• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Time has been tight so I've been making sure to do at least 15 minutes on the exercise bike at maximum resistance. The not so accurate calorimeter says I burn 250 in 15 minutes. Even if I could sustain that level for an hour the bike would probably short circuit from sweat dripping on the console.

Based on that it seems that 800/hour could be accomplished skiing moguls without breaks in cold weather, but there's still a lot of down time on the ski lift. Even 500/hour would be some fast non-stop skiing. A casual ski run, maybe the same as walking?

Last edited:

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
I'm sure beginners burn a lot more calories than experts. Now if you're hiking for turns, then it's a different story.

Sure, if both are cruising down the bunny hill, then the beginner is probably burning a lot more calories then the expert is.

But the expert isn't usually on the bunny hill... I'll wager that skiing a bump run will burn a lot more calories then a gentle cruise down a groomer.

Comparing calorie burn between somebody arcing slalom turns down a groomer vs. skiing a bump run might be an interesting comparison though.

Bill Seddon

Booting up
Skier
Uplift time compared with ski time is a lot more than you think. I've done the Fenix and HRM thing, and also know accurately my HR zones from competitive cycle racing. Skiing is very much short bursts with a lot of rest. In a one hour time trial on the bike ie max effort I burn around 800 calories ( HRM and power meter to monitor) Skiing, my HR is nowhere near what I ride at in a one hour race, like 20 BPM below it. Maybe on a huge long run you would ski for 15-20 minutes without any uplift. Thinking like 1500M vertical descent. You may get through 150 calories or so in that, but then you are sitting on lifts for the next ten minutes plus. Bumps have got my HR the highest, but there aren't many 5 minute long bump runs, let alone 10 plus.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
200ish calories per hour sounds about right for recreational skiers. What other activities can you do for 6 hours a day multiple days in a row? For me, the answer is something like walking.

I spend a lot of time standing around or sitting on the lift. Maybe 25% of the time is actually making turns? If I am skiing alone, my downtime is lower, maybe closer to 35% of the time I am making turns with the remainder spent on the lift or taking a break. In a lesson, I'd guess closer to 15% of the time is spent actually making turns.

Posaune

sliding
Skier
Sure, if both are cruising down the bunny hill, then the beginner is probably burning a lot more calories then the expert is.

But the expert isn't usually on the bunny hill... I'll wager that skiing a bump run will burn a lot more calories then a gentle cruise down a groomer.

Comparing calorie burn between somebody arcing slalom turns down a groomer vs. skiing a bump run might be an interesting comparison though.
In my mind I saw a raw beginner, struggling to stay on their feet, carry their equipment, walking in ski boots for the first time, falling and trying to get up on the flat, and snowplowing down the hill. Believe me, it takes a lot of energy when you're extremely inefficient. Bumps are a breeze when compared with struggling with all of that new stuff. Beginners don't "cruise" the bunny hill. Maybe intermediates do, but not beginners. I often see posts here warning beginners to not wear too much clothing in order to keep from overheating. All that overheating comes from calories burned.

Beartown

Chasing the dragon
Skier
I think one probably spends a lot less time skiing than they think. I just went through a good 41000 foot day from last season on my tracker. Total duration: 6 hours 25 minutes (about 20 minutes for lunch in there, otherwise going non-stop). Total downhill ski time: 2 hours 54 minutes. So I spent over three hours just standing in line and sitting on lifts. And that was at Sun Valley where I lapped Challenger all morning (high speed chair with the biggest chair vert in the country) with many 3000 foot runs.

Another random day at Targhee. 36259 feet. Total duration 6 hours 22 min. Downhill ski time 2 hours 24 min. Even more time on lifts (don't think I ever waited for a chair).

And both of those were solo days where I never waited for anybody or stopped to discuss what run to take, etc. I imagine days in a group are much less efficient.

Bigtinnie

Formerly 'sbooker' in another world.
Skier
I don't know the answer to this question accurately but I am very in tune with how my body works and I've made an observation.

