• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Bumps for Boomers - Technique Summary and Video

BluewingDavid

Booting up
Skier
I mentioned in passing in another thread that I took the Bumps for Boomers 4-day mogul skiing clinic in mid-January in Aspen, Colorado. I had a great experience and through what I learned I now enjoy skiing moguls. I avoided moguls and ungroomed snow prior to the class, but now seek out this type of terrain.

Joe Nevin, founder of Bumps for Boomers, sent the following content in a follow-up email to people who took the moguls skiing clinic this year. This is a good summary of the techniques. The video is a great visual of the B for B techniques and tactics as demonstrated by Joe himself.

BETTER BALANCE
• Keep hands forward and quiet
• Flex your ankles rather than bend your knees
• Lead each turn with a pole touch
• Ski with a narrow since to keep both feet on the same consistency of snow

MORE CONTROL
• Steer your skis perpendicular to, or higher than, the fall line underneath your feet at the completion of each turn in order to decelerate before you initiate each new turn
• To initiate each turn make your short leg long (instead of trying to start a turn) .
• WAIT for gravity to move your skis in the direction of the fall line before steering your skis
• Continuously LOOK DOWN the hill at your next turn location target

LESS FATIGUE
• Ski using a tall stance with long legs so your skeleton, rather than your muscular system, supports your body weight
• Ski slower to minimize the need for dynamic flexion and extension movements
• Avoid abrupt movement to make it easier to stay in-balance and eliminate the need for fast reflexes
• Move as little as possible and only move in slow motion what needs to move

SMART TACTICS
• The Green Line Turn has a smaller radius than the trough, e.g. you initiate your turn on the flat top of a mogul and drift down the secondary fall line of the same mogul that you initiated your turn on.
• Only do one of two things: TURN to a DRIFT or DRIFT to a TURN

One of the important take-aways I would like you to see is how slow my turns are (e.g. how slowly I come around the turn). This is a result of two factors:

• First, a conscious deceleration prior to initiating the next turn (remember that a zero momentum turn can be made ... even from a dead stop).

• Second, using short leg long to initiate the next turn and WAITING for gravity to start the turn rather than feeling an urgency to make the turn happen quickly.

Here is a video of Joe skiing the Pumphouse run at Aspen demonstrating the approach. Joe is 71 years old and still killing it in the moguls. I can't embed the video here due to the way it is configured in Vimeo: vimeo.com/210287161/3fdbb1be4e.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Screen Shot 2017-03-29 at 10.27.35 PM.png

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
But you CAN cut and paste the video URL if you wish.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
That video shows that a skier can slowly and gently ski down a soft bump field along a meandering line
with no upper-body-lower-body separation and very little flexing and extending. There's quite a bit of
side-slipping going on as well. It looks very similar to Clendenin's bump clinic approach.

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Great vid for someone learning intro bumps............ but man did they extract the "Fun Factor" out of it............ not a critique at all........ just an observation.......... "Hello! Smile at the camera!....... make us want to participate! " LOL

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
My first real intro to bump skiing came at a Killington clinic many years ago. They essentially taught the technique shown in the video -- i.e., "pivot and slide". It works in the sense that if you find yourself in a bump run, you can get through it, but it doesn't strike me as being the "fun" of bump skiing.

I'm in New England, and one of the first things that aspiring bump skiers learn is that the backside of moguls are often icy. My goal is to spend as little time as possible on the back-side, and as much time as possible on the front (uphill) side where the snow is. My usual goal is to bank turns off the neighboring mogul ("buddy bump" as Robin Barnes called it) as much as possible. That also has the benefit of "skis going in the direction they're pointed" (more or less, as much as is possible in mogul skiing) which I feel will only help in the soft snow conditions that make bump skiing "easy".

That said, skiing a bump field "well" involves an ability to switch the line of choice from troughs to buddy bumps to sideslips to ... As @Bob Barnes memorably said "Half the time, do it right, half the time... do something anyway". I just think that a "sideslip heavy, fast-line-slow" technique is my last choice, so why is that the one that seems to be taught first? :huh:

TS
BluewingDavid

BluewingDavid

Booting up
Skier
B for B teaches 2 tactics: Green Line (shown in the video) and Blue Line (banking off the side of the mogul adjacent to the one you initiate your turn on). They teach the Green Line first because it is the easiest to learn and the slowest and generally safest line. They are also fairly militant in the instruction about skiing slowly. They want you to be able to turn with precise at slow speeds so you know you have the mechanics right. They also emphasize that as we age, our reflexes generally slow and they want to teach an approach that does not require on fast reflexes and also does not involve a lot of pounding on the body. The main demographic for the course, as far as I can tell, is skiers 45 years and older who don't ski moguls much if at all and who want to learn to do so. Anybody who skis moguls and is looking for instruction on how to rip them faster and harder would not be happy with this course for sure.

I can say from personal experience during the course, this approach worked for me. I think skiing is 90% psychological after you acquire the fundamental skills. A big part of the psychology, at least for me, is being comfortable on the terrain and getting time on target to build confidence. The Green Line did that for me. I avoided moguls prior to the course. Right after lunch on the first day after a morning of drills on groomers we started skiing moguls. Using the Green Line I never felt any anxiety. The next day we skied moguls after a few groomer warm-up runs and by mid-day we were skiing some really steep mogul runs. Again, with the Green Line I never felt any anxiety and was able to spend a lot of time on target gaining confidence.

Beginning with the second day the instructors started mixing in Blue Line instruction. They also mention Black Line (skiing the troughs) but do not offer instruction on that since in general they think the demographic of B for B is better off using Green and Blue Line tactics.

