• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Boot fit confusion

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I was sized up to my bigger left foot which was a disaster. Then bootfitter sized me down to my smaller foot which was better but I still had issues. I found another fitter and turns out it was the wrong boot for me. He tweaked my boot and got me through the season. Last fall he put me in a new boot that changed my life. I have a 6th toe among other right foot issues and Nick gave me a "apartment " for my "toe" aka he blew out the toe part and whatta difference. Its not my home mountain but I'm there enough. I always start off my season there in case I need a tweak or two. He's about 3 hours away for me but I make a trip there whenever I need him. He's got a ton of examiners and instructors that see him and he's amazing. I went to see him 5 minutes before closing as i was headed to banff and I needed a last minute tweak and he took care of me. You can't put a price on a great fitter and it's the most important thing, more important than what you are skiing. Good luck!

TS
S

scowar

Booting up
Skier
Yes he had me take off my thicker cotton socks and put some thin nylon type ski socks on during fitting. Second guy did anyway. First guy did not, although I was wearing thin dress socks that day.

TS
S

scowar

Booting up
Skier
Also all you folks driving 3 hours or so to visit your bootfitters would make me look quite lazy if I didn't take the 45 min jaunt to A squared to visit the fitter there. I think I found the place online.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Last winter I flew across the country. Well, not really, I was going to gathering anyways. I just saved up all my complaints till I saw him. Now is the time to get this done. They aren't as busy as they will be in 2 months. Also you might be able to get some new/old stock on sale.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
@surfsnowgirl, was that Blaylock? I'm making an appointment with him soon.

Yes Nick is outstanding. He's such a nice guy who really knows his stuff. My level 1 examiner at sugarbush has even been to him. I read about Nick in a ski magazine article about the top bootfitters in the US and he's conveniently at one of my mountains. My boss at the mountain where I teach goes to him also. Nick isn't about selling boots, he's about fit and if he can make your existing boots work he will. He's also good about pulling out new old stock if you do end up needing boots. I can't say enough about him. We'll be at snow Columbus weekend to see him. Good luck.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
With the sales that are going on around here (Summit County, CO) you could pay for a plane ticket and shuttle on the savings AND get a knowledgeable bootfitter putting you in the right boot and the right size. Its crazy how low '17 models sell for (50% off) and the shop I work at has '16 models, too, for 70% off.

PTskier

Been goin' downhill for years....
Pass Pulled
Labeled boot size is somewhat flexible. One brand's 27.5 might be bigger or smaller than another brand's. Then there's width. And instep volume. And cuff diameter.

You want the boot to fix as an exoskeleton. Snug and comfortable like a lobster's shell. A fitter can make a boot bigger, but has few techniques for making it smaller. If the toe really is tight, it can be ground out or heated and punched out. Expect something like that. We all have lumps & bumps on our feet, and we do not want the boot so big that it accommodates all those spots out-of-the-box. Rule of thumb--if the boot is comfy in the shop, it's too big. The liner will stretch and mold to fit your foot; this isn't really packing out. A packed-out liner is worn out and due for replacement.

A shell fit should show something like 1/2" to 5/8" of room from your heel to the bare shell with your toes lightly touching the end of the shell, liner out of course. (If you boot pros have a different measure, let us know.) Forget finger fit. One finger, two fingers, whose fingers? In the shell, centered, spread the boot open and look at the gap on the sides. 1 to 3 mm of space on the sides is good. More than that is too much.

I ski with a guy with feet like pancakes. Wide and flat. He needs a low volume boot heated and stretched to fit him. I have feet like carpenter's pencils. Long, flat, skinny & skinny ankles. I need a low volume boot plus a thick insole plus a tongue shim (and a punch out for the knob at my left 5th metatarsal). Neither of us gets a good fit otherwise--too much volume above the foot. I ski with a woman with high insteps. She needs a boot with volume there. This is why there are so many brands and models of boots. Keep trying until you find the one that fits as snugly as possible without discomfort.

