• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Bike thieves suck!

albertanskigirl

aka Sabrina
Skier
From a post on FB. 85 bikes were stolen in the last 2 weeks in Calgary. This lady got hers back.

On another note had anyone used a bike registry?

Mine was one of the ones stolen then :(

and that was from a locked bike room! both SO's bike and mine were stolen. our bikes were locked to each other with one kryptonite, and to a bike rack with a second kryptonite.

i still haven't gotten a replacement. this has sadly been the summer of no bike. im in nobikeland right now.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

and that was from a locked bike room! both SO's bike and mine were stolen. our bikes were locked to each other with one kryptonite, and to a bike rack with a second kryptonite.

i still haven't gotten a replacement. this has sadly been the summer of no bike. im in nobikeland right now.
That stinks. :(

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
From a post on FB. 85 bikes were stolen in the last 2 weeks in Calgary. This lady got hers back.

On another note had anyone used a bike registry?
In the news this morning -
Reno Police and UNR Police offer free bike registration.
Turns out, many bikes that are stolen never make their way back to their owner, even if their found by police, because bike owners don't keep records with SN's or take the time to register their bikes.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
We've had a rash of bikes stolen from the 2 train stations in town. As I was walking to the train this morning I looked at all the bikes locked up and many of them had very poor locks on them. A lock is a lock but I feel some of these people are just a little too trusting of people. Even with a heavy duty lock someone can still get to your bike but I'd feel better with a high end lock at least. I just don't trust people. I have 2 heavy duty locks on the full sized spare on the back of my Jeep, We've also had a rash of car break ins around town. Thieves just simply suck.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Truckee Police Arrest 4 in Bike Theft Ring

Mostly stolen bikes off of bike racks on cars, with cable style locks. :eek:
That's balls.

It's always been the case that an experienced bike thief can get a bike off a car in less than five minutes, unfortunately. Probably a lot less. Bolt cutters for cable locks. I don't run errands when my nice bike is on my car - straight to and from the trail. If I stop for lunch, I park where I can see the bike. It's a huge pain. I'll be camping with my bike for the first time this weekend, and haven't decided how to handle that. Brand new, expensive bike that everyone recognizes. I'll probably put the bike inside the car and drape it when I can't be there ...

That sucks every which way. You would think you could trust a locked bike room ... but then again, I can see why it would be an attractive target.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Tyler Pugliese had a bike stolen out of his car a few years ago. Car was locked up and parked on the street. Someone broke the window and took the bike. Because he lives in the Bay Area, his primary form of transportation is a bike.
Bike Thieves Suck!

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I seem to see a correlation between an increase in bike thefts, and the opioid epidemic. Wonder if there really IS a correlation?

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I seem to see a correlation between an increase in bike thefts, and the opioid epidemic. Wonder if there really IS a correlation?
Ok then, it's a good thing that all we steal to support our potentially life threatening addiction is a few runs prior to purchasing an afternoon ticket or a few runs after the day ticket expires:nono:

albertanskigirl

aka Sabrina
Skier

in our case, we suspect it's someone who works with a contractor that was doing repairs on multiple buildings hit by the thief/thieves. For our bike room, it not only had to be someone who had an outside key or could get in from the outside, but who also came with the code for the bike room and had cutters ready to steal...that required some planning. Police are investigating.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Don't want to get too political, but I wonder if the Chris Anthony thieves were homeless people? I do a lot of road tripping around North America and the number of homeless on every corner of every city (large and small) is sad, scary, troubling, and overwhelming, all at the same time.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The ability to sell stuff so easily online via various methods anymore definitely contributes to this. I think about that a lot when I'm looking to buy AND sell. Not sure what can be done about it. This situation is hideous because of the destruction of property that occurred along with the thefts.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Don't want to get too political, but I wonder if the Chris Anthony thieves were homeless people? I do a lot of road tripping around North America and the number of homeless on every corner of every city (large and small) is sad, scary, troubling, and overwhelming, all at the same time.
Over the past couple years…both my daughters bikes were stolen in Burlington while students at UVM….they live(d) on College Ave, and as told to them….most likely were stolen by the unhoused down the street by the old YMCA.

Both bikes were “Dick’s Sporting Goods specials”….so not real expensive, but a few hundred bucks, and they did use them to get back forth from campus…..so it was disappointing to have to worry about that in a city like Burlington, VT.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Over the past couple years…both my daughters bikes were stolen in Burlington while students at UVM….they live(d) on College Ave, and as told to them….most likely were stolen by the unhoused down the street by the old YMCA.

Both bikes were “Dick’s Sporting Goods specials”….so not real expensive, but a few hundred bucks, and they did use them to get back forth from campus…..so it was disappointing to have to worry about that in a city like Burlington, VT.
Bike theft is so bad in BVT that The NY Times did a big report on it last year. BVT has truly become a festering shit hole.

Anyone else using Apple AirTags to track their bikes (and cars). Take mine and I might come and take it back.

Reactions: BC.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Bike theft is so bad in BVT that The NY Times did a big report on it last year. BVT has truly become a festering shit hole.

Anyone else using Apple AirTags to track their bikes (and cars). Take mine and I might come and take it back.
Yep…my buddy is BFD/ his firehouse is right downtown….he has quite the stories of what’s going on up there.

Car break ins are the “new” big issue off campus…kids are afraid to have their cars up there when they are gone for the weekend at away games/meets.

Bike theft has become the least of their worries.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January