As I continued to ski moguls and ungroomed terrain after the course, I got to the point fairly quickly where I was skiing whatever line made sense in the moment. For me that is really what it is all about - having a versatile set of techniques and tactics that can be applied dynamically. I also have gotten comfortable at skiing various speeds. I am not that guy, however, ripping the zipper line.

Re the length of his skis - correct they are short. B for B advocates that older skiers consider skiing shorter length skis. Joe was on Kastle MX84s at 154cm. According to traditional sizing he would be on at least a 170. He skis one set of skis in all conditions and said he has no problems in doing so. When I was at the course on Days 3 and 4 when we went from 95cm Line Bullet skiboards used on Days 1 and 2 to skis they had me on 156cm skis. They skied fine in the bumps and the shorter length was helpful in the continued learning process; however, on the rock hard groomers to get to the bumps and back to the lift, these were too short for me and did not inspire edge-grip confidence. I normally ski 170cm.

Not the only way to learn to ski bumps and not the only way to ski them. For me though it was a great way to get me to ski moguls and has opened up a whole new set of terrain. While I am not slaying it every bump run, I can say that skiing groomers all day is no longer the on mountain experience I am looking for.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This reminds me a lot of the old Lito Tijeras Flores videos and his bumps clinics.

It is a great way to start and a good skill to have when confronted with bumps way out of your comfort zone, wherever that happens to be..if you are starting it may be moguls like the ones in the video. Or it may be humongous ice bumps on Mary Jane or in thin cover where you have to go slow.

Either way practicing skiing super slow motion always a good drill for me. It usually reveals whatever my bad habit de jeur is.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I think it is a good way to begin, provided you don't stay there.
How does this green line / blue line thing work? Is it presented as a progression, or a long-term choice?

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Just listened to the sound in the vid.......... a solid teaching tool........... but he could have thrown in a "Wee" every now and then! :beercheer:

TS
BluewingDavid

BluewingDavid

Booting up
Skier
I think it is a good way to begin, provided you don't stay there.
How does this green line / blue line thing work? Is it presented as a progression, or a long-term choice?

It can be either really. There are 4 types of lines to take down a mogul run: Green Line, Blue Line, Black Line and Zipper Line. Which you use is obviously a personal choice and all can be valid based on skier skill, conditions, how much beer one had for lunch, who you are with, how good your health and life insurance coverages are, your level of comfort during ski patrol sled runs, etc. ;)

For me personally, as I have gained confidence, I ski more of the Blue Line, the Black Line when the troughs are friendly and the Green Line if conditions warrant or if I get a bit offtrack and want to do a reset during a mogul run. I also often start with the Green Line on an unfamiliar run and then when I get the feel for things, will look for the Blue Line. If I find myself in the Zipper Line something has gone terribly wrong and a potentially spectacular ending is likely near at hand.

TS
BluewingDavid

BluewingDavid

Booting up
Skier
Are you kidding me?
Who aspires to ski like that????
Yuk!

Well, I guess I do. Keep in mind that the video shows the basic techniques and tactics taught at the slowest speed. It builds from there. Not for everybody for sure. Not how many people would want to ski moguls all the time. But, a good starting point for building skills and confidence and getting time on target.

peterm

Getting off the lift
Skier
Are you kidding me?
Who aspires to ski like that????
Yuk!

I don't aspire to ski like that, but many people are very intimidated by bumps and just want to be able to take that first step of getting thru them with a degree of control. Can help to learn to crawl before you walk.

The skis are short though aren't they?! Is that a teaching thing? (Edit: Just read BluewingDavid's explanation)

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Well, I guess I do. Keep in mind that the video shows the basic techniques and tactics taught at the slowest speed. It builds from there. Not for everybody for sure. Not how many people would want to ski moguls all the time. But, a good starting point for building skills and confidence and getting time on target.
Me too! No pride points here........... There are MOST DEFINITELY runs where I ski like that too! .............. also always good to keep your snowplow wedge fresh in your mind too! ....used it plenty........ when there is boilerplate ice + moguls + steep + tight trees...........style goes out the window in my book and anything goes to survive w/o drawing blood!

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
I am not a bump maven by any means, but I don't like the technique shown in the video al all. It's not going tow work on steeper gnarlier bumps. The terrain shown in this video is not even bumps, you can almost make GS turns through it if you pick a line carefully. The edge change is super-late in the turn, there is no dynamics in the body, no separation between upper and lower body. To me that looks like teaching people bad habits that would be much harder to unlearn in the future. Yuck indeed.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
I am not a bump maven by any means, but I don't like the technique shown in the video al all. It's not going tow work on steeper gnarlier bumps. The terrain shown in this video is not even bumps, you can almost make GS turns through it if you pick a line carefully. The edge change is super-late in the turn, there is no dynamics in the body, no separation between upper and lower body. To me that looks like teaching people bad habits that would be much harder to unlearn in the future. Yuck indeed.

If the goal is to get down that slope with minimal effort and impact the demo skier did a good job. Lets face it alexn this guy is not teaching me or you he is teaching low intermediates who are elderly to be able to not fear bumps its not a bad thing at all.

It is funny to hear the critiques of this guy from people I am sure would look awful trying to ski bump slowly.......Ill gladly go take video if someone doubts I could do it. To everyone saying that they do not aspire to ski like that, lets see your way of skiing bumps slow.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I appreciate the goal of learning to ski bumps safely and in control, in a skills progression, for the older adult who doesn't have the same range of motion as a younger adult.

That said.....I am reminded of the The Who song My Generation: "hope I die before I get old."

Sponsor

Staff online