I'm 45 and pretty physically fit and my body fat is usually at about 14%. I work out vigorously in the morning every day of the year.
When I go on a ski holiday my diet goes out the window - I normally consume at least 1500 more calories per day as I would at home (beer, cakes with coffee breaks, rich food). I still do a morning workout on holiday but it's not as long or intense. My skiing habit is pretty much bell to bell with breaks for lunch, admiring views, bathroom stops etc. I'm probably advanced intermediate but not efficient.
At the end of an approximate 15 to 17 day holiday I actually lose about 4 to 5 pounds. But when I am back to the gym when I get home I'm definitely weaker and my body fat has increased over normal.
I guess I must lose some muscle?

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I pretty much always lose weight in winter, but I’m sure I drink more beer. I think my body has to work harder to keep me warm on the lift and otherwise in cold weather; how does that factor into all this?

HDSkiing

You’re Sliding On-Snow; Don’t Over-Think it!
Skier
I guess the take away is “it depends.”

It seems that I read somewhere that downhill skiing burns around 600 cal/hr which of course is hard to do since eventually you run out of mountain and need a lift up, so it seems when you factor that in that it would be closer to the 300-400 cal/hr assuming you only rest on the chair.

I can only offer anecdotal information but as someone whose only job from mid Nov-mid-April is on skis I burn a ton of calories and generally get super fit and lean during the season which for me is around 100 days on skis. Most of those are full 8-10 hour days, starting sometimes in the early morning helping the ski patrol check the runs, or running water up the hill, setting gates or fence/rope lines then doing some free skiing then teaching (exhausting if you are booked all day) then sometimes helping with the sweep at the end of the day.

If I’m on the beginner hill I will skate up it, as often as I ride. it’s faster than the carpet and keeps me loose and my cardio up and I can assure you burns a lot of calories lol, the next best thing is probably a non stop bump run on one of our steep long runs.

I think I probably nearly double my food intake during the winter starting with a huge breakfast every morning in the cafeteria, although since it’s a job there’s not much beer involved...

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Non-Scientific observations over 15 years

When I would go to Johannesburg, South Africa every winter (their summer) for 2-3 months I always noticed a body shape change after a couple of weeks. I kinda became aware of it after it happened several years in a row. I attributed it to the way the body burned calories at the higher (6000-7000’) altitude where I spent the majority of my time in the highveld.

So, quite possibly I could lose weight by moving to Heber CIty, UT where we are looking at houses.

Close to ski slopes
Closer to a major airport
Lower humidity
Lose weight

Win-Win
:wine::wine::wine::wine:

HDSkiing

Skier
Non-Scientific observations over 15 years

When I would go to Johannesburg, South Africa every winter (their summer) for 2-3 months I always noticed a body shape change after a couple of weeks. I kinda became aware of it after it happened several years in a row. I attributed it to the way the body burned calories at the higher (6000-7000’) altitude where I spent the majority of my time in the highveld.

I’m sure someone’s studied this, but I would guess that higher altitude would require your body to do more work, at least it feels that way for me going from around 6800 feet where I live to between 10K & 12K to where I Ski/work. Same with the cold, being outside in often single digit numbers for hours at a time probably stokes your metabolism.

I do think though that after a time our bodies become more efficient. I’m more muscular (in the legs primarily) in April than in November yet I weigh typically 5-8 pounds less (muscle weighs more than fat). With that efficiency we can probably do more work with less effort and therefore less caloric burn making it such a moving number.

But I know that for myself the more I ski the fitter I am, I see that just through the season.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I’m sure someone’s studied this, but I would guess that higher altitude would require your body to do more work, at least it feels that way for me going from around 6800 feet where I live to between 10K & 12K to where I Ski/work. Same with the cold, being outside in often single digit numbers for hours at a time probably stokes your metabolism.

I do think though that after a time our bodies become more efficient. I’m more muscular (in the legs primarily) in April than in November yet I weigh typically 5-8 pounds less (muscle weighs more than fat). With that efficiency we can probably do more work with less effort and therefore less caloric burn making it such a moving number.

But I know that for myself the more I ski the fitter I am, I see that just through the season.

