• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Boot fit confusion

Karl B

USSA L100
Skier
@scowar I highly recommend paying a visit to Mark McLaren at The Ski Co. Ltd in downtown Rochester, MI. He is a very well respected bootfitter and will take good care of you.

Karl

surfandski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Clearwater Beach, Fl and Pisgah Forest, NC
I agree with everyone recommending the smaller size. I made the mistake of going too comfortable last year (felt comfortably snug in the store) and after 5 days skiing I was swimming in them. I ended up having to buy a 2nd pair mid season that was both smaller and a narrower last. I too was coming back from a 20+ year hiatus and forgot just how damn tight a boot should feel in the store. After bringing the 2nd pair of boots home and putting them on a dozen times I was seriously 2nd guessing how tight they were because my feet would go numb after 5 minutes. I even mounted an extra pair of bindings to plywood and tried replicating skiing in my living room and even that didn't break them in much. However, after skiing in them for 5 days they broke in nicely and are really snug but comfortable. It's crazy how much the liners will break in (even in high-end boots) so if you plan to ski even remotely aggressive, you will want them really snug in the store which equals comfortably snug on the slopes. If you can just chill in them in the store for 15+ minutes right out of the box I'd be concerned they are too big.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Hello everyone - new to the site. So i'm getting back into skiing after about a 20 year hiatus. I skied quite a bit when I was younger (ages 15-25), but am 45 now. I will not be racing, mainly skiing blue and blacks, some moguls, etc. I live in mid Michigan lower peninsula so we're talking all groomed trails with some ice. Unfortunately probably no trips out west to any real mountains. So there's the background info. Where I live (near Flint) there are no boot fitters or anyone of that specialty. In fact there is really only one ski shop around that has been in business forever in the area. I've been there twice in the past week trying to nail down a proper boot. The first person I dealt with did all the measurements and said I was a 27.5. I tried a few on. Very comfortable size. Easy to walk around on. Toes just touch the end of the boot when standing upright/walking and pull back (not touching the front at all) when flexed forward into ski position. I returned a few days later and had a different person help me. He said the 27.5 was too big for me and advised me to go with 26.5. Now the 26.5 feels quite small length-wise when walking around. In fact my big toe has to curl up slightly when standing upright and walking around which causes discomfort since every time you take a step the already slightly curled big toe jams into the front. However when in ski position the toes pull back of course and are just barely touching the end so there is light contact (unlike the 27.5 where there is no contact with the front in ski position). He said this is what you want when you are skiing is to feel the end of the boot for better control. He also mentioned the liners will wear in with use and they probably won't be quite so uncomfortable after skiing in them a few times. He said not to worry about how it feels when standing upright/walking, that what matters is how it feels in a ski position. I mean it makes sense I guess, but damn the 27.5 felt so much more comfortable walking around the room. I've done lots of research on the web these last few days and I do read a lot on how your boots should fit tight and that you don't want a boot that fits too loose like a tennis shoe, but how tight is too tight? The rest of the fit on the 26.5 feels fine, it's just the big toe jamming into the front. He did heat the liner up for 10 minutes and had me try it back on for a while, but it didn't feel all that different. Any advice would be appreciated.

As a side note - this probably has no correlation to ski boot sizes, but I pretty much wear a size 10 across the board in shoe size.
I skied out of Michigan for a looooong time before I moved to Tahoe and became a bootfitter.
I went to Crystal Mountain in Michigan to see Jim, who happens to be a really good fitter.
However, it sounds like Mike (and Binder) are on the right track. (see quotes below)

Keeping in mind - The correct size is the best if its a good fit for the overall shape of your foot.
You want it to feel like a snug handshake(really snug) in a uniform way around your foot fight your toes pressed firmly in the front of the boot while you're heel is in the back pocket.
When you flex into it, you should feel your toes pull back slightly but still brushing the front of the boot. Keep in mind that your toes are actually feeling the liner, which will pack out a little as you ski.
If you feel hot spots or pressure points, you need to describe them to your fitter so he/she can determine what the fix is for that spot. Most often, you'll have one or two adjustments to be "dialed" and then you'll thank us, and the fitter, for your skiing experience.

The second fitter is trying to sell you the correct size, listen to him.

