• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Snowfan

aka Eric Nelson
Skier
Cauliflower rice and veggies...yum. I had to stop eating what I liked and start eating what was healthy. After awhile, sugar tastes like crap and garlic, cauliflower, broccoli and more tastes wonderful. Eat what comes from the earth, not what comes in a box. Be a tough MOFO and just do it. Todays lunch for two...
20171112_112407.jpg

wyowindrunner

Getting off the lift
Skier
It's not about having a perfect body - it's about enjoying the ride.

You betcha! Just don't want my ride to limit the available destinations. Don't get me wrong- I eat everything. Love all the stuff that Snowfan is eating above- got a freezer full of Otis (The steer that got butchered this fall). We grow a lot of veggies- built a green house last year. And I will tear up a bag of chocolate chip cookies. The wife just put a pie in the oven- but I skinned up Fred's mountain at Targhee today so not worried about it.

Work out like never before.

And I think this goes right back to the OP's question. Just gotta go for more.

Snowfan

aka Eric Nelson
Skier
You betcha! Just don't want my ride to limit the available destinations. Don't get me wrong- I eat everything. Love all the stuff that Snowfan is eating above- got a freezer full of Otis (The steer that got butchered this fall). We grow a lot of veggies- built a green house last year. And I will tear up a bag of chocolate chip cookies. The wife just put a pie in the oven- but I skinned up Fred's mountain at Targhee today so not worried about it.

And I think this goes right back to the OP's question. Just gotta go for more.

Great nic...I used to live in Lander, WY in the wyowindriverrange

Varmintmist

Bear, with furnture.
Skier
You betcha! Just don't want my ride to limit the available destinations. Don't get me wrong- I eat everything. Love all the stuff that Snowfan is eating above- got a freezer full of Otis (The steer that got butchered this fall).
You are twice the vegetarian. You eat recycled vegetables. Recycled through beef the best kind.

BoofHead

Getting on the lift
Skier
I dropped 30+ lbs in 3 months last year. My 2cents worth.
NUTRITION
5 meals per day.
Protein rich diet but still included essential fat and good carbs.
Eat foods that are located on the walls and don't shop in the aisles.
lots of water.

WORKOUTS
Change workouts every month. Last month was a cutting phase so cardio was increased
Weights and some cardio.
Don't skip leg days. They are your biggest muscle group

I did plateau from time to time and was often hangry in the first few weeks as I de-toxed and my body wanted crappy carbs ie sugar loaded processed food.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
I've lost 40 pounds over the past 8 years. A healthy sign I suppose, I blame it on my birthday. I've had too many.
My wife and I eat vegetarian, as we have for the past ... ahh.. err... 40 years. No particular reason, it just makes sense not to have "muscle chemicals of dying beasts" as a significant part of the diet.

Back, to the weight issue. A professional career in science with all it's stress must have been the reason for my 6 foot frame to bump in at 100kg. (well, 215# was the greatest observed mass ;-)

Now I bump the scales at 162# or so (depending;-). Those are pre 30 yo numbers for me. ( I got my growth lateer than most of my peers. i.e. I wrestled 103 in high school)

I feel good, I will ski four days this week starting tomorrow. and I don't work out at all. Occasionally, I do jump to conclusions or fly off the handle. do those count?

;-))

Last edited:

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Actually, anchovies and kale aren't even the last food I seek. Thanks to the wonderful offerings of our western society, I have NEVER had to eat anchovy and kale salad! I'm sure if I were starving, I'd love it. But not for health reasons. Or for the taste... I'm not going to dinner with @Blue Streak - unless I'm cooking.

