• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Building a junior ski racer from an intermediate

Ohioskier

Getting on the lift
Skier
https://www.skiracing.com/premium/5-pieces-of-advice-from-the-parents-of-us-ski-stars

I realize that this is from the premium section of Ski Racing and that some folks may not be able to access it, but I hope that you can. Given the great comments on this thread so far, I think this piece helps to further the discussion.

Thanks for posting this article. Great stuff none of these parents were the pushy high pressure parents. Glad to see the less pressure let kids have fun approach pay off. I know I was happy with that my kids coaches have all been of this mind set.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
I agree, thanks to @SkiSpeed for posting the link to the article. SkiRacing, now skiracingmedia, is one of the very few sources of this kind of content.

Having said that, I take an awful lot of what is written with a fairly big grain of salt. Some articles are written by people that I know, and often what they write does not seem to align with what they have actually told me, or mutual close friends. The organization is very closely aligned with the USSA/USST and while I don't think there is a true lack of objectivity, rarely is anything written that is in direct conflict with the USSA/USST.

This is an interesting one. I like the general message. Ski racing is a LONG road if you have a child who sticks with it. One thing that is essential is that a the kid wants to do this, and that the dreams are the kid's. He/she has to have the drive, the dream, the aspirations and the work ethic to make it happen....regardless of how far they take it. Having this be done to "please" mom and dad, or because mom and/or dad wish that they had been able to follow a ski racing dream, and are living vicariously through the child, eventually leads to a blow up. Normally around 15-16.

Keep in mind these are World Cup parents.

Having said all that, and knowing every one of these athletes and/or their parents, I am pretty astounded to read exactly what is written. If you follow the sport, at least one or more should be glaringly obvious.

I like the overall message, but the credibility is suspect to me.

I have started, edited, and deleted another post about three times over the past couple of days. This thread shows, as do most threads on PugSki related to kids and "ski racing" that there is a HUGE breadth of ways to expose and involve your kid in the sport, and no limit to how much a family sacrifices and puts into it, to reach the dreams of being close to the upper echelons of the sport. It can be like a runaway freight train.

When you begin, I advise getting a pretty good handle on what is involved, and of what a realistic end game might be. It's important. This is a sport where pure mileage on skis, under the direction of good coaches, and with the right equipment matters. It is hard to "catch up", depending on who your kid is trying to catch, and what the long term goals may be. I have seen it for decades. One simple question is how soon and at what age can your child ski "full time", 5-6 days week. Oh, weekends only? That should lead to a conversation.

There are SO many ways to enjoy and love "ski racing". Great options. But taking an occasional weekend skier at say age 11-12, and introducing them to ski racing requires some thought as to what you are hoping to accomplish. It also helps to have your child in a program where the other families, kids and coaches are all on the same page.

If the big picture is to have fun, make great friends, work hard, improve your skiing to the point where you are a great skier down the road...and enjoy whatever level of racing you end up doing that is great. But if that's your goal, do not end up in a program where there are fairly young kids who have legitimate USST and WC goals, as over the top as that sounds.

That's a bit why I chuckle at the article. Fun was surely there, for some of these families. As long as their child was winning and just crushing the competition. That became some of the fun. Not all, but some.

It's often interesting to hear very, very accomplished racers in their early twenties describe how things changed when the pressure increased, it became less fun, and it almost {or did} become a job. Happens at different times for different kids. For many the fun and love of the sport returns a bit after they stop the racing.

The USSA/USST wants to increase numbers and really do a better job with every club, at the grassroots level. Not because they think that will develop the next MS or Ted, but because it will increase overall interest and support for the sport. And as mentioned, there are an awful lot of ways to become active in "ski racing." So I think that may be part of this "make it fun" push. I do not disagree, BTW.

I have been fortunate to watch some middle school and high school racing throughout New England. The kids have a BLAST. And the fact that if you popped an average ski academy age peer in there, he/she would win by a huge margin, is not on their radar. The same thing goes for the hundreds of the lower level USCSA college teams {not the top ones}. They don't even think about the top teams or the NCAA.....they just go out and have a lot of fun, with their friends, and enjoy the competition.

