• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Gear BD Deploy 3 Avy Shovel

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I have an REI dividend burning a hole in my pocket. One thing that I really need to do is replace my avy shovel. Does anyone have experience with the BD Deploy 3 Avy Shovel? The local REI doesn't have it in stock so I'd like to get some feedback before I make a purchase. Everything about it looks solid to me but seeing isn't the same as handling.

https://www.rei.com/product/874104/black-diamond-deploy-3-snow-shovel

Mothertucker

Sweep Dodger
Skier
I think the only drawback is the light weight.:P I have fondled, but not used one, good design and solid, but small. Consider the 7, you would want your partner to have a bigger blade.

TS
Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Thanks, @Mothertucker . I'm not certain a bigger blade is necessarily better. Snow that has avalanched is pretty dense. Careful shoveling is also not advised; fast displacement of the snow down hill from the victim is. I purposely am considering the 3 instead of the 7 for the smaller blade. Mostly because I don't think larger is necessarily better for snow removal. You can move more snow per shovelful, but as simply shoveling around my house has proven, you will wear out faster with fewer bigger scoops than more smaller scoops. Kind of like trying to grind up a hill on a bike in a high gear vs. spinning up it. Typically spinning is going to be faster. I also like the size of the shovel for how it ought to fit in my pack.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've played with older Deploys and they had sort of a short handle for my tastes. YMMV, but it might be worth checking out. OTOH, REI's return policy is still pretty good.

Mothertucker

Sweep Dodger
Skier
You are right, and many now say that hoe style shovels are best for victim extrication, hope we never need to find out. If you are not doing a lot of shelter building and pits then maybe the 3 is best for you. I would like to check out the shaxe style shovel with the built in axe in the handle, I like it when gear has multiple uses. Brooks Range makes shovels with serrated teeth on the leading edge for hardpack.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Brooks Range makes shovels with serrated teeth on the leading edge for hardpack.

Heh. A friend has a Brooks Range shovel, and the blade on that thing is HUGE - he finally decided it was too big to carry and got something smaller, so it's probably a good idea to check that.

TS
Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Thanks guys, this is exactly the kind of dialog I was looking for. The shaxe is interesting, but I haven't needed an axe since leaving New England. Size is also of concern to me. I don't want things that protrude or otherwise bulk up my pack as I ski a lot of trees and anything that can catch on a limb, will, eventually.

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I own the Deploy 3. Bought it for the same reasons you're considering it. I have no real world experience with it, thankfully. But it did work well when I took a avy 1 course. It does move a lot of snow quickly.

Sponsor