• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Boot shell size fitting

Michael Ando

Booting up
Skier
I was going to ask this in the Boot Fit Confusion thread but decided to start a new thread instead.
I went to a very well respected ,experienced boot fitter who examined and carefully measured my feet. One of the measurements was from heel over instep and to the opposite side of my heel . My instep is very high and pressure over the instep has been an ongoing problem for me. The fitter explained that there wasnt any boot that would be high enough over the instep and still have he correct shell length . He said that it wasnt really possible to alter any boot sufficiently with regard to instep height and that I would need to compromise on "correct" length to get the best overall fit possible. I believe the idea was that my foot couldnt slide forward or my heel lift as my instep was held firmly against the boot shell.
This seemed to be true in the shop.
Given how strongly it is normally emphasised that the boot shell must be the "correct" length I would be interested to know what people thought of this persons advice ?
Thanks Mike

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I was going to ask this in the Boot Fit Confusion thread but decided to start a new thread instead.
I went to a very well respected ,experienced boot fitter who examined and carefully measured my feet. One of the measurements was from heel over instep and to the opposite side of my heel . My instep is very high and pressure over the instep has been an ongoing problem for me. The fitter explained that there wasnt any boot that would be high enough over the instep and still have he correct shell length . He said that it wasnt really possible to alter any boot sufficiently with regard to instep height and that I would need to compromise on "correct" length to get the best overall fit possible. I believe the idea was that my foot couldnt slide forward or my heel lift as my instep was held firmly against the boot shell.
This seemed to be true in the shop.
Given how strongly it is normally emphasised that the boot shell must be the "correct" length I would be interested to know what people thought of this persons advice ?
Thanks Mike
Mike,

He is telling you the truth. This is not a new practice, even going in the wayback machine Salomon looked at instep measurement as the most important in the measurement process. Example, if you are 26cm in length but 29cm around the instep measured from one side if the heel to the other, there is no way you will get into a normal 26. I am not saying you will end up in the 29, but very well 27 or 28. I will let @otto expand more but the fitter is doing the right thing.

TS
M

Michael Ando

Booting up
Skier
Thanks Phil, Its good to be reassured. I wanted to trust this person but as I had never seen anything like this mentioned re boot fitting ( its always correct length that is emphasised ) I had some doubts. I will now proceed with confidence.
Cheers Mike

Sponsor

Staff online