Getting to the top of the pyramid takes a lot of resources, pretty much a year round focus, and a lot of hard work and perseverance. Many ups and downs. There are days when it can be fun, and many more when it's not. We can recall a lot more brutal rides home, and quiet dinners than the really fun ones. It was not because of our reaction as parents. It was because both kids were driven, and had clear impressions in any given race of how they should do. No way to soften it.

So, to a degree you need to begin with some type of end game in mind. Talk to more seasoned parents. Talk to coaches. And don't take everything that you hear as gospel. And of course it all depends on the age at which you start. It is what it is. There are parents relocating with eight year olds so that they can be on snow all of the time. There are kids who are home schooled to increase their on snow hours, at very young ages. And then there are parents who are hiring the best of private coaches. That will hopefully all prove to be excessive. But it also can yield results.

When they are young, dreams are awesome. But if you have a very average 14 year old who thinks he is going to ski onto the US team some day, you need to figure out how to "massage" those expectations, IMO.

If the goal is that he might want to race through college, and then maybe keep at it, or coach, or patrol, etc......different thing. Gets a bit tougher every year, IMO.

And we should want to have the kids, and their families enjoy this, and hopefully set them up to love to ski for a long life!

Last edited:

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Remember many years ago when my daughter was in 2:nd year U10, we came to our first on snow camp in late November. One girl already had 23 days on snow. Twenty three. Age 10.

Muleski

Inactive
My son helped coach a U12 who had 60 plus days on snow between May 1st and October 15th, three years ago.

I know a family with kids, U14 and younger, who have been to both Chile and NZ this summer.....about 30 days on snow.....with a world class private coach. Seriously world class. Not a has-been. They will likely spend a month in Austria in October, then head to Summit County.

I am not suggesting for one minute that this is either right, or sane, just saying that it happens.....and it can "work." Which is problematic for others.

So when a family wants their kid to start to "ski race", they need to have some understanding of what that could/should look like. You absolutely do not need to be on that type of program to have fun, make great ski and race progress and develop into great kid.

Some kids are delighted to make it to their U16 State Champs, some to their Regional Champs, many are over the top to make it to U16 Nationals.....and then there are those who are at Nationals to podium, or win, and have that expectation. And beyond that to be selected by the USST for the International Projects. And there are more in many states who will not get to State Champs, but STILL can have a great experience.

You just can't fly blind on this as a parent. If "that's not us" is where you are, that is just fine. Just find the right mountain/program to really enjoy it when they are young.

SkiSpeed

Getting off the lift
Skier
Thanks @Muleski for your insightful post. I agree with the tenor of your comments and when I look at the number of available slots for our elite racers on WC, I think that this may be one of the toughest, if not the toughest sport to reach that level. Somewhere I think that parents and kids must understand that. Having realistic expectations and guiding one's kids in the right direction is one of the most important things we do as parents. My home mountain has an Academy associated with it and very strong, well-attended formal weekend programming for racing. I can see the difference between both groups. Your observation about pressure and expectations as they get older is critical. At one point in my career, I taught HS and had a student who was recruited to play Division IA football; his coach for his first two years was Tom Coughlin and for the second two years, Dan Henning. When he came home to visit at Thanksgiving during his first year, I asked him how he enjoyed it and he just looked at me and said, it's a job....no joy or passion in his voice. He played 4 years, had great press, but was never big enough to be drafted in the NFL. The one real benefit (from my perspective) was that he earned his degree. Skiing should never devolve to that (but I realize that it does). It is about passion, excitement and developing skills. Racing helps to make kids better skiers, but if they aren't into it, there other avenues that will help them develop their skills to become lifelong skiers.

While not the topic of this thread, your points regarding the current editorial stance of Ski Racing are accurate as well.

TS
BGreen

BGreen

Out on the slopes
Skier
First off, let me just add a +1 to everything @Muleski has posted in this thread. This has been a bit of a thread drift, but sure, lets go with it. @Muleski if you have any interest in putting any of this in a book, I'm game. You have my e-mail (pugski user name at race program .com). I know the athletic director at TSC is working on one.

