• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Bumps for Boomers - Technique Summary and Video

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Agree with Josh that this guy is doing fine. Especially for a 71 year old.

DIsclaimer - I am old (not quite as old as this guy) and I like to ski the bumps slowly.
On that note, I will thanks those on this forum whose have skied with me for not saying "You Sucked" to my face. :golfclap::roflmao:

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
My goal in the bumps is to be able to get down any bump field at a glacial pace, on any line, especially going straight down the fall line.
"Glacial" = snail's pace. I'm getting there, but I still working on shaving off that final bit of unanticipated speed now and then.
It's amazing how going slow opens up the possibility of going fast with a feeling of total control.

My goal is to be a decent bump skier before I get too old. This approach is helping. Must, must hurry, as available time is diminishing.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
I don't aspire to ski like that, but many people are very intimidated by bumps and just want to be able to take that first step of getting thru them with a degree of control. Can help to learn to crawl before you walk.

The skis are short though aren't they?! Is that a teaching thing? (Edit: Just read BluewingDavid's explanation)
You guys are right. It's all good. Every tool you add helps.
But there are lots of other videos out there that represent better looking demos in terms of rhythm and turn shape.
The Clendenin videos are every bit as friendly to beginners, but he demos smoother technique.
For generel tips, PSIA has a couple of dozen videos. And Jonathan Ballou has a good PSIA video for beginning bumps at

Last edited:

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I appreciate the goal of learning to ski bumps safely and in control, in a skills progression, for the older adult who doesn't have the same range of motion as a younger adult.

That said.....I am reminded of the The Who song My Generation: "hope I die before I get old."

You'll feel different when you get to be Pete Townsend's age/

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier

DIsclaimer - I am old (not quite as old as this guy) and I like to ski the bumps slowly.
On that note, I will thanks those on this forum whose have skied with me for not saying "You Sucked" to my face. :golfclap::roflmao:
I skied with Grump. He rips.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor

Chuckle... ogsmile

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
The topic of skiing for older folks (boomers), and teaching them, is of interest to me, to the point that I became a first-year instructor this year at the age of 60. IMO, and from experience, I would not teach an older person to ski the way shown in the starting post, much less ski bumps. It is going to be very hard on the old knees once the bumps get bigger and the speed gets higher. What I think would be best is to develop the skier's angulation at the hips and, with that, develop their ability to initiate a turn early and high.

I know. Those skills need to be taught first on un-bumped terrain. What about the skier that simply wants to ski the bumps, no matter what. I would guide them through it. But, I would also show them videos of smooth, controlled skiing of bumps, then point out the specific skills needed to accomplish that, in hopes that they agree to work on those skills first.

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
B for B teaches 2 tactics: Green Line (shown in the video) and Blue Line (banking off the side of the mogul adjacent to the one you initiate your turn on).

I read the pages and watched the videos for Green line and Blue line mogul skiing starting from here,

https://www.bumpsforboomers.com/mogul-skiing-technique/smart-tactics/

I'm a boomer. My knees start to hurt hitting bumps over and over. I understand, from the material, the idea is to learn how to ski moguls. But, in the context of moguls for boomers, I think he material is way off the mark. The opening statements are:

"If you are a Boomer or conservative recreational skier and are interested in learning how to confidently and safely ski moguls using intelligent skiing techniques rather than brute force and sweat"

Later,

"Given that most Baby Boomer and conservative recreational skiers have a preference for:
(1) better balance and more control rather than fast skiing
(2) techniques that do not require fast reflexes
(3) efficient skiing movement patterns that minimize fatigue
(4) low impact techniques that are easy on knees and backs"

Maybe it's me that is way off he mark, but I think Boomers are unlikely to be novice skiers, and unlikely to be seeking to learn how to ski moguls for the first time. A Boomer that does not ski is unlikely to take up skiing. Both the green line and the blue line are setting up skiers for high impact skiing through moguls, in the approach and cresting of a mogul. I haven't analyzed my own skiing, and can't describe the line(s) I take, but I do know I have reduced impact on my knees and back using angulation, absorbing with my hips, rather than with my knees and back, and skiing the sides, not cresting, nothing like what is being demonstrated in the B4B videos.

