• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Blister Gear founder Jonathan survived a serious crash

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Before we get into this, please, for the love of all things skiing, don't let this become a crazy helmet thread. Please and thank you!

Jonathan Ellsworth, the founder of Blister Gear Review took a serious tumble last week. Here is the story from their Facebook page.

Reminder: If you are biking, skiing, climbing or boating this weekend, bring -- and wear -- your helmet. Blister founder, Jonathan Ellsworth, was on a ski tour this past Sunday in Colorado, fell while climbing, and got taken for a very serious ride. This is his helmet. Without it, we don’t believe he’d be alive. It was a bad crash, and he has suffered a broken neck. But his brain is okay.

After regaining consciousness - and after the quick work and help of his friends - he was able to make the hike down out of Independence Pass under his own power, then refuse the ambulance ride (mostly because he is a proud and willful fool). None of that would have been true if he wasn’t wearing a helmet. We'll be talking more about Jonathan's crash soon. At the moment, he is ok — he’s in a neck brace, he has no neurological damage, he is walking, talking, writing reviews, and still getting angry when our reviewers forget to use the Oxford comma. His neck is still being assessed to see what the next steps are, but we are optimistic about a full recovery.

Please be safe out there, friends, and please don’t leave your helmet at home.
Screen Shot 2017-07-15 at 6.26.23 AM.png

#notjustanotherhelmet

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Wow! Glad he made it back, and hope he will have a fully recovery.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
One of the interesting things I find in this story is that he fell while climbing. Most of my friends who hike to ski tend to have their helmet clipped on their pack during the hike. :huh:

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
They may not climb anything serious.

I also wear my helmet if i climb a steep couloir, where if i fall i can seriously get hurt.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
They may not climb anything serious.

I also wear my helmet if i climb a steep couloir, where if i fall i can seriously get hurt.

Yeah, for sure it depends on a lot. Stuff above you can fall, too.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Glad he is OK.
He is my favorite ski reviewer. Our opinion on skis aligns pretty well.

Muleski

Inactive
Yeah, for sure it depends on a lot. Stuff above you can fall, too.

I was remembering the tragic fall and death of Spencer Nelson, a CU Buffs ski racer. He was climbing with a group on Maroon Peaks, in Aspen. Was hit in the head by a falling rock, fell something like 6-700 feet to his death. The summer after his freshman year. His dad was part of the group. They were experienced.

Spencer was wearing a helmet. Freak accident. Still so sad to think about.,

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
He was skiing on or near Fourth of July Bowl at Independence Pass in CO.

He's an acquaintance, and was skiing with some mutual friends.

Thanks, I was curious about where they were. I just skied Indy Pass for the first time (very briefly) this past June, still trying to figure out the lay of the land, but I do know where that is.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks, I was curious about where they were. I just skied Indy Pass for the first time (very briefly) this past June, still trying to figure out the lay of the land, but I do know where that is.

For others, it's west of the pass, south of the highway.

udailey

Browsing Garage sale and eBay
Skier
A bit of the story here but follow the link to listen to the hour plus podcast.
This is the first paragraph from Blister Review's article : "Nine days ago on the 9th of July (which, happens to be my birthday) I went out with six of my good friends on a ski tour on Independence Pass in Colorado. But what started as a fun day in the mountains with friends turned into something much darker. There was a bad accident, and I am very fortunate to be alive. But I am not exactly okay. I suffered a broken neck while tomahawking — unconscious — down a scree and boulder field."

Here is the link: Blister

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Thank you for sharing. Listening to the podcast is highly recommended, as Jonathan and crew go through the ordeal for the public's benefit. In his words:

Second, any time there is an incident in the backcountry, it is imperative to go over the details of what happened. And so this podcast is a conversation with 5 of the 7 of us who were out on Independence Pass that day. It is the first time we have all been together to talk as a group, and to debrief. And our major hope is that you will take away some lessons that may keep you and your friends safer in the backcountry.

One of the most interesting points is the idea that, when it's hot and sunny and you are wearing shorts, your perception of risk is very different. We all tend to feel safer and underestimate risk. Even though, frankly, the snow can be sticky, grabby, tricky, and there are exposed rocks all over the place, particularly at the end of the patches.

Hoping for a full, quick recovery for Jonathan. Go get them, buddy.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@udailey Thanks for posting the follow up. I knew that there'd be more to the story after Jonathan collected himself.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
This is really good. Thank you for sharing, I'll be passing it along to lots of folks.

Really hits home as I've had a few of the exact sort of outings (summer, lines that feel relatively safe, friends, smiles) this summer in similar terrain.

udailey

Browsing Garage sale and eBay
Skier
Surgery was successful. His response to someone's concern "Thanks, Dean. Writing this from my hospital room the morning after the surgery. Everything appears to have gone flawlessly."

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
Good Luck to you Jonathan may you have a good recovery. We are sometimes very fragile. Having lost two ski friends to severe crashes sand survived one myself - life is fleeting at times.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
All the best for your recovery Jonathan.

And while it is on no urgent list when you're well on the way to recovery you might consider editing your podcasts into a 30 minute version of the story to enable a wider audience and learning. I downloaded and tried to listen to part 1 but found it impenetrably long.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
All the best for your recovery Jonathan.

And while it is on no urgent list when you're well on the way to recovery you might consider editing your podcasts into a 30 minute version of the story to enable a wider audience and learning. I downloaded and tried to listen to part 1 but found it impenetrably long.
Or three thirty minute segments so someone can listen to sections.
I tend to listen to stuff like this while I'm driving, which is rarely more than a 30-40 minute drive when I'm alone or running errands.

Sponsor

Staff online