• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Bump on my shin

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
A couple weeks ago, I banged a small tree or large shrub with my shin. Now, there is a bump on the bone and, with my alpine boots rather than my AT boots, the bump is in the boot. So, it's sore when I push forward, and sore after I remove the boot at the end of the day. X-rays show no break or fracture. The doctor says I have a "contusion" and can ski. What is this bump? Why is it there?

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Probably a bone bruise. Get them in hockey from blocking shots. Usually get a lump and they can last weeks or months. I took a shot off the ankle about a month ago and strangely, the other side of the ankle is still swollen, the side that got hit is relatively fine except for a small point of pain right on the ankle bone. I wouldn't say it's nothing, because it's like an almost-fracture..but probably it's nothing. Just painful. You may end up with a lump that is semi-permanent..I have one or two of those..

RuleMiHa

Out on the slopes
Skier
@scott43 is correct, contusion means bruise. In some locations they can cause swelling and tenderness for extended periods of time. Should eventually resolve, but I've had them last for months. If they don't resolve fast enough the body will sometimes deposit calcium in the area which will leave a permanent lump.

scott43

Skier
Just throwing this out there..works great for skate lace bite..I imagine good for other things as well..
https://www.sportchek.ca/product/33...Nbu_d_0t9kCFQOwTwodl_4F0A#331191563=331191564

39274_image.jpg

You can get them with a forever-stick backing as well. I know a lot of people suffer from pressure point problems and these things really do work.

scott43

Skier
Hey, do those stiffen up in super cold?
Hard to say..they're beside my foot and I only wear super-thin liner socks in hockey so they're probably mostly warm when I'm using them. Having said that, after pulling the bag out of my car after sitting in the parking lot in -20C all day they don't seem any more stiff or dense than normal. They're some kind of gel-like material..not gel-filled but gel polymer. If you suffer lace-bite, I can't recommend them enough. Lace bite sux.. :(

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
Wish I'd seen those years ago. I've had a number of shin bumps over the years I've padded with donuts cut out of stick-on foam.

They usually disappear over the summer.

MikeS

freeski919
Instructor
@scott43 is correct, contusion means bruise. In some locations they can cause swelling and tenderness for extended periods of time. Should eventually resolve, but I've had them last for months. If they don't resolve fast enough the body will sometimes deposit calcium in the area which will leave a permanent lump.

I have a permanent lump like that. I slid into a tree feet first, hit the tree with the base of my left ski pretty hard and got a wicked deep bruise from my how my tib/fib flexed to absorb the impact. That was almost 3 years ago, and I can still feel the lump on my shin. Fortunately, its about 2 inches above my boot top.

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
Wish I'd seen those years ago. I've had a number of shin bumps over the years I've padded with donuts cut out of stick-on foam.

They usually disappear over the summer.
This.
I have had shin lumps appear at the beginning of a ski season and disappear within one/one and a half month at the end of it. Every year for the past, ahem, decades (at least since the advent of plastic, shin high ski boots). I simply took it as a by product of the skiing activity and rode on. Some years were more painful than others, especially at the end of a season, some years, just a shin lump, something that was there and that was all.
Now, about two seasons ago, I have changed my way of skiing and...no more shin lumps...some discomfort sometime, but no lump. I am also skiing in softer boots, and that might be part of it, but not all, since also at least one other guy I ski with has also changed the way he skis and has noticed the same phenomenon and still skis in a stiffer boot.
I, again, took it as a sign of the fact I was pressuring the front of the boot correctly, but it looks like I must have not been, for all these past years, since...
It appears that I now pressure differently the boot tongue, more gradually, not constantly while still "driving forward", and at a different time of the turn, as a result...no more lump.

Sponsor