I wouldn't normally criticize like this, but adjusting my skiing to my aging knees has been important in my continuing to enjoy the sport as at high a level as I can. I think what is being put forth by B4B is a disservice to Boomers. That said, anyone want my honest opinion?

john petersen

working through minutia to find the big picture!
Instructor
Karlos point has validity. In each lesson, an instructor should find out what your goals, limitations, skill level and focus will be for the time you are with them. Any aches and pains can be brought up then too...its really important for quality learning to happen, that we do not push your physical comfort zone too far....but just a little here and there. (The Yikes Zone is a good read)
Folks of all ages want different things on different days at different skill levels. The same bump run will change many times throughout the day not to mention from day to day.

There are ways to practice movement patterns that will help in the bumps before trying them out. I also like to find a run that has bumps and flat terrain right next to each other. "visiting" the bumps to your comfort level is a great way to get in there as much or as little as is desired.

I now find it challenging to find the most graceful way down just about anything I ski. ( graceful in my own head, anyway...) I like to know that I have the tools in my toolbox to handle any given terrain...and if I am a couple of wrenches short of a full toolbox ( a common complaint ;) ) then I ask questions or look for better skiers to hang with that do have those tools. Follow an accomplished skier through a bump run, asking them to ski at your speed, and you will find it rewarding.

JP

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The problem with most skiers and moguls is perception, they look at them as obstacles and not opportunities. Many skiers fight moguls and try to turn in the most dificult spot, in the troughs. The top of a mogul is the easiest place on the hill to turn because of the least amount of resistant.

john petersen

working through minutia to find the big picture!
Instructor
opportunities!...yes, Philpug....."Dance Partners", I like to call them, too... ;)

there are many lines you can take once you train yourself to see them.....

The troughs, or valleys, are the lowest point between two bumps....they have become the center of two converging fall lines. Where do the skis WANT to go?...yeah, the fall lines......I think folks get hypnotized into seeing only that line....and then find themselves there......they get sucked in. ("dont ski the zipper line, don't ski the zipper line, don't ski the zipper line.....hey, how did I get in the zipper line?") The tactic to share is how to guide the skis in and out over and across the troughs....not just get sucked in unless you want to go there.

a good exercise: (Im assuming you have already been practicing your short turns and pivot slips on the groomers...do lots and lots of pivot slips, then......) visualize the line you want to take for the first few turns. Cant see it?....look first at just the tops of the bumps. Then look only to the right side or shoulder of the bumps. then the left shoulder and so on....pick a line through each path.....Then ask yourself which line looks the most inviting. Visualize yourself skiing that line and the type of turns you will need to make. Other lines become apparent to you after you have done this a few times...soon you can pick out the smoothest lines....if that is your intention....
Then ski 3-5 or 6-8 turns and either keep going, or stop and assess your performance.....sighting the next 6-8 turns and so on....

Round turns of all sizes are needed to follow your line, especially if you are skiing the shoulders. the tendency is that we feel we must turn NOW in the bumps when patience is the best solution......(zipper line not included). that is not to say we are'nt making some really tight turns.....the patience is needed at the start of each turn....the shaping phase....

I like to start slow and make very deliberate moves, actively flexing and extending my legs and guiding my feet and planting my poles. Literally in slow motion. I use gliding and sliding...shaped skidding on very flat skis starting out.....More importantly, and this is a key, keeping my feet under my overall COM (moving them back and forth as well as following the bump up and down).

