the guy who's The Eels - that physicist was his father. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Many-worlds_interpretation
I don't know that show, but, yes, MWI is one explanation of quantum mechanics. I just think its overly simplified and even silly in its most basic form. Which is probably why pop culture runs with it. Don't get me wrong, as a fan of Star Trek, I suspend my disbelief and am entertained. As a (once in awhile) serious person, I recognize that its a dead end.

On the other hand, perhaps there was a momentary disruption of the time-space continuum that resulted in an alternate (monochromatic) universe bleeding into my (ours?) at the precise moment I snapped that picture. And what better place for a sci-fi moment than . . . at the top of Mt Pluto?

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
I don't know that show, but, yes, MWI is one explanation of quantum mechanics. I just think its overly simplified and even silly in its most basic form. Which is probably why pop culture runs with it. Don't get me wrong, as a fan of Star Trek, I suspend my disbelief and am entertained. As a (once in awhile) serious person, I recognize that its a dead end.

On the other hand, perhaps there was a momentary disruption of the time-space continuum that resulted in an alternate (monochromatic) universe bleeding into my (ours?) at the precise moment I snapped that picture. And what better place for a sci-fi moment than . . . at the top of Mt Pluto?
Ha, just reread this and realized I crossed up two threads with my joke in the second paragraph. That belongs in the ghost thread, not the cat thread. It was early, pre-coffee. :huh:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I was wondering wth you were talking about!