This. If you eventually feel that the 26.5 is really too small, then room can be made in the shell by punching, shaving, or otherwise making it bigger. You can't make a big shell smaller. And, by the way, did they do a shell fit? Chances are it is the liner making your toes curl, not the shell. The liner can be modified in oh so many ways.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I agree with everyone recommending the smaller size. I made the mistake of going too comfortable last year (felt comfortably snug in the store) and after 5 days skiing I was swimming in them. I ended up having to buy a 2nd pair mid season that was both smaller and a narrower last. I too was coming back from a 20+ year hiatus and forgot just how damn tight a boot should feel in the store. After bringing the 2nd pair of boots home and putting them on a dozen times I was seriously 2nd guessing how tight they were because my feet would go numb after 5 minutes. I even mounted an extra pair of bindings to plywood and tried replicating skiing in my living room and even that didn't break them in much. However, after skiing in them for 5 days they broke in nicely and are really snug but comfortable. It's crazy how much the liners will break in (even in high-end boots) so if you plan to ski even remotely aggressive, you will want them really snug in the store which equals comfortably snug on the slopes. If you can just chill in them in the store for 15+ minutes right out of the box I'd be concerned they are too big.

Something a fitter pointed out to me at some point .. if you're someone who can't ski more than a few days a season - like, you only get those 5 days - then maybe you don't want to spend essentially your whole season breaking in your boots. I don't know how he addressed this issue with those skiers. Clearly there's a conflict.

You want it to feel like a snug handshake(really snug) in a uniform way around your foot fight your toes pressed firmly in the front of the boot while you're heel is in the back pocket.

Also, if you already know you have something weird about your feet (like, for me, even a lot of leather sneakers hurt after a couple of hours because of my bunions) - just know that you're going to need some modifications. Because if you buy a boot wide enough to fit that trouble area, the rest of your foot will be swimming. That can lead to everything from difficulty controlling your skis to shin bang, toe bang, and blisters.

wyowindrunner

Getting off the lift
Skier
If you feel hot spots or pressure points, you need to describe them to your fitter so he/she can determine what the fix is for that spot. Most often, you'll have one or two adjustments to be "dialed" and then you'll thank us, and the fitter, for your skiing experience.
. If a person takes a picture after removing the boot with the hot spots still visible on the feet it will help the fitter.

PTskier

Been goin' downhill for years....
Pass Pulled
. If a person takes a picture after removing the boot with the hot spots still visible on the feet it will help the fitter.
Or mark the hot spots with red ink or lipstick or some way that shows in the photo.

My boots are size 28.5 with 29.5 liners. Fits just right. My conspiracy theory about boot makers is that they want you to fit the liner, not the shell. When the liner stretches as they all do, we'll say, "the boots are shot, they're sloppy, I need new boots," so you buy another pair. I have no evidence whatsoever, but that's my CT and I'm sticking to it.

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
Hope this fits into this thread. I bought a pair of boots last year and somewhere along the way the fitter put a heal wedge (lift for the back section of the foot). It wound up killing my skiing.

Years back Nick Blaylock, used to be with GMO years back at Stratton, put the lift in the front of my boot. I believe that for me it belongs in the front. I also believe that the wedge in front helped me ski the best that I ever have in my life time. That was awesome.

Do boot fitters use lifts in the front often? What are your thoughts on this? One last thing about me is that my foot has exceptional mobility and flexibility. Could that be part of the need for lifting the front.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Hope this fits into this thread. I bought a pair of boots last year and somewhere along the way the fitter put a heal wedge (lift for the back section of the foot). It wound up killing my skiing.

Years back Nick Blaylock, used to be with GMO years back at Stratton, put the lift in the front of my boot. I believe that for me it belongs in the front. I also believe that the wedge in front helped me ski the best that I ever have in my life time. That was awesome.

Do boot fitters use lifts in the front often? What are your thoughts on this? One last thing about me is that my foot has exceptional mobility and flexibility. Could that be part of the need for lifting the front.
Lifting the front of the boot is a"gas peddle" it is is done when needed. Now it has to do with the boot in question. A boot like the new Lange is very upright with minimal ramp in the boot. Inside the boot is ramp, outside the boot is delta. There could be a lot going on with stance, very little of it can be addressed on-line. I would suggest going back to Nick...with your gear in hand..skis included.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

Disclaimer: I have no idea!

With that in mind, I have the opposite situation, tight calves / tight ankles, and the heel lift makes my skiing better.

surfandski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Clearwater Beach, Fl and Pisgah Forest, NC

Definitely depends upon the person...and the boots. My old 1990's race boots had a lot more aggressive stance than my new upright RS130s. Due to having 2 plates and 17 screws in my right tibia and fibula I have very limited dorsi-flexion and therefore have a 1/2" heel lift in both boots. I thought it would throw off my skiing and would potentially need to gas pedal the bindings to compensate but I absolutely love the lifts in my boots. My only regret is not having gone stiffer than 130 flex but may try a stiffer liner this season.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
If you can feel a change in your fit as your toenails grow............. that's a nice fit!............. in the toe area anyway! Keep em trimmed! :)
So true :golfclap:one of the speech's I would tell my customers was "If you forget to trim your toe nails your boot will feel to short"

Sponsor