I didn't read the article @SkiSpeed referenced, but I can take a guess at what it says. A similar article runs every two or three years. I love the Ski Racing columnists, particularly Jim and Edie, but it largely is a PR front for USSA. The only people I can think of who have been in anyway critical were Aldo in the series he wrote, and an article someone from the Eastern Region wrote a few years ago regarding some FIS issues. That's it. I will probably subscribe, but I'm not rushing to do it.

Yes, ski racing can be a long road for one who sticks with it. According to collegedata.com,
... the average cost of tuition and fees for the 2016–2017 school year was $33,480 at private colleges, $9,650 for state residents at public colleges, and $24,930 for out-of-state residents attending public universities.
Even if you aren't serious about it, parents will spend anywhere from the equivalent cost of a college education every few years to a college education every year. The parents have to be able to afford it, but the kid(s) need to be driving the bus. I pushed my older daughter into it and along the program because there are certain life lessons you get from the sport. Starting at U10 age class she started driving the bus in a pretty focused way. I remember one blow up fight when she was incredulous that her mother was making her go to school when the mountain got 14" overnight. The next year our program changed a little and she was forced to decide between moving up to an application required, more intense, focused program, or dropping down to YSL level. I wasn't loving the options because the cost went up significantly. She did this weird thing where she threw a bit of a fit and said either she was doing the more involved program or nothing at all. This seemed odd behavior to me. At that point I called the program director and told him to give away her spot, but I didn't tell her that. Over the next few months, she decided the opportunity cost was too high (i.e. everything she was giving up to ski at that level was more valuable than skiing at that level) and quit. The next year she skied three half-days total.

What seemed like really odd behavior from her -- demanding the higher program and then quitting -- I have since seen in several other athletes, though they were all high school age athletes. In the case of all these athletes, my daughter included, the opportunity cost to continue ski racing was too high. To provide context, my daughter was in a three-day program. The others were in a 5+ day program and looking at moving to FIS level. None of these athletes are from families rolling in extra money, but where the expense of a high-level ski program was something they could handle. In all cases, as far as I know, the decision to quit was 100% athlete driven and came at the surprise, though perhaps not disappointment, of the parents. I have to imagine that the realization of a life left unexplored (that of being a typical high school student) started to weigh heavily on their minds when the results achieved from the athlete's continued hard work and sacrifice doesn't pay out. In other words, sometime around U16 age, athletes become very aware of what they are giving up by spending 5-7 days a week on snow and/or in the gym while simultaneously realizing that these efforts are not netting better race results. The reason is that all their competitors are working equally as hard and making the same sacrifices. Admittedly, if you live in a ski town, it is probably different from the kids who live in the city and commute to skiing. Skiing five days a week is required to remain at the same level as their competitors. If you are reading this as someone who used race, don't pull a "back in my day I skied weekends only and I won everything," the world is different now. For better or worse.

This thread shows, as do most threads on PugSki related to kids and "ski racing" that there is a HUGE breadth of ways to expose and involve your kid in the sport, and no limit to how much a family sacrifices and puts into it, to reach the dreams of being close to the upper echelons of the sport. It can be like a runaway freight train.

I agree with you about the runaway freight train aspect of the sport, however I disagree somewhat about the assertion that there are different ways to participate in the sport of ski racing, and this has been a big issue for me. I think your assertion may be true or false depending on where you live. In Colorado, and I think most of the Western U.S., it is false. The way ski racing is conceived is pretty simple and straight forward. On the bottom end, you have YSL. This is where you learn what racing is and get a little taste of the sport. Then you progress to age class racing (U10-U14), then you progress to ability level (U16-U19) and then FIS and either NCAA or USST level. If at any point your interests change, you can quit.

Simple enough, right? What happens when you have athletes in a full-time program competing in YSL? Is it OK if they are 8-years-old? As was pointed out earlier, ski racing is the only sport that you move up a level just because you get older. There is a flip-side to that coin, which is if you do not improve significantly as you get older, you get ejected from the sport. What you have is a situation that is supposed to be like a funnel, but is more like a centrifuge. Unless the family has nearly unlimited funding and the athlete has nearly unlimited time (I think it is fair to say nearly all U16 and older athletes capable of landing in the top 5 of a race are either home schooled or in an academy), they will be ejected from that track long before they reach their potential.

