• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Basic affordable Men's Shell ?

TS
M

murphysf

Ski Well, Be Well.
Skier
as @pais alto mentioned, REI's guide to rainwear care is excellent:

https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/rainwear-dwr.html

The only thing I do differently is that I don't steam iron - I just toss in the dryer. This seems to work well for Gore-Tex and other waterproof breathables.

It's a fine balance between washing to get dirt off and overwashing your gear: if your gear has dirt, oil etc all over it, this will diminish its performance. You also don't want to be washing a waterproof item every week. My general guideline is that it goes in the wash once the dirt attracting areas - ie cuffs, neck line, zipper, pockets - are gross to look at.

with regards to @murphysf : these look pretty good to me:

https://www.steepandcheap.com/patag...KYWNrZXRzICYgQ29hdHM6MTo3OnNhY0NhdDExMDAwNA==

patagonia waterproofing is pretty good, and it has pit zips! would probably work well with something like a thermoball or nanopuff when it's chillier

https://www.steepandcheap.com/the-n...KYWNrZXRzICYgQ29hdHM6MToxNDpzYWNDYXQxMTAwMDQ=

this link above is the men's version of what I have, TNF venture - totally awesome. these have adjustable cuffs (great for over gloves) and pitzips! and only $55! one of the other reasons I like this jacket is that it has the most heavy duty zippers for this price range, and you can definitely do them up wth gloves :)

it looks like there are TONS of options on steep and cheap that are under $100! have fun!

BoofHead

Getting on the lift
Skier
Have a look at sportpursuit.com
Clearance house for some top brands. I don't know what shipping to the US would be but I've just ordered a hard shell and tech polo shirt , approx $12 shipping to Australia

I've been using a NorthFace Venture rain shell for a couple of years. 3 ski trips to Japan, ski touring in Oz, club field skiing in NZ. A very good rain jacket suitable for skiing.
It's still going strong but for $53 I couldn't resist grabbing one of these
https://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/product/view/id/1110575

Last edited:

L&AirC

PSIA Instructor and USSA Coach
Skier
I'm not going to post about which shells but which features.

Pit zips. If they don't have them, walk away.

Inside pockets. There aren't any shells with too many pockets. If you find one, let me know so I can buy it.

There should be at least 4 exterior pockets (2 hand and 2 chest). On the sleeve is a bonus.

Some sort of hook to clip a pass to. Preferably on the sleeve or around the waist.

Helmet compatible hood.

I prefer 3 layer but if you don't have to ski when the weather absolutely sucks, a 2 layer will get you through.

Good gear isn't inexpensive but usually come with a very good warranty and will last a very long time. Inexpensive jackets tend to need replacement before you expect it. 2 cheap ones or 1 expensive; which one cost less?

Fishbowl

A Parallel Universe
Skier
Maybe this should be it's own thread, so I won't go into too much detail, but clothing is rarely the only factor, or the cure, for overheating. Of much greater importance are the steps you take to avoid generating too much heat in the first place. This includes your car temp, where you put your boots on, how much gear you carry to the lifts, what you wear in the lodge, and how much effort your skiing takes. Just to say, don't pin solving all your overheating problems on a shell.

BoofHead

Getting on the lift
Skier
13B43EAD-5931-4CCD-B5E5-F52406536AF9.jpeg
Have a look at sportpursuit.com
Clearance house for some top brands. I don't know what shipping to the US would be but I've just ordered a hard shell and tech polo shirt , approx $12 shipping to Australia

for $53 I couldn't resist grabbing one of these
https://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/product/view/id/1110575

I recieved my shell jacket this week. International delivery takes awhile due to their business model. An outstanding shell for $43us. I may grab another one.

LuliTheYounger

I'm just here to bother my mom
Skier
My daughter and I both own the Marmot Precip (not for skiing). I wouldn't use it for skiing (except for maybe very warm, spring days). It's very light and thin. When I wear it in the rain, it gets very cold feeling, even though it's not wet on the inside. Does Lands End make any shells? They used to make good quality outerwear, but I have no idea if they still do.