We haven't even talked about flex yet. (1) there is no consistent industry standard about flex numbers. One brand's 100 might equal another brand's 90 and a different brand's 110. (2) Opinions about what flex rating to get vary about as much as opinions about next week's weather. I like a stiff boot. I have boots labeled 130 that ski like they may be 140. I'm not a racer. I like the quick response when I put some input for the ski into the boot. And, I like the stiffness to brace against when I'm off balance and need something to lever against to get re-centered. Others like boots with more flex. Good luck. You're sailing into barely charted waters.

Wintersteiger (the ski tuning equipment company) has a 3D laser foot scanner which "provides a three-dimensional image of the customer's feet in seconds. It also supplies a wealth of measurement data such as instep height, ankle circumference, foot length and width, thereby helping sports retailers to recommend suitable insoles and ski boots."
https://www.wintersteiger.com/us/Group/News/Latest-News/238-WINTERSTEIGER-wins-ISPO-Award

If they also have scans of the interior of every make & model of ski boots to match to the scans of the feet...that would really be something interesting.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
With the sales that are going on around here (Summit County, CO) you could pay for a plane ticket and shuttle on the savings AND get a knowledgeable bootfitter putting you in the right boot and the right size. Its crazy how low '17 models sell for (50% off) and the shop I work at has '16 models, too, for 70% off.
That sounds great until you have to keep flying out for adjustments throughout the season! That's awesome for those with unlimited resources but spendy for the rest of us.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
That sounds great until you have to keep flying out for adjustments throughout the season!

So you have to fly to ski country in Colorado two...three times a season....I am sorry but what is the problem? Honey, my boots hurt..I gotta go to Colorado..again. Didn't you have to go last week? Well, yeah, they hurt again. Hmmmm, there is a storm hitting Summit county this week too... Is there???

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Just jumping on to what everyone has said. It's a lot tougher if you can't easily visit a reputable boot fitter, that's for sure. And it's notable that a store that sells boots isn't necessarily a boot fitter, and just because there's one boot fitter at a store doesn't mean everyone at that store is a good boot fitter. You want an actual name - a particular person.

I think for people who don't ski a ton, a correctly fit ski boot is alarming. I like to describe my toe fit as being the same as when your sibling hovers a finger over your skin, chanting, "I'm not tooooouching you!" I want to just barely graze the front of my boot liner when standing in it (after packing out), and pull back just a hair from that when flexed. But it took me a long time to get there. You'd think that too big would be better than too small, but too big can lead to toe bang (lost toenails) and difficulty controlling your skis. The wider my skis get, the more I notice if my boots aren't fit correctly.

It's astonishing how snug your boot can be - IF it's fit correctly.

Agreed with Phil that footbeds make a big difference. Custom footbeds are expensive, but even $40 Superfeet are an improvement over the stock footbeds, which are worthless.

I think being very particular about socks pays off. I wear ski socks with no padding, and I have four pairs of the same exact model to keep it consistent.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Good, supportive footbeds are a MUST, and never buy the bigger boot ;) A nice, comfy, bigger boot will quickly become sloppy and then become uncomfortable in its own right.

Boot fitting can be quite the journey, for sure. Especially for those of us who have feet/ankles that are outside the "norm".

jack97

Out on the slopes
Skier
So yes they took the liner out of the shell and had me put my foot forward and measured the space behind. Can't remember if both guys did this with both feet though

Any decent place should have measured the shell fit for both feet, If not, then do your self with the finger test for each foot. BTW, cool vid of fitter stretching the length of the boot. hmm.... any ski related vid is cool right now :/

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Did I forget the tongue in cheek emoticon? ogsmile
I actually do have to go a distance for bootfitting. There are none in Oceanside! I know the pain of having to take days off work and book overnight lodging for boot adjustments! I tried one in LA but that didn't work out for me. Next boots, it's traveling 7 hours to Mammoth again! You Colorado folks are just spoiled. ;)

@Philpug if I call my boss "Honey," I'll get fired for sure!

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
and never buy the bigger boot ;)

Of course, you can go the wrong way with this. I bought a too-short boot with the idea that one could "always" stretch it more. It turns out there are limits.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
That certainly applies for the lower two buckles. The third (ankle) buckle can serve to hold the ankle and heel in place as well as modulate the flex of the boot to some degree. The modulation comes from the cuff's ability to move forward depending on how much play there is between the upper and the lower.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Bottom buckles guide the foot, the top buckles do hold the foot

Sponsor

Staff online