Luckily for those athletes (most everyone), there is another track, which is junior high, high school, USCSA. USCSA is a strange racing league where you may have someone skiing down a course in a wedge chased down the hill by someone who is nearly national team level but who decided to pursue an academic path in college (this is where chiefs of timing go crazy). But, and this is a great big BUT, not that many schools offer this level of racing and it tends to be pretty low level competition. You have a track for high level skiers, and you have a track for low level skiers. You have nothing for your average 100-200 point athlete, which let's be honest, is most people.

The reality as I see it is this: you can be successful at YSL level skiing 2-3 days a week, but YSL ends at U14. Age class competitors are on snow three days a week starting at U10 progressing to five days a week by U14. Above U14, a competitor will not be competitive unless they are in a full time program. This is not to say you have to ski this much to race, just that you have to enjoy placing in the bottom half of the field. For the sake of transparency, the group I coach is a three day age class program. The athletes are very dedicated, but they have other things going on in their lives that are equally important to them (family, academics, other sports, music, theater). It is extremely unlikely any of them will progress beyond a NCAA D2 level or more likely USCSA, and there are no delusions to the contrary. They are here to work hard, have fun and do the best they can without expectation. I do have some older athletes moving up from YSL and I think they understand the reality of what they are walking in to.

Up until a year or so ago, the possibility of a college scholarship was a carrot dangled in front of athletes and parents by coaches and program directors to keep kids in the sport, training and competing at a high level after they should have quit and moved on with their lives. I think that myth has been debunked, but I know a few athletes who realized they got used and fleeced for a program director's own goals and desires and never forgave the person.

When you begin, I advise getting a pretty good handle on what is involved, and of what a realistic end game might be. It's important. This is a sport where pure mileage on skis, under the direction of good coaches, and with the right equipment matters. It is hard to "catch up", depending on who your kid is trying to catch, and what the long term goals may be. I have seen it for decades. One simple question is how soon and at what age can your child ski "full time", 5-6 days week. Oh, weekends only? That should lead to a conversation.

This leads to my next issue. We have data on exactly how much snow time is required to be successful at each age group starting at U10, and how much is too much. We know that up to a point, time on snow starting at a very early age is required for success in the current U.S. ski racing system (emphasis on U.S. because I think the rest of the world is smarter here). However, buy the time the athlete reaches U16-U19 age, you have burned out the athlete and exhausted the family's finances. Let me put a finer point on this: It is pre-determined what a ski racer's maximum achievable potential is by age 11. There is no longer the option for a skier to grow organically with the sport as was possible when we were growing up.

There are SO many ways to enjoy and love "ski racing". Great options. But taking an occasional weekend skier at say age 11-12, and introducing them to ski racing requires some thought as to what you are hoping to accomplish. It also helps to have your child in a program where the other families, kids and coaches are all on the same page.

The original intent of the thread was exactly this, taking kids, introducing them to the fun of racing, teaching them some technique that can be applied all over the mountain, having a good time.

But if that's your goal, do not end up in a program where there are fairly young kids who have legitimate USST and WC goals, as over the top as that sounds.

This is sage and crucial advice that parents need to be very careful of. We live in an age where parents want the best for their children and can pay for it. However, it is imperative to understand that there is a big difference between THE BEST and the best for your child. Some programs are pretty upfront about that, most are just happy to take your money. Go to the program whose values and goals align with yours.

My son helped coach a U12 who had 60 plus days on snow between May 1st and October 15th ... I know a family with kids, U14 and younger, who have been to both Chile and NZ this summer.....about 30 days on snow.....with a world class private coach.

This is my point. This is neither good nor bad, it is the current reality of the sport. At any given level, it is important for athletes and parents to understand the landscape.

Muleski

Inactive
@BGreen, great post.

I do think there are some differences, regionally. In New England, there are a lot of middle school and high school teams. Some of those HS kids in the past have not even been USSA members. I'm a bit out of touch with the HS skiing, but I know there was a push in at least some states to get those kids into the USSA. In some states, the HS kids do race some USSA races as well. I think the big difference is that it's another HS sport, with participation in the winter. And it's fun. There are some kids who do race, a lot, and race in HS, and those schools tend to be in/near mountain towns.