If you can keep your feet fairly neutral in your boots in a fore aft relationship, or the skis perpendicular to the snow surface at any given time, you will have better success...but this means you have to be flexible and supple and learn to have good range of motion in directions you may not be familiar with or comfortable performing.

terminology: flexion, extension, avalement, dolphin, jet, pivot slip, schmeer, counter, fore/aft, neutral, double fall lines, ice cream cones, zipper lines, troughs.....

JP

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Maybe it's me that is way off he mark, but I think Boomers are unlikely to be novice skiers, and unlikely to be seeking to learn how to ski moguls for the first time.

An interesting point. Anybody our age who does not already know how to ski bumps is unlikely to want to. But given the world to draw from, there seem to be enough customers.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Looking at at video OP posted I would call that making it safely down a mogul field not really "skiing" moguls as I think of it. I know several boomers from my ski club who are lower intermediate, blue groomer skiers who would benefit from that technique. Sometimes one finds themselves in the midst of moguls without intending to. And perhaps, perhaps, perhaps that is how I will need to negotiate moguls in 10 years when I hit the big 70!

Uke

Who am I now
Skier
Step one in learning to ski bumps for most of my guests is having the skill/confidence level to venture into ungroomed terrain and not feel that they are looking like fools or risking injury. Sort of sounds like this program does that.

uke

James

Out There
Instructor
I read the pages and watched the videos for Green line and Blue line mogul skiing starting from here,

https://www.bumpsforboomers.com/mogul-skiing-technique/smart-tactics/

I'm a boomer. My knees start to hurt hitting bumps over and over. I understand, from the material, the idea is to learn how to ski moguls. But, in the context of moguls for boomers, I think he material is way off the mark. The opening statements are:

"If you are a Boomer or conservative recreational skier and are interested in learning how to confidently and safely ski moguls using intelligent skiing techniques rather than brute force and sweat"

Later,

"Given that most Baby Boomer and conservative recreational skiers have a preference for:
(1) better balance and more control rather than fast skiing
(2) techniques that do not require fast reflexes
(3) efficient skiing movement patterns that minimize fatigue
(4) low impact techniques that are easy on knees and backs"

Maybe it's me that is way off he mark, but I think Boomers are unlikely to be novice skiers, and unlikely to be seeking to learn how to ski moguls for the first time. A Boomer that does not ski is unlikely to take up skiing. Both the green line and the blue line are setting up skiers for high impact skiing through moguls, in the approach and cresting of a mogul. I haven't analyzed my own skiing, and can't describe the line(s) I take, but I do know I have reduced impact on my knees and back using angulation, absorbing with my hips, rather than with my knees and back, and skiing the sides, not cresting, nothing like what is being demonstrated in the B4B videos.

I wouldn't normally criticize like this, but adjusting my skiing to my aging knees has been important in my continuing to enjoy the sport as at high a level as I can. I think what is being put forth by B4B is a disservice to Boomers. That said, anyone want my honest opinion?
Sounds like you should take the course!
I really don't get all the fuss over the approach. It's not for aging Glen Plakes. There's way too much extrapolation being done from one video. We don't know where these people started.

Fast lines require fast reflexes. -And have higher consequences. This is the big point the course is based around.
From your link:
four-different-mogul-skiing-lInes-V2.jpg

Fwiw, I find teaching low level skiing -beginning skiing the hardest on my knees. They get very stiff from lack of movement I suppose. I've had three operations.

Last edited:

Nancy Hummel

Ski more, talk less.
Instructor
SkiTalk Supporter
I see many people who are long time groomer only skiers who are intimidated at the thought of bumps but have the desire to ski the whole mountain. Most want to take it step by step and refine things on the groomers and move into the bumps.

It is great if you have beginner bumps in less crowded areas which we have at Snowmass.

Doing one bump at a time at the beginning shows people that they can stop and takes away the anxiety about choosing a line.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Like most have said above, the B4B target demographic are not novice skiers but the groomer zoomer boomers that dread the occasional required bump run when skiing in a group.

Sponsor