• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
:roflmao:

I have Head B5 RD "junior" race boots, because my feet are so low-volume, it's hilarious. I had Boot Doc liners foamed into them last winter, and they felt damn good.
I've gained 10 lbs. since then. (The divorce diet wore off.) Ayayay they are tight now! Or, my feet just aren't used to them. Testing them out this weekend. Wish me luck. One thing about the BD liners is they do NOT pack out. I'm going to be so mad if I have to get new boots again because my feet got 2mm fatter.
Back to the knee high nylons for a while.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m having an easier time, I guess.

After I got my new Tecnica Mach1 LV 120’s, I tried them on a few times around the house (with my Ski Trax on, of course). I used strips of electrical tape on the shell to mark where I felt too much pressure. Last Monday I met with my bootfitter, who did an analysis of my feet and stance, in and out of the shell without liners and then with liners. He first trimmed my existing custom footbeds to fit the narrower last, then added cork to fully post the footbeds. My right foot required more support at the arch and at the heel. Then cuff alignment. My left boot does not need more canting but my right leg is more bowl-legged (possibly due to a tib-fib spiral fracture in 2010), so he is ordering a 2 1/2 degree Cantology stip for my right boot. I also noted some uncomfortable pressure under the ball of my right foot. We added heel lifts which helped, but didn’t eliminate the problem. He took off some material from the bottom of the right footbed, still painful. So, I decided to have him make new footbeds. He did the heat mold with off-the shelf Sole brand footbeds, and will have them ready for me when I come back next Monday (with Cantology strip on the right boot).

I have to add, with all that, I did not need any punches or even heat molding of the liners. I have never before had a boot that fit so well, holding down my heel and fitting well in the forefoot, without crushing my bony ankles. I’m skiing this weekend with my old Full Tilts, then will pick up my Tecnicas on Monday and try them out the day after Thanksgiving, so I’ll be able to see how they’re really fitting.

RuleMiHa

Out on the slopes
Skier
:roflmao:

I have Head B5 RD "junior" race boots, because my feet are so low-volume, it's hilarious. I had Boot Doc liners foamed into them last winter, and they felt damn good.
I've gained 10 lbs. since then. (The divorce diet wore off.) Ayayay they are tight now! Or, my feet just aren't used to them. Testing them out this weekend. Wish me luck. One thing about the BD liners is they do NOT pack out. I'm going to be so mad if I have to get new boots again because my feet got 2mm fatter.
Try wearing compression socks for 24 hours and then put on your boots.

john petersen

working through minutia to find the big picture!
Instructor
hmmmm, new boots or diet again......new boots or diet again........new boots or diet again.....not an easy choice!

;)

JP

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Thanks for the thoughts here, guys. I have a week long skiing event coming up in Dec and had better be ready for it!....this discussion answers some questions that were floating around in my noggin.

Ill be wearing the new boots around the house and may take them into the gym (re our basement!) and play around with some balance exercises......

Ive also gotta take them outside and see how they feel when its cold out!......

JP

Put the shells in the fridge...

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Hmm

First three days. I've got shin bang and bilateral hot spots at the medial malleolus.
Day four with "thicker ski socks" Only the shin sensitivity remains.

I'm thinking a couple of "doughnuts" will cure the ankle issues and time will take care of the shin bang. While I wait for "time" to pass, I stuff pads it my boot tops. ;-)

RuleMiHa

Out on the slopes
Skier
Hmm

First three days. I've got shin bang and bilateral hot spots at the medial malleolus.
Day four with "thicker ski socks" Only the shin sensitivity remains.

I'm thinking a couple of "doughnuts" will cure the ankle issues and time will take care of the shin bang. While I wait for "time" to pass, I stuff pads it my boot tops. ;-)
Won't the shin bang get worse as the liners pack out? What about a Booster Strap?

john petersen

Instructor
I agree with the time in the boot thing at the beginning of the season!....it usually takes a day or so to get back in ski mode and that includes getting used to the boots again.....

Most of it goes away, right, and if it does not, then it can be considered an issue.....

I like the idea of putting the liners in the fridge....but, brrrrrrr...!

;)

JP

Viking9

Out on the slopes
Skier
I’ve got my new Rossi ( of course we’re still # 1 ) Allspeed elite 130 and one thing I notice is the booster strap inside instead of out , this has always been a BIG eye roller for me ,,,,,,until now.
I gotta say I kind of like it.

john petersen

Instructor
I’ve got my new Rossi ( of course we’re still # 1 ) Allspeed elite 130 and one thing I notice is the booster strap inside instead of out , this has always been a BIG eye roller for me ,,,,,,until now.
I gotta say I kind of like it.

This is a biggie for me too!....Ive been in Rossi boots for years and found better performance/comfort with the booster strap on the inside of the shell....(factory booster, not aftermarket...)

JP

Joel

Having fun
Skier
I'm a bit late to this but thought I'd chime in with my experience. First my standard disclosure, I just started skiing a few years ago, so still a noob.

My feet are a pain to fit with just shoes, flat footed, over pronation, Morton toe. Most of the time growing up, my feet would get stuffed into shoes that were too small. It wasn't till I realized as an adult that I need to fit shoes/boots as if my foot did not have Morton toe. Once I did this, life for my feet got better. I could hike in boots all day without pain ( also partly from finding a brand that seems to really fit my feet ).

Over pronation and flat feet are mostly a problem when in shoes, bottom of my foot wants to become the top. Solution mostly is to not run.

My hiking boots offer support to my ankles and works out OK because they are reasonably compliant. Ski boots were a different issue. My ankles would slam into the side of the shell, boot liner was not enough. What worked for me was to first get a footbed in to support my foot and help roll it into position ( address the over pronation somewhat ). They key was to make sure my arch was completely supported, not just at the center or outside part, but the complete bottom of my foot is in contact the the foot bed. Hot spots showed up pretty fast. I like the Soles brand for this and heat mold them after they were trimmed to fit the liner.

Once the footbed was squared away, I heat molded the liners. This helped relieve the remaining bumps and lumps on my foot. From there it was just wear them. So far I have not felt the need to get any shell work done. and have had minimal issues on a half day outing ( the longest I've been out so far ).

I probably only wore each of the pairs I have a couple hours before taking them out. I think I got lucky that each of the two brands I have were reasonably easy to fit, LaSportiva Spectres 2.0 and Scott VooDoo.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'm a bit late to this but thought I'd chime in with my experience. First my standard disclosure, I just started skiing a few years ago, so still a noob.

My feet are a pain to fit with just shoes, flat footed, over pronation, Morton toe. Most of the time growing up, my feet would get stuffed into shoes that were too small. It wasn't till I realized as an adult that I need to fit shoes/boots as if my foot did not have Morton toe. Once I did this, life for my feet got better. I could hike in boots all day without pain ( also partly from finding a brand that seems to really fit my feet ).

Over pronation and flat feet are mostly a problem when in shoes, bottom of my foot wants to become the top. Solution mostly is to not run.

My hiking boots offer support to my ankles and works out OK because they are reasonably compliant. Ski boots were a different issue. My ankles would slam into the side of the shell, boot liner was not enough. What worked for me was to first get a footbed in to support my foot and help roll it into position ( address the over pronation somewhat ). They key was to make sure my arch was completely supported, not just at the center or outside part, but the complete bottom of my foot is in contact the the foot bed. Hot spots showed up pretty fast. I like the Soles brand for this and heat mold them after they were trimmed to fit the liner.

Once the footbed was squared away, I heat molded the liners. This helped relieve the remaining bumps and lumps on my foot. From there it was just wear them. So far I have not felt the need to get any shell work done. and have had minimal issues on a half day outing ( the longest I've been out so far ).

I probably only wore each of the pairs I have a couple hours before taking them out. I think I got lucky that each of the two brands I have were reasonably easy to fit, LaSportiva Spectres 2.0 and Scott VooDoo.
I had a customer come into the shop with fitting concerns.
He had been to a few shops with his ankle issue to get a punch in that area, but the ankle was getting worse.
Instead of a punch, we put a pad on the inside of the ankle area to snug it up and keep his ankle from banging on the inside of the boot.
So, you see, sometimes the area of the pain has a fix that isn't necessarily what someone thinks it may be.

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
@Tricia,

Yup, exactly. I’ve got the ankle C’s to keep them from hitting the shell. Knowing what to do with your boots is part of the art and science of boot fitting. What a layman thinks should be done can be the exact opposite of what actually works. That is why finding a good boot fitter is an absolute must for all serious skiers.

Sponsor

Staff online