• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

CJohnson

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hello!
I have been skiing for a while now, and I am looking to buy skis, boots, bindings, poles.

I don't have much money to spend, and had some questions about price. Mainly, I'm wondering how to know that a ski I am buying (or boots) is worth the money. Is there a minimum price past which any worthwhile ski will be priced? If I buy a cheaper ski, what problems can I expect? Is pretty much anything probably better than the rental skis they give you at the resort? These all also apply to boots and bindings.
Thanks for any help!

*EDIT sorry for posting in what I just realized is probably the incorrect section

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We have a saying, "Date your skis, marry your boots". So, your initial investment should be in the boots. Skis really are the easy thing to buy and you will get a better experience with a better (fitting/quality) boot and a lesser ski than the other way around. There are deals to be had out there but don't focus in the price, focus on the boot because nothing is more expensive (and discouraging) than the wrong boot. There are "cheaper" skis and there are "less expensive" skis...the two get confused a lot.

Where are you, East..mid Atlantic...New England...West...Colorado...PNW...Tahoe? Mid West...ect? We might be able to refer you to someone who can help in your area or where you will be skiing.

PTskier

Been goin' downhill for years....
Pass Pulled
Any of us would much rather ski with our boots and garage sale skis than vice versa. I've heard that around $400 is kind'a the lower limit for decent boots. With advice, perfectly suitable skis are available in consignment shops, eBay, craigslist, https://forum.pugski.com/forums/phils-garage-sale-and-ski-swap.34/ , etc. If you advance in this sport, you'll want to switch to higher performance skis as you advance. That's easier on the pocketbook with skis pre-trained by another skier. Cheaper new skis might have the problem of being unsuitable. Used skis in good condition can be selected for the stiffness, length, width, sidecut pattern, flex pattern that will work very well for you. I had a student one day who got some cheap returned skis out of the REI bargain rack. The only thing wrong with those skis is that then didn't have enough backbone for a guy his size. He made a movement to give the skis an instruction, and they just bent like a noodle. He wasted that small amount of money he paid for them.

Boots are the trickiest to buy. You need boots for a suitable ability level, and the big one, they need to fit just right. The right length, width, volume, cuff diameter. The highly qualified boots sales person can look at your feet and pick a boot that is very close to what you need. Then, expect modifications to make the boots fit you with allowances for all the lumps & bumps each of us walk around on all the time with little thought. My rule of thumb--if the boots are comfy in the shop, they're too big. The boots need to serve as an exoskeleton. They need to fit as close as a lobster's shell and be comfortable after the modifications.

Here's excellent info from a fine shop in Calgary:
http://lous.ca/

Last edited:
TS
CJohnson

CJohnson

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I ski Tahoe. Plenty of shops up there, I'll work with a shop there to find boots. Thanks for all the help!

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

jo3st3

Getting on the lift
Skier
Go to a local shop and get fit for boots properly. Don't get boots for beginners, but something that have enough flex to last for a bit.

Get skis that are a level higher than you think you are because you will quickly advance and you'll be glad you had something you can stick with for a few seasons. To save money, there are deals online, and demo skis are a good way to go because you can adjust bindings to any boot size with ease and you'll save money on a what is a solid ski..

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
Be careful, not all shops have competient boot fitters. If your feet and like most, plan to spend some time (often hours) get a decent fit and realize it may take more than one visit to get things dialed in. Also, budget for custom foot beds. It might seem like over-kill but it is not just about comfort, boots are the single most important piece of gear in a very gear intensive sport.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Be careful, not all shops have competient boot fitters. If your feet and like most, plan to spend some time (often hours) get a decent fit and realize it may take more than one visit to get things dialed in. Also, budget for custom foot beds. It might seem like over-kill but it is not just about comfort, boots are the single most important piece of gear in a very gear intensive sport.

This is why it's important to ask around about boot fitters.

mister moose

Instigator
Skier
Hello!
I have been skiing for a while now, and I am looking to buy skis, boots, bindings, poles.

I don't have much money to spend, and had some questions about price. Mainly, I'm wondering how to know that a ski I am buying (or boots) is worth the money. Is there a minimum price past which any worthwhile ski will be priced? If I buy a cheaper ski, what problems can I expect? Is pretty much anything probably better than the rental skis they give you at the resort? These all also apply to boots and bindings.
Thanks for any help!

*EDIT sorry for posting in what I just realized is probably the incorrect section
Some great advice here. I like the exoskeleton description.

I think it needs to be said that most early beginners aren't willing (yet) to spend the time and money for a great fit in their first boots. They aren't sure they will stay in the sport. They ski a few days a year. They also don't know what a good fit is.

You don't mention what "for a while now" consists of. You don't say anything specific in skiing ability, trails skied, or what you've been on so far.

You would probably be well served with a good intermediate boot fitted by a professional. A lot of what you are paying for there is labor, so looking to scrimp on price at a big box store isn't the best path. Custom footbeds are also very worthwhile, but you could hold off on that and still add it later, and you would also notice the improvement if your skill level has increased in the meantime. If you have a skilled friend, you might get lucky at a ski swap or classified ads finding used boots that fit well and are not packed out. That's asking a lot though. So you're back to new in most cases.

Not so with skis and poles. You can get by with $10 sale poles (ask around to get the right length) until you turn faster than you swing the heavy pole. And I think you can get by on just about any intermediate ski until you are wide track parallel and discover the limit on your ski's edges. There's a lot of hype out there on ski marketing, craftily done by folks who's job it is to sell skis. Find a used intermediate ski in the proper length for you a few years old, but not so old the binding is about to go out of serviceability.

Since it's January, you could do a years lease on a ski, (about $150) and then shop for a deal in the spring sales, or wait until fall ski-swaps. That's a lot of money for a year though, you could buy used skis for $300 ish.Again, find a knowledgeable friend and shop Ebay and local ads. Some leases let you change skis once or twice throughout the year, that alone could be worth the lease price.

In many cases, the first boot and ski choices are not ideal ones. They are practice dates. Sure, you want to marry your boots, but not everyone finds their true love on the first try. It's a journey. But you're doing the right thing by researching before you buy.

Varmintmist

Bear, with furnture.
Skier
Wait.

Wait for after season or Labor Day sales. This labor day I got my son into a good set of brand new (last seasons) performance boots for 250.00... 50% off, with a boot fitter trying different boots on him.
The trick to learning what the boot for you is is to become a bootfitter, or go to one. Just because you go to a shop that has a bootfitter or a bootfitter that has a shop does NOT mean you are going to be dropping a lot on custom stuff. He can also help because he knows if a off the shelf one fits correctly.

Then pick up used skis or go rental until you know enough about them to make a informed decision. I did seasonal rentals for a year after buying my boots.

PTskier

Been goin' downhill for years....
Pass Pulled
Wait for after season or Labor Day sales.
Spring sales will have the sales people trying to empty the store's shelves; you might not get what's just right for you.
September sales are both last year's left overs plus new merchandise the owner needs to start selling to bring in some cash.
Shop the September sales.

Sponsor

Staff online