Interesting, most competitive skiers lose muscle mass and strength in their legs during the ski season, unless they work out ( for legs) during the ski season.

I find the same, if I don't lift (squats primarily, and hamstrings) during the ski season, I end up weaker at the end.

Maybe because I lift a lot in the fall, so I start my ski season very strong.

Same with mountain biking.
I lift in May 3 times a week, and if I don't lift once a week during the summer, I end up weaker, even though I mountain bike 10 hours a week.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
I think one probably spends a lot less time skiing than they think. I just went through a good 41000 foot day from last season on my tracker. Total duration: 6 hours 25 minutes (about 20 minutes for lunch in there, otherwise going non-stop). Total downhill ski time: 2 hours 54 minutes. So I spent over three hours just standing in line and sitting on lifts. And that was at Sun Valley where I lapped Challenger all morning (high speed chair with the biggest chair vert in the country) with many 3000 foot runs.

Another random day at Targhee. 36259 feet. Total duration 6 hours 22 min. Downhill ski time 2 hours 24 min. Even more time on lifts (don't think I ever waited for a chair).

And both of those were solo days where I never waited for anybody or stopped to discuss what run to take, etc. I imagine days in a group are much less efficient.

Your numbers line up with my anecdotal observations. :thumb:

Pat AKA mustski

I can keep a Secret
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I must be very efficient. I am usually fat in the winter. :D

Another efficient skier here; I usually gain weight on ski vacations! Must be the beer...and the burgers...and the fries...and....

Me three! I gain weight EVERY ski season/winter. What's interesting is that I am a theater teacher so I am also quite active in my job - movement to music, choreography, constant walking and standing to monitor the 12/13 year old bozos in every class. I ski every Saturday and Sunday and yes, apparently, I am really efficient! It is not muscle gain for me - it's just plain eating like crazy. According to my "Slopes" app, I have earned that bacon cheeseburger ... grilled cheese with bacon ... bacon anything! Skiing makes me hungry and weekends out of town take me out of the kitchen and into the restaurants far more often than they should. When I do cook, oh my heavens - it's beef stroganoff and prime rib and super high fat foods that my body seems to crave. On the bright side, I seem to be able to lose it during spring, summer, fall and maintain a kind of equilibrium. This year's goal is "just one cheat day!" We'll see. I bought new ski pants in a smaller size and lost enough to fit into them. I'm motivated to stay that size because I really like the colors!

Doby Man

Out on the slopes
Skier
The worse your technique is, the more calories you will burn. To those of you who burn a lot of calories, either take a lesson or enjoy extra hot fudge on your sundae.

HDSkiing

Skier
Interesting, most competitive skiers lose muscle mass and strength in their legs during the ski season, unless they work out ( for legs) during the ski season.

I find the same, if I don't lift (squats primarily, and hamstrings) during the ski season, I end up weaker at the end.

Maybe because I lift a lot in the fall, so I start my ski season very strong.

Same with mountain biking.
I lift in May 3 times a week, and if I don't lift once a week during the summer, I end up weaker, even though I mountain bike 10 hours a week.

This makes sense actually. Competitive skiers enter the season in the best shape they can get themselves into then they get on snow and the time available for the gym is decreased, so their strength/muscle mass may decrease at least in terms of what they may have gained over the summer with a muscle specific exercise. I see that in my upper body as I don’t lift over the ski season.

It has been a few decades since I did any dry land training as part of a racing program pre season, so I’m probably a comparative weakling compared to someone doing an intensive pre-season regimen lol, with no where to go but to gain muscle mass just from skiing and being on skis so many hours per week.

In recent years I just went out and skied with no focused pre season program and usually pay for it the first week or so out. I changed that this year as my age (in my 50’s) and the fact that it seems like it takes a little longer every year to “get my ski legs.” It will be interesting to see if/how much it helps with early season stiffness and to see if I lose some of the leg muscles I’ve built up.

But back to the original point, if you have little body fat from being in great shape and get into a caloric deficit then you will loose muscle mass, no doubt competitive racers, particularly at the elite level, are burning a lot of calories skiing/training.

Sponsor