• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rio

Putting on skis
Skier
Next storm is arriving tonight:

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 2 AM FRIDAY TO 2 AM MST
SATURDAY ABOVE 5000 FEET...

* WHAT...Snow expected. Total snow accumulations of 2 to 4 inches
are expected, with 4 to 8 inches falling at higher elevations.

* WHERE...Cascade, Madison, Judith Basin, Meagher and Gallatin.

* WHEN...From 2 AM Friday to 2 AM MST Saturday.

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
A whole inch fell last night, but with wind loading that should be enough to sweeten the mix.

TonyPlush

Out on the slopes
Skier
I am loving a lot of what I hear about Big Sky. My big question: is it ever going to get "discovered"? By that I mean held in the same esteem as Alta/Snowbird/Jackson/Mammoth and see increased visitors? For such a large resort with a crazy breadth of terrain, everything from groomer heaven to chutes and couloirs as steep as they get in-bounds, I am surprised that it doesn't see more visitors :doh:. I am totally ignorant about why this might be the case, some thoughts: location, marketing, snowfall (typically not as high as LCC or Jackson)?
I won't make my first visit to Big Sky until next year, but I too am amazed at how under the radar the mountain seems to be. I can't speak for everyone, but here's why I wrote it off for too long, and I think these are similar reasons that most skiers have never been:
  • It's in Montana. Which means everyone assumes it's hard to get to. I was pretty surprised to learn BZN had direct flights from MSP and DFW.
  • Even with the direct flights, your Midwestern or Texan tourist is looking at airfare at least double the price of flying into DEN or SLC.
  • Lack of a "resort town." I could care less about this, but most of the casual vacationers I know choose their mountains based on the bars and shops at the base, rather than how the mountain skis.
  • Snowfall - although all reports say it skis above its numbers, Big Sky just doesn't have the sexy powder numbers of an Alta/Snowbird/Jackson Hole.
  • Trail Map: up until the addition of Moonlight Basin, I admit I ignorantly wrote the trail map off as mostly expert only goods with a couple of greens mixed in. The addition of the Moonlight Basin area definitely gave the trail map a wow factor, and had me looking into things a lot more.
All that being said, I couldn't be more pumped to finally check it out, and frankly, I hope Big Sky never really does get "discovered" in the way so many other resorts have. The lack of crowds are a huge appeal to me, and I feel like enough mountains have been overrun by the zoo of crowds, lift lines, and $14 slices of pizza, that I'm really rooting for Big Sky to stay under the radar as long as possible.

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
  • Snowfall - although all reports say it skis above its numbers, Big Sky just doesn't have the sexy powder numbers of an Alta/Snowbird/Jackson Hole.
  • Trail Map: up until the addition of Moonlight Basin, I admit I ignorantly wrote the trail map off as mostly expert only goods with a couple of greens mixed in. The addition of the Moonlight Basin area definitely gave the trail map a wow factor, and had me looking into things a lot more.

I give Big Sky credit for their snow report accuracy, when an inch falls they don't stretch the measurements. Since Lone Peak does stand alone it is prone to wind which moves snow around to keep things fresh in a good year. The Big Sky average snow fall of 400 inches is enough for a good ski season.

While the addition of Moonlight Basin and Spanish Peaks did add more intermediate and beginner terrain, the "Head Waters" terrain at Moonlight did expand the expert terrain. Big Sky actually has a lot of terrain for any type of skier and places to to "kick it up a notch" with fairly gentle glades and short steep chutes.

avantskier

Booting up
Skier
Looks like the mountain has been getting solid consistent snow since the weekend...any local beta on conditions?

Last edited:

avantskier

Booting up
Skier
LooaL like the mountain has been getting solid consistent snow since the weekend...any local beta on conditions?

Rio

Putting on skis
Skier
Big Sky got a foot of snow mid-mountain over the past 5 days. A friend went Saturday because numerous chutes that haven't been open the past couple seasons are open this year. Unfortunately for him, everything high was on wind-hold all day so he was stuck on the lower mountain which he said was soft but a bit heavy. He also commented about how great the coverage was everywhere they skied.

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
The "heavy" snow may be the result of the warm temperatures and freezing rain that fell for a little while on Saturday and for a couple of hours on Sunday.

SShore

Resident Curmudgeon
Skier
It has been really warm for several weeks. Hovering around or above freezing almost every day. I heard some people complaining on Sunday about the snow being sticky, but I thought it was great, soft and creamy. My guess is they were on rentals that hadn't been waxed in a while.

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
It has been really warm for several weeks. Hovering around or above freezing almost every day. I heard some people complaining on Sunday about the snow being sticky, but I thought it was great, soft and creamy. My guess is they were on rentals that hadn't been waxed in a while.

The dermabrasion from the freezing rain on Sunday afternoon wasn't pleasant, but the snow was fantastic but I waxed my skis recently.

Rio

Putting on skis
Skier
I skied with my friend Sunday on somewhat heavy snow by local standards (Tahoe powder) at Bridger. He said the snow at Big Sky was a little heavier so I think it was similar to front side Tahoe powder like you get at Sugar Bowl or Mt. Hood or Crystal. Its all relative and considering conditions out west this year the fact that the coverage was great and the snow was soft, my friend (who is visiting from out of state) was very happy.