Hang on a minute, ma - I have skied in that jacket.

It is pretty thin, but it's fine as long as you stack a few layers under it. I think I usually had an old fleece, thick flannel, + thermal shirt on? If you're in Tahoe, not skiing in rough weather any time soon, and not planning on doing a great deal of snow angels, I think you'd probably be fine in a Precip.

Mickey

Booting up
Skier
I'm not going to post about which shells but which features.

Pit zips. If they don't have them, walk away.

Inside pockets. There aren't any shells with too many pockets. If you find one, let me know so I can buy it.

There should be at least 4 exterior pockets (2 hand and 2 chest). On the sleeve is a bonus.

Some sort of hook to clip a pass to. Preferably on the sleeve or around the waist.

Helmet compatible hood.

I prefer 3 layer but if you don't have to ski when the weather absolutely sucks, a 2 layer will get you through.

Good gear isn't inexpensive but usually come with a very good warranty and will last a very long time. Inexpensive jackets tend to need replacement before you expect it. 2 cheap ones or 1 expensive; which one cost less?

I totally agree with all but one point.....

I don't like or use hoods. Why must every shell have a hood? Not all insulated jackets have hoods. How about manufacturers offering a few models with a detachable hood? I can count the number of shells I've seen lately without a hood on one thumb.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
There are so many barely used coats on Ebay right now.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hang on a minute, ma - I have skied in that jacket.

It is pretty thin, but it's fine as long as you stack a few layers under it. I think I usually had an old fleece, thick flannel, + thermal shirt on? If you're in Tahoe, not skiing in rough weather any time soon, and not planning on doing a great deal of snow angels, I think you'd probably be fine in a Precip.
Yes, you have. But I said I wouldn't use it for skiing (except maybe on a very warm spring day). I wouldn't want it as my ONLY shell for skiing. I now own almost as many ski jackets as I do running shoes. JK. :)

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Hello

I am the person who posted about two weeks ago about being too warm with my bib.

Many mentioned the fact that I was wearing an insulated jacket without venting and recommended a shell.

I am looking around for shells and see that many are well above $100 and close to and over $200.

Looking for recommendations for a basic affordable shell.

Saw these with removable liners. I would remove the liner and jsut use it as a shell.

Ideas , opinions?

Any other suggestions of brands or online web stores to check?

https://www.levelninesports.com/white-sierra-men-s-4-in-1-jacket

https://www.levelninesports.com/white-sierra-three-reasons-men-s-jacket

https://www.levelninesports.com/marmot-precip-men-s-jacket-2016

the use would be skiing with my kids at tahoe

Go to cycling websites and look at brands like Showers Pass. You should be able to get a very windproof PU shell for under $150, with decent zippers and decent pockets. As a bonus they will be more water resistant than the Marmot.

I've had PU cycling jackets down to -25C with scouring winds, with expedition level fleece beneath.

Alternatively, you can look for 3-season Goretex at swaps. They won't be warmer than PU when layered, but they will be much more breathable and much more comfortable next to the skin and much more tear resistant.

Last edited:

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
Marmot PreCip is first rate junk, don't buy it. If you are on a very tight budget, buy used, there are plenty of gearheads who sell barely used high quality gear for half or a third of the price. I would not go for anything less than a 2-or 3-later GoreTex or equivalent fabrics (eVent, Neoshell, DryQElite). Again, a used GoreTex jacket in good condition will be much better than a new cheap PU coated jacket like PreCip. PU coated fabrics will be too cold on a chair and too hot for when you ski down.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Marmot PreCip is first rate junk, don't buy it. If you are on a very tight budget, buy used, there are plenty of gearheads who sell barely used high quality gear for half or a third of the price. I would not go for anything less than a 2-or 3-later GoreTex or equivalent fabrics (eVent, Neoshell, DryQElite). Again, a used GoreTex jacket in good condition will be much better than a new cheap PU coated jacket like PreCip. PU coated fabrics will be too cold on a chair and too hot for when you ski down.
I agree, and that's what I said to the OP at the beginning of this thread. But then my daughter, pictured above in the white Precip jacket, remembered that she had skied in it and been fine. She has a ski jacket, so I don't know why she was wearing the Precip. She was also skiing old junior skis and boots that she'd had since she was 13. She was 18 in the picture. One of the things I love about my daughter, she is mostly happy with what she has!

DonC

Squeezing into my stabilyx tights
Skier
True... I skied in (and on) worse gear than Marmot Precip. Does not mean it's a great idea:)

The difference between what people do versus should ski in is often quite dramatic. Witness the ever popular jeans+NY Rangers/Giants hoodie combo on the east coast. A Precip would be a big step up from that.

In any case, If I was buying a jacket (or any other softgoods) today, what I would usually do is look for a 25% off STP code (PM me if you need one) and see what's available that is compatible with the discount (or already on clearance), in my size and in my price range. A quick look shows there's plenty under $200.

https://www.sierratradingpost.com/a...kets~d~2274/?page=1&overrideSort=HighestPrice

If maximum breathablity is your concern these catch my eye for what's on the lower end of the price spectrum:

https://www.sierratradingpost.com/s.../?filterString=mens-snowsport-jackets~d~2274/
https://www.sierratradingpost.com/m.../?filterString=mens-snowsport-jackets~d~2274/

If you don't want an air-permeable jacket and are set on gore-tex these look good:
https://www.sierratradingpost.com/t.../?filterString=mens-snowsport-jackets~d~2274/
https://www.sierratradingpost.com/r.../?filterString=mens-snowsport-jackets~d~2274/

And if you want to spend less than$100 there are a bunch of Mountain Hardwear DryQ core shells that will meet your needs.
https://www.sierratradingpost.com/mens-snowsport-jackets~d~2274/mountain-hardwear~b~13530/

There's also a dryQ elite jacket at the top of those resultswhich is really nice at that price, but all that's left is weird sizes.

TS
M

murphysf

Ski Well, Be Well.
Skier
HI

I was just at Costco today and they had an O'Neill Sector (yes the surfing wetsuit company) Costco item number 1165545 men's ski snow jacket shell with pit zips for $50. I was in a hurry so I grabbed one, figuring I could return it if I decide on something else.

The Jacket has some weird flaps with buttons on the inside ends, and a flap across the entire lower area, not sure what this is for perhaps its to attach to ski pants?

Anyone familiar with this jacket.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
HI

I was just at Costco today and they had an O'Neill Sector (yes the surfing wetsuit company) Costco item number 1165545 men's ski snow jacket shell with pit zips for $50. I was in a hurry so I grabbed one, figuring I could return it if I decide on something else.

The Jacket has some weird flaps with buttons on the inside ends, and a flap across the entire lower area, not sure what this is for perhaps its to attach to ski pants?

Anyone familiar with this jacket.

Not familiar w the jacket, but intimately familiar w Costco. Lots of people who are in a place where they don't know what they don't know designing and buying gear.

That brand identity was likely used under a licensing agreement, and is not a native product.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Everyone way, way, way over thinks jackets. Here's how this works: chances are that you are purchasing a jacket with a proprietary membrane / liner. As consolidation has occurred on the factory side the number of factories has shrunk. Add to that most all brands of membranes / liners have a certification process for factories.

What this means is that many brands come out of the same factory, same production line, same inbound and outbound QA processes.

It boils down to aesthetics and price. There is no magic here.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
What this means is that many brands come out of the same factory, same production line, same inbound and outbound QA processes.

This is true of many products. When I worked at HP designing printers, we visited the local paper factory (since we wanted to know more about paper and also wanted to get out of the office). At the end of the paper production process, they wrap 500 sheets of paper into a package for sale. The EXACT SAME PAPER was going into packages for Xerox brand, HP brand, Office Depot, Cannon, etc.... Some of it was labeled with words like "Formulated for Laser Printers" or "Best used in Inkjet Printers". The exact same paper off of the same production run....