• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Beyond epic! Sustaining PugSki into the Future!

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Thanks for reminder, Scotskier :thumb:

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
I think it's great.- not really a merger ... but, everyone who cares will be in one place. That's easier for lurkers like me.

I think it's sad overall, but it is what is and we have no control. We'll make the best out of the situation. So there is the flip side you mentioned, those who were comfy here and there don't need to split. There are downsided as well, if it wasn't clear from the dynamics during the last couple weeks.

But I am confident we will come out stronger.

And, to the main topic of this thread, hopefully this place can generate enough on the financial side to be sustainable.

Now, let me get ready for some skiing tomorrow :pug:

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
An On the snow page comes up now. At least it says "EpicSki was closed down May 12 2017" Signed: The Mountain News Team.
Hope this stays up so random visitors can have some very slight idea what happened.

Page is dated Tues May 9, 2017, WTF sense does that make ? ?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
An On the snow page comes up now. At least it says "EpicSki was closed down May 12 2017" Signed: The Mountain News Team.
Hope this stays up so random visitors can have some very slight idea what happened.

Page is dated Tues May 9, 2017, WTF sense does that make ? ?
Not uncommon. They had it written on 5/9...just did not change the date. We had the the Vail Buys Stowe announcment in November and the Epic Clsoing one done in early April.

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The EpicSki Forum was closed May 12, 2017. We know this is a disappointment for many users and that some wanted us to transfer the forum’s content to another provider. Unfortunately, a number of operational, legal and other considerations made selling or giving the archive to anyone else too challenging.

Your passionate, thoughtful posts, guides and photos have been inspirational to the community. We will miss the conversation and appreciate your participation and input on EpicSki.com over the years.

Best regards,

The Mountain News Team

There were a lot of options that could've saved the site if they really cared. Another community bites the dust. Also to mods, wish you guys could've left the other thread open for a couple hours so folks could grieve.

TS
ScotsSkier

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I got the last post in

Claimin dibs

Pretty sure @ScotsSkier killed the thread killer thread but I was too busy with Patsy

A
very appropriate final post perhaps my favorite song ever

Timing is everything Don't tell SMJ (or is it Steve now?). He is already sticking pins in a wooden image of me.... ouch, there it goes again....:roflmao: :beercheer:

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Timing is everything Don't tell SMJ (or is it Steve now?). He is already sticking pins in a wooden image of me.... ouch, there it goes again....:roflmao: :beercheer:
Actually, that is Leo (@Mendieta ). Its an ancient secret Argentinean defense art taught by Los Hermanos de Buenos Nieves. He's hoping to beat you down the hill today. And he knew there was only one way . . .

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Well, I find SMJ a valued participant. I think you can disagree about a topic without deciding that someone's got it in for you. Over time with repeated clashes, maybe, but one dust-up or two should be nothing. And I'm hoping that if people find themselves taking issue with another member and not finding any value from them they'd use the ignore button.

TonyC

Contact me at bestsnow.net
Pass Pulled
Well, I find SMJ a valued participant. I think you can disagree about a topic without deciding that someone's got it in for you. Over time with repeated clashes, maybe, but one dust-up or two should be nothing. And I'm hoping that if people find themselves taking issue with another member and not finding any value from them they'd use the ignore button.
+1

And one lesson I've learned is that ongoing public :snowball: can reach the point that they distract users as well as escalate bad feelings among the participants. So when in doubt, take a dispute offline via PM or e-mail. This applies also to moderation IMHO. People should be warned by PM or e-mail before being banned, restricted or "Xenforo discouraged" from this site.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@TonyC because it is our general practice to moderate via PM, no one knows what has been moderated or how the conversations have gone in the few times we've had to moderate here on Pugski.
The harsh reality is, we've dealt with more post reports and moderation issues in the past few weeks than we've had to deal with in the past 1 1/2 years.
We feel that its because emotions have been running high and hope that the dust will settle and the members will learn the general tone of this site. For that, we need the members who've enjoyed the vibe to continue doing what they're doing and set the bar.

While we have a few silly forum areas to blow off steam, like Chez Ziggy and the Shotzski Lounge, we will not lower the bar for excellent ski industry discussion.
We won't be creating a plethora of rules as happened on EpicSki over the years to single out individual situations. We'll keep it simple and just ask that everyone refrain from being an ass.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I was particularly impressed with receiving a PM from a moderator informing me that an individual had been temporarily banned, due to a pattern of "unfriendly" posts including one to a post I had made. Then I received a follow up PM to advise the individual was reinstated after coming to an understanding. I appreciate being kept in the loop, in private, without making it a public scene. In this case the approach worked and everyone involved all got along.

So, you're doing something right, keep it up and I hope it gets easier.

PS. Did anyone notice my correct use of the contraction "you're"? Not that I'm going to be the grammar and spelling police, but you've been warned......

TS
ScotsSkier

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

Hmm, I'll spare you being embarrassed Sib. Suffice to say, I struggle to understand why someone would want to slag off the site so much yet still expect to participate....:doh: I have given him the benefit of assuming he just completely lost the place when Epic closed....:beercheer:

I am not in the least bit worried about someone having it in for me, I am more than capable of sorting out stuff like that.... :)... And you may of course have missed the emoticon where I was poking a bit of fun..... :huh:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We will not get into specific moderation actions. We try to take each situation on a case by case basis. Sometimes it spills in the public (which we would prefer not, but happens). Sometimes we question ourselves if we did the right thing. If we include another member in the action it is because there was a direct cause and effect. We brought on two new Moderators, @T-Square and @Mendieta is because of T's experience and Mend's fresh eyes to the commuity. As @Tricia mentioned, we have had more moderation issues in the past two weeks than in the previous 18 months. A good amount is members trying to figure out if this is the site for them or not.

Sponsor

Staff online