• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

green26

Putting on skis
Skier
No music while skiing. I love being disconnected whenever I can be. Good stuff posted above though - thanks for the tips!

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Me...am a classic rock person.

Have custom mounted the speakers from Sennheiser PX-100 II headphones into my Smith Varian Brim helmet that I drive from a SanDisk Sansa Clip+ MP3 player. Listen occasionally while on lifts, particularly when solo. Even when solo on lifts, most of the time I prefer no music so I can think. Only ski with music playing infrequently when slopes are not crowded on groomed or easy powder. In other words any slopes where the turn radius does not matter. But on advanced slopes, regular music rhythms are not going to synchronize to the timing of the vast variety of terrain shapes. Thus if one is used to moving to music beats, that will interfere with precise turning as terrain dictates.

As for music while skiing, I must admit to being rather ignorant of most popular music that has come out the last couple decades plus. And am not familiar with current era big name artists or their music. Oh I recognize artist names because they are in general news headlines but that is all. In any case I do enjoy other music genres than just rock music but only dance to rock. So I'll ski to classic rock that I'll also dance to. And I won't dance to all rock music I enjoy listening to but rather music with a strong consistent rhythm that is often hard rock. For instance Hey Joe by Hendrix.

Wolfski

Getting on the lift
Skier
No music for me when I ski as there's enough natural sound for me to enjoy, I also like to hear what's going on around me.
I'll occasionally will listen while on the bike paths and I'm amazed at the number of people who have no clue as to whats going on around them with their ear buds in
Hate those bluetooth speakers being blasted on the mountain but I do like them in the backyard

Carl Kuck

Ambassador of Stoke
Skier
OK, let me clarify something. NO headphones, ear buds, Bluetooth helmets, etc. I'm strictly a radio-in-my-head kind of skier. Like listening to the soundtrack to "The Falcon and The Snowman" to get this stuck on the radio in my head before a morning of good smooth fast and high-edge-angle cruising (after warming up, of course...)

shaka.PNG

Doby Man

Out on the slopes
Skier
I also ski with music. I tend to listen to music that has a rhythm that is compatible with the turn size that is also suitable to the terrain. However, while I do allow the undulations of the slope to dictate many or most of my movements, I do not let it dictate my turn rhythm. Once I choose a turn rhythm for the slope ahead, I maintain that rhythm throughout. Skiing to music has helped me to master this aspect of putting control of rhythm in my hands and removing any influence on rhythm that terrain undulation may have. While I may break that rhythm to make a fall line adjustment, I will return to that same rhythm until I complete the turn series I am on. For music that has a rhythm or beat that is much faster than the turns I am making such as three beats per one turn, I still maintain my turn timing with “every third beat”. Conversely, three turns per beat: same thing. This way, I am not “tied” to lining things up exactly while maintaining timing with music. When I ski without music, I can see the resonant benefits that were developed. When racers are forced to ski to the rhythm of gate position, their skill allows them to maintain this rhythm regardless of slope undulation. In this light skiing to music and maintaining a set rhythm is sort of analogous to running gates. This ability of separation of rhythm and "terrain change influences" stems from good separation of the upper and lower body. Therefore, skiing with music can benefit the separation required to maintain rhythm. Separation is key and worth any hack at it you can get.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I definitely don't ski with music as much as I used to. I can't have my earbuds dangling from my helmet while I"m teaching even if I'm not using them so taking them on and off is a pain so half the time I'm on the chair when not working and I go damn, forgot the earbuds.............. I'm definitely considering some blue tooth ear buds so I can just keep them in the mesh ear part of my helmet, That way I can just keep them there and just turn them on when I want tunes.

Scrundy

I like beer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Mostly old Floyd and old Moody Blues for me. Bluetooth in helmet,so momma can reach me anytime. But this I try to get going at top of run.

HDSkiing

You’re Sliding On-Snow; Don’t Over-Think it!
Skier
I tend to jam out to classic rock, The Beatles, and Bob Dylan while I’m driving up the mountain. Then I listen to whatever someone is playing in the Locker Room, seems like its mostly Country Western, unless you go into the SnowBoard room and then it just sounds like noise:) (JK).

Beyond that I’ve never actually listened to music while skiing. I have the type of helmet that has the bud inserts and maybe one day I’ll try them. Music tends to make my mind drift off (not a bad thing sometimes) and I’m typically thinking about technique, or strategy if it’s more challenging terrain/conditions or (gasp) subconsciously doing an MA on everyone I see (sometimes wondering if I can replicate what they’re doing so well).

For those sometimes long solitary chair lift rides though, music might be nice.

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
Very pop oriented but this has a nice flow to it. I can imaging mixing up little jukes into the soft snow on the sides and then swinging back to a full carve. It's all about the flow state...

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
If you are just out for a cruise on a beautiful no stress bluebird day... enjoying being alive, doing what you love. I am so lucky...

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
Turn it up...
What?
I SAID TURN IT UP!!!

And screw all those punks who were "brought here" by Guardians of the Galaxy!:roflmao:
:daffy:

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
An interesting update to what I posted on page 8 post #165 before this season began. For decades as noted I've occasionally been playing music while on groomed slopes or in powder but not if in difficult terrain, especially bumps that I ski the most because the latter terrain is extremely variable turn to turn. And as many noted that was because it disrupted my focus on terrain because as a long time freestyle rock dancer, I'm used to synchronizing body movement especially my feet to that music.

Early season late November unplanned, surprisingly skied some top to bottom non-stop easy bump runs smoothly listening to rock. Wow was thinking, how did I do that? It seems now am able to at least some times separate the beat from turning and just feed off the powerful inspirational energy. That noted it is also true that sometimes my bump skiing suffers even without playing music when mind wanders causing lack of focus and if so music will only make it worse. Have 13 days in now and on a recent day when I was locked in, skied non-stop smoothly at least a dozen 200 to 300 feet verticals down sizeable moguls with half no music and the other half playing both hard rock and rock ballads. So now I've somehow changed from my early years.

After that given all my free time now in retirement now haha, in November waiting for snow that didn't fall till late, reworked my classic rock music for locally resident mp3 play only that I legally recorded for personal use with the audacity app off youtube videos. Also grabbed metadata from wikipedia with all tracks on a comprehensive Excel spreadsheet including lyrics. Over 200 tracks and here are the top 12 of 58 groups on my player with group counts of numbers of track for:

17 The Rolling Stones
12 AC/DC
11 Aerosmith
9 Def Leppard
9 Led Zeppelin
9 Scorpions
8 Cream
8 Heart
7 Foreigner
7 Neil Young
7 The Doors
6 The Who