Aspartame is naturally occurring in one of my favorite foods, asparagus. Do I have to give up asparagus too? Diet Coke has saved my life several times. It is my go to stimulant on long drives or flights. We drive around our babies to get them to sleep. Driving (piloting) is soporific for me - that warm comfortable seat, the gentle vibrations, (the altitude if I'm flying)and I'm getting sleepy just thinking of it. Coffee makes me pee too much so Diet Coke it is. Mix in a little sprite for a dollop of pure sugar so I don't get weird insulin crashes (and I like the twist of lemon) and I've survived many travels. Still OK physically.

The naproxen I use a lot is a somewhat toxic drug. But the health benefits of being able to be active despite bad genetic arthritis far outweigh the toxicity. Too narrow a focus can unbalance our lives.

It's not about having a perfect body - it's about enjoying the ride.

Eric

speaking of KALE salad

There is a WONDERFUL cold kale salad that is worthy of being the main dish. Yes, It is that good!

"Massaged" leaf kale
Feta cheese
cherry tomato
garlic,olive oil, mustard, mint,and lemon

Way good! And good for you. King Kale! Hail the King! ;-)

eta I don't eat kale because it's good for me, I eat it because it tastes good. Kale was in the lentil soup tonight! ;-)

Last edited:

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Kale
white beans
diced tomatoes
ground turkey sausage
Italian spice to taste
cook to perfection
My son's recipe

Yes, I can enjoy kale. Good for digestive inefficiency. Morning regular routine might take a bit longer. But never anchovies!

Eric

PS Surprised we don't have more blood donors on the bandwagon here. Check it out for your own good and because it's just right.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Blood donors?

A pint is a pound the world around, But I can't see that as a useful weight control mechanism. I mean, if I wanted to obsess with a single pound, I could imagine more palatable means other than blood letting. ;-)

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Kale recipes?!? I want to know how to keep myself from stealing our kids Halloween candy after they go to bed?

This time of year is tough. We normally don't have crap in the house, so no self-control necessary.

Then comes Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, Valentines Day, and then finally Easter. Nonstop crappy food around for 5 months making weight control tough.

@SnowCountry a month long business trip and you maintained your weight? You have done awesome!

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yup kale and white bean soup with some sausage, carrot, celery, and maybe potatoes. What the hell add some tomato. Traditionally add a hambone.

I've been eating a lot of rice and beans. I use chicken but can' resist a little andouille or chorice.

In ovenproof saucepan saute onion garlic, chicken and spices. Add a cup of rice and cook with saute for 2 minutes. Add can of rinsed cooked beans and three cups of water or stock. Cover and bake in oven at 400 for about 40 minutes.

TS
SnowCountry

SnowCountry

Booting up
Skier
Kale recipes?!? I want to know how to keep myself from stealing our kids Halloween candy after they go to bed?

This time of year is tough. We normally don't have crap in the house, so no self-control necessary.

Then comes Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, Valentines Day, and then finally Easter. Nonstop crappy food around for 5 months making weight control tough.

@SnowCountry a month long business trip and you maintained your weight? You have done awesome!

It was not easy losing weight while on a business trip. I worked out daily at the fitness center in the hotel (which was small), and found one restaurant (BJ's Restaurant) that had a nice low calorie menu, and ate there every night. It was hard avoiding BJ's famous pizza and pints, but they have a great low calorie menu.

Last couple weeks have been a struggle. I'll work through it too but the holidays are coming up and that's going to be extra hard.

Focus, focus, focus.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Trying to stick to my "one pop per day unless I'm getting higher than average exercise" plan. So far no major gains and seem to be dropping a little bit.

TS
SnowCountry

SnowCountry

Booting up
Skier
OK, I have some good news!

I now weigh 5 pounds more than I did a year ago. This is down from 15-20, so that's a nice improvement.

More importantly, I outgrew my snowpants last year and couldn't put them on correctly (I had to leave the top buttons unbuttoned while skiing which was annoying). Now I (just barely) fit back into those same snowpants. So while I'm 5 pounds heavier, my waist line is down.

I'll keep going and hopefully can drop those 5 pounds by New Years, and my waistline will keep slimming down.

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier