• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

NoScoped

Booting up
Skier
Is it worth doing anything to break in new boots besides riding them? Have heard some people say to wear them around the house for 15-60 minutes at a time. Have heard other people say that it's not worth it and that the only way to break in boots is to ski in them. What say you?

WheatKing

Ice coast carveaholic
Skier
I wear them at home.. helps identify any pressure points before i get on the hill.. no sense ruining a good day of skiing when the problem could have been taken care of before you get to the hill. Mind you.. I've got pretty screwed up feet.. Never had a pair of boots that didn't need some work.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I've tuned my skis in them, but they were so snug I could only handle 15 minutes at a time. I put Ski Tracks on them so I didn't kill myself on the cement floor. Still needed to ski in them for ten days, but with a pass it didn't matter if I left early. Frankly, they were snug enough that after 70 days they were still needing a toe punch. I probably should have done that sooner, then my toe wouldn't have been so black.

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
My boot fitter sends me home with the newly fitted and adjusted boots with the instructions to wear them for 10 hours. I keep a log of the time spent wearing the boots. I use Walk EZs or YakTraks to make walking easier and protect the floors. Normally I wear them in 1 or 2 hour sessions. I keep track of hots spots and other issues while wearing them. Then back to the fitter after the ten hours is up to have the needed adjustments made.

This is a great way to break in new boots without breaking my feet. When I get out on snow my feet are happy.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I always thought it was more about breaking in your feet. To get them used to being locked into a tight, plastic vice. Not really necessary to break them in before skiing though.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Not only do I have them on in the house to break them in but also every fall to get my feet ready for ski season. How many of us do this in the fall or is it we just can't wait for the season to start?

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Not only do I have them on in the house to break them in but also every fall to get my feet ready for ski season. How many of us do this in the fall or is it we just can't wait for the season to start?

21314707_10154994709373014_6451309740035680842_n.jpg

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier

Not in many years have I done that. But yes, more about anticipation than any practical reasoning for sure.

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
Once upon a time, one of the Ski Mags had little piece about a woman who tried her boots on just before the start of the season and found that one of'em seemed way shorter than it had been at the end of the last season. Took the boots into the shop to have the fitter take a look at them. He found a dead mouse in the toe of the shorter boot. Good reason to try boots on before you go out for the first day of the season. Personally I've worn my boots for an hour or so over several days (sitting around the house) before the season starts. Gets my feet used to the feel of the boots again. So far no dead mice found.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Years ago, we owned a vacation house at Camelback in the Poconos. The ski boots got left up there in the summer, inside, but the condo was mostly unused (no air conditioning). One winter we discovered that an entire bag of birdseed had been transported from under the kitchen sink to the hall closet where the boots were. One boot was full to the top. Almost empty seed bag (maybe a cup left in it) still under the sink.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I've tuned my skis in them, but they were so snug I could only handle 15 minutes at a time. I put Ski Tracks on them so I didn't kill myself on the cement floor..

Excellent callout. I put the yak Trax Ski Trax on the boots before they go in the bag and leave them on until I'm walking on snow.. hang them on the rail outside the lodge with my cable lock.. But ya, put them on when walking around the house breaking in boots as well... Save your A55, save your soles..

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
One more variable to consider. They will be a lot less forgiving out in the elements than they are in your 75 degree living room. Might be worthwhile to take a 20 minute walk in them outside... but WITH yak trax, cat tracks, or Walk EZs protecting the soles. Do NOT do any non essential walking around without the soles protected.

Sponsor