Rio

Putting on skis
Skier
Crazy year here. Next storm coming in tomorrow:

From 5:00pm MST, Thu Feb 8 until 5:00pm MST, Fri Feb 9

Action Recommended: Make preparations per the instructions
Issued by: Great Falls - MT, US, National Weather Service,

...WINTER STORM WATCH NOW IN EFFECT FROM THURSDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH FRIDAY AFTERNOON... * WHAT...HEAVY SNOW POSSIBLE. TOTAL SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF 2 TO 5 INCHES AT LOWER ELEVATIONS AND 6 TO 10 INCHES IN THE MOUNTAINS. * WHERE...CENTRAL AND SOUTHERN LEWIS AND CLARK, JEFFERSON, BROADWATER, MEAGHER AND GALLATIN. * WHEN...FROM THURSDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH FRIDAY AFTERNOON. * ADDITIONAL DETAILS...PLAN ON DIFFICULT TRAVEL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING DURING THE EVENING COMMUTE ON THURSDAY. SIGNIFICANT REDUCTIONS IN VISIBILITY ARE POSSIBLE. PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... A WINTER STORM WATCH MEANS THERE IS POTENTIAL FOR SIGNIFICANT SNOW, SLEET OR ICE ACCUMULATIONS THAT MAY IMPACT TRAVEL. CONTINUE TO MONITOR THE LATEST FORECASTS.

SShore

Resident Curmudgeon
Skier
Let's hope it moves west just a little so Big Sky is in the center of it. That report looks better for Bridger than Big Sky.

avantskier

Booting up
Skier
Big sky update and mini - TR: 2/9/18-2/11/18

just back from 3 days at the big. Fri and sat, snowing all day...depending on where you were on the mountain, snow depths from 4-8+". Back side of lone peak was mint! Boot deep pow+ on marx, lenin, and all their other dictator cronies...liberty bowl was very nice as well. Big couloir was a big scratchy first few turns, but then real soft with decent pow. North summit snowfield was scratchy/super hard pack, and the only way out was great falls, which was equally meh in terms of snow. below that through the trees was superb...actually all gladed runs that i went on were amazing, with great snow.

First time here, and I had a great time...a trip for the memory books. I would be hard pressed to find better skiing in the US right now with few exceptions IMHO.

Didnt take many pictures but here are a few...

Friday morning looking up Lone Peak from Andesite.

IMG_20180209_101111-EFFECTS.jpg

The woods between ramcharger and thunderwolf chairs were mint that morning. I think on Friday I experienced no less than 5 different weather events, from bluebird, to dumping, to windy as F, to light snow and sun, to cloudy and c-c-c-c-cold

Ended the day on Friday with a Yeti dog...highly recommend!

IMG_20180209_154708.jpg

Saturday our group did the first tracks guided experience. Although pricey, definitely worth it alone for lift priority along with following behind someone with serious knowledge of the mountain. I dont think I wouldve done the Couloir or snowfield had I not been with the guide.

View up the mountain from the madison base after skiing 4000 vert: snowfield -> great falls -> unknown glades (untracked turns the whole way down through some tight trees) - these glades were incredible!
IMG_20180210_115234.jpg

View into the bowl from the top of the tram. Lines were from 45 min - 1hr+...so happy we had the guide as we did 5 laps of the tram on sat and never had to wait!

IMG_20180210_130001.jpg

My buddy and I after skiing the Big Couloir:

IMG_20180210_133330.jpg

They had a bluegrass festival this weekend. Great times and great music!

IMG_20180210_154216.jpg

This place is HUGE, and three days is not enough, but I got a great sampling of what the mountain(s) have to offer. Overall, I highly recommend, especially this year when the lower rockies are pretty low on pow...Looks like some snow potentially coming this weekend.

@mods, if this isnt the right place, feel free to move to the TR section

Attachments

• IMG_20180210_154216.jpg
    IMG_20180210_154216.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
Avantskier glad BS delivered for you and you didn't have to wait in those tram lines. Who did you have as a guide?

avantskier

Booting up
Skier
Definitely delivered...Tim Mitchell was my guide...great guy, and I think the ratio of guiding to instruction was great...no going on and on about PSIA blah blah, just a few pointers here and there.

milkman

Getting on the lift
Skier
I've skied about 55 days, starting around December 10. I have not missed a day due to weather or snow conditions and I've enjoyed every day this season. Sure there are Good - Better and Best days. There are glades, steeps and groomers facing North, South, East and almost West. There are groomers and glades above 8,500 feet and below 7,500. There is something for everyone at Big Sky but it's a BIG mountain. A 90 minute Tour from the Mountain Hosts will save most newcomers hours of searching for the "RIGHT" run for them.
One last thought on how to get around here. We ski almost 300 degrees around three different named mountains. A flat ski map on paper or on a computer screen can be confusing and even misleading to the uninitiated.
Big Grass Festival (bluegrass) this week was a lot of fun. I met folks from as far away as Australia who always schedule their ski trip to coincide with Big Grass.
I agree with several posters, airfares can be high and you need to shop early and carefully to find the best fares. My family buys about 10 multi stop round trips from mid america each year so I'm familiar with the problem. Flexibility in your days of travel can save a lot.

James

Out There
Instructor
Wait, what?? I thought BS was known for a lack of crowds?
That's the Tram. Which is tiny btw. I bet the Challenger lift line was maybe 5min if that. Or the Moonlight Basin lift to the chutes.
Still, that's long.

avantskier

Booting up
Skier
James is right..the tram was pretty much the only line at the mountain. 15 people at a time so it can get backed up... outside of a 5 min wait after the lunch crowd got back on the mountain...i didnt wait in any other line the whole weekend...i was amazed as to how few people were on the mountain...heard that typical skier count is around 8k on weekends.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online