However, the chasm between that group and the group who are at the big Eastern academy programs is just huge. And I agree, the difference really starts to widen at the U14 stage. Though if you watch with a careful eye, there are wide differences at the younger ages. At least a few "full time" programs are working to accommodate younger kids, and their schooling to enable them to be on snow more, as @BGreen suggests. I'm not seeing a push to do that in the 3rd-6th grades as much in the East. I do see it elsewhere.

And of course, there have always been families who were big on home schooling, largely to enable a lot of on snow time at very young ages. My kids met classmates in the 8th grade at their ski academies who were going to be skiing a lot less...having been on snow almost every day of the season while home schooled for years. Always thought that was strange.

I really think one of the keys on this is to begin with the end game, or potential end games in mind. And to be very, very cautious and aware of the challenges of catching up with age group peers who have been all in for some time.

It's very different than it was. I know a tremendous young man, now an MD, who had been a long time weekend racer in a good program, where they also have an academy. He was in a school elsewhere where he was on snow some of the winter midweeks. No good terrain, no good coaching. But he was the one kid as a J1 who was a hard worker and really fin in with the academy kids. He was also a VERY good athlete, and smart. Very coachable.

Begged his parents to let him defer his college admission, and ski full time as PG, in a group with others, all of whom had been full time skiers {BTW, parents...everybdy PG's. He had been told that really breaking through would be hard, "catching up" impossible. Didn't buy it. Worked like a dog in the spring and summer. This group skied a lot to get ready for the season. I think on snow every four weeks.

He was about a 75-80 point FIS skier. The others more like 30-40 point skiers. By New Year's, it was obvious that he was skiing maybe10 points faster. Not 40 points, or even 20 points faster. And the other guys were all skiing faster. Some popping great results. I recall talking to him in January and he realized that it was NOT going to happen. He ended up shifting gears and jumped into another gap year option. He skied in a pretty low key college program, with no pressure. Loved it.

My point is that I have seen the "catch up" thinking for close to 50 years. It almost never happens. And the chances are tiny today.

I really do think it requires some thinking about what "ski racing" essentially means to you, your kids, your family.

Every ski family that I know who had a kid at one of the Eastern NCAA private colleges {Bates, Colby, Dartmouth, Middlebury, Wiliams, etc.} had been through the ski academy experience, and a ton of extra expense. We should chuckle about how much less expensive it was to be paying, at the time {it goes up about 6% a year}, $60K+ to have them in college. Plus the other ski extras....

The only kids who I know who have ski scholarships are coming off the USST, or darn near the system. And even then, the full scholarship is pretty elusive. Those go to the European WC skiers.

I know this sounds brutally harsh. When your kid loves Mikaela, and expresses how she wants to be like MS, and on the USST, on the WC, this about it. Even if you ski where you see a lot of college racers, who are great kids, think about how tough it is to reach that level.

The sport is a great one in SO many respects. And 99% of it has zero to do with race results and profiles. The other one percent is ALL about that, starting at younger ages. The USST development folks know who the best U14's and even U12's in the country are. They are already working with the kids who are the U16's to transition them into their FIS careers. Is it right? Is it fair? These folks are trying to identify the MS's , LV's, LIgety's and Bode's of these birth years.

The sport can be cruel........A carefully thought out match of what is the right plan and program for your child is really important.

50 years ago my brother played soccer, skied and played lacrosse.......all at the D1 level, for four years. Almost won the national championship in skiing. Ten years later, I expressed interest in doing the same at the same school, and was told impossible. So I went to a different school and skied, while playing one other sport for four years. As our kids began to think about this kind of stuff, 15 years ago, it was very clear that if they were going
to ski in college, the other sports would be taking a distant back seat, or dropped. I would say at that point it was obvious. And since then, the start time to be on snow full time has dropped, and the amount of days has increased. I also think that programs are incorporating rest, much better. Training as Mikaela did as a teen. The best are racing less, and training much smarter, and training year round. Summer skiing, BTW is not the six days at Mt. Hood.

Begin with the end in mind. There are ways to navigate through this, for sure, but it's not clear to many/most.

Sponsor