• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California wine

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Having some friends coming over from Santa Barbara in a couple of weeks. Was asked if there was anything I/we wanted them to bring. Youngest daughter wanted the biggest container of Elmer's Glue (!). Apparently it's the connesieur choice for making slime.
I was thinking a bottle of Pinot Noir. Any particular ones to reccomend? As a reference my US favourite so far, which I like a lot, is Bon Climate. Not down with vintage variations over there. So any intel and inside would be very appreciated. Needs to be obtainable in a wine shop in Santa Barbara.

cheers

river-z

searching for seasons
Skier
Pinot Noir is a good choice, but there are so many vineyards to choose from in that area. If your friend goes to a wine shop or tasting room in Santa Barbara (and there are a lot of them), and has a budget in mind, and some characteristics you prefer, the person at the shop will be able to suggest good selections. And IMO it doesn't have to be expensive to be really good. The Central Coast has terrific wine.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Rumbauer Zinfindel and Zinfindel Port are fantastic. The latter is awesome with a bite or two of dark chocolate.

TS
Swede

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Thanks, haven't tried dessert-versions. Must confess that I'm not a big fan of zin for conventional red, but can see how it might work great for a port.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Santa Barbara ... not far from there is Paso Robles. Tablas Creek makes some really nice Rhone blends (some others do - Peloton Cellars makes a really nice Shiraz). Pinot from CA is overpriced IMHO.

@skibob is our CA local expert.

But, all in all, I would get something that is special to your friends.

Cheers!

Last edited:
TS
Swede

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Where are @skibob when you need him?

Probably inthe mostly wine-thread or the scotch-thread.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Thanks for paging. I missed this thread until now.

From Santa Barbara area, Au Bon Climat is a great choice. Some of the high profile like Byron, Cambria, Sanford have lost the luster. Last I had them Foxen and Zaca Mesa were still making good wines. Ojai, Andrew Murray, are good choices.

Tablas from Paso is also a great recommendation.

TS
Swede

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Cheers thanks. Doesn't have to be from SB, just need to be fairly easily obtained in SB. I don't want to cause my friends too much hassle just because I'm such a wine snob (and prick) sending them on a wine oddessy in search for some obscure stuff :)
:wine:

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Cheers thanks. Doesn't have to be from SB, just need to be fairly easily obtained in SB. I don't want to cause my friends too much hassle just because I'm such a wine snob (and prick) sending them on a wine oddessy in search for some obscure stuff :)
:wine:

But it's probably also nice for them to get you something local/semi-local, like Paso Robles, IMHO. Hidden gems, etc. Otherwise, I live in CA and no more than 20% of my bottles are from CA. It has become so easy to get wine from all over the place.

Most of my CA juice comes from wine tasting with my buddy across the street. We do urban producers close to where we live. I drink those and have my buddy present, either physically or in spirit :)

TS
Swede

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
True, true ... so a Tablas Creek "chateauneuf" it is. Sounds very intriguing.
Any particular make, or any "Rhone-blend" will do? Vintage to look/look our for?

cheers

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
True, true ... so a Tablas Creek "chateauneuf" it is. Sounds very intriguing.
Any particular make, or any "Rhone-blend" will do? Vintage to look/look our for?

cheers
They make a blend called "Esprit du Rhone" which is ~ Cotes du Rhone Villages rouge/blanc. But really good CdRV. I am partial to their varietally bottled Grenache Blanc an Mourvedre. The Counoise is a "geeks only" wine. Interesting, but Counoise is simply not fit to be bottled as a stand alone.

TS
Swede

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
They make a blend called "Esprit du Rhone" which is ~ Cotes du Rhone Villages rouge/blanc. But really good CdRV. I am partial to their varietally bottled Grenache Blanc an Mourvedre. The Counoise is a "geeks only" wine. Interesting, but Counoise is simply not fit to be bottled as a stand alone.

This one?:

http://www.tablascreek.com/wine/305/2015_Cotes_de_Tablas

And when in Rhone, what about this one?:

https://shop.bonnydoonvineyard.com/product/2012-Le-Cigare-Volant-normale

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Seems to be a common witticism. I enjoyed "Cotes de Paso" from Halter Ranch.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Yes, I jumbled the name a bit, but that's the one. I haven't sampled recent vintages but any year that wasn't especially hot (like 15) ought to be good.

The Bonny Doon wines seem to have returned to their former glory after he sold off the larger brands (Big House and Pacific Rim). For awhile there they'd really fallen off. But everything I've had since the sale of the big brands has been good to excellent.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes, I jumbled the name a bit, but that's the one. I haven't sampled recent vintages but any year that wasn't especially hot (like 15) ought to be good.

The Bonny Doon wines seem to have returned to their former glory after he sold off the larger brands (Big House and Pacific Rim). For awhile there they'd really fallen off. But everything I've had since the sale of the big brands has been good to excellent.

ah, forgot all about Bonny Doon from yesteryear when I first started to like wine more regular than Beer .....

However, I recall Two Buck Chuck and bought some while in California when it was more a rage. Didn't drink it all and as proof, kept one fine 2002 vintage bottle (*ing Merlot!) un-corked!

Offers?

Two Buck.jpeg

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I do suppose wine and alcohol are relatively cheap and accessible in CA. Just ask for something you like. I don't think you need to be overly specify Santa Barbara-ish to buy, unless you TRULY want something specific like a UCSB School sweatshirt or specific brand(s) of booze like Johnny Walker Blue or something that is really expensive over there but cheap here. The guest can figure out the details. Usually 1 or 2 bottles would not require any customs but traveler should look up the details..

I suppose you are surprised with the random things from the US when you travel. I was in Asia and a trendy coffee shop was saying they had Four Barrel "flown in all the way from San Francisco", sigh or Lagunitas beer.

As far as wine, don't worry about availability. They can just go to to Costco and pick up a few random bottles while they are pick up the giant sized elmer's glue, lol, it is not rocket science.
My relatives always requested Costco more bulk type items like beef jerky, US candy/chocolates, vitamins/supplements, Levi's, or clothes for international gifts. I think we snuck in some local items like 49ers clothing or UC Berkeley clothing, or see's candy, but the recipients wouldn't know these things.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
ah, forgot all about Bonny Doon from yesteryear when I first started to like wine more regular than Beer .....

However, I recall Two Buck Chuck and bought some while in California when it was more a rage. Didn't drink it all and as proof, kept one fine 2002 vintage bottle (*ing Merlot!) un-corked!

Offers?

View attachment 25798
Hmmmm, with the extra aging, I'd go . . . $2.01! :roflmao:

river-z

searching for seasons
Skier
Two-buck chuck is no longer just two bucks... inflation or something.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Two-buck chuck is no longer just two bucks... inflation or something.
Oh, so I suppose your shilling for @pete trying to get the bid higher. Fine. Be that way. Two buck chuck is now 2.49 in California. So, $2.51 is my bid. Ha! take that. Final offer. Good luck finding a better bid . . . . ;)