• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Basic affordable Men's Shell ?

murphysf

Ski Well, Be Well.
Skier
Hello

I am the person who posted about two weeks ago about being too warm with my bib.

Many mentioned the fact that I was wearing an insulated jacket without venting and recommended a shell.

I am looking around for shells and see that many are well above $100 and close to and over $200.

Looking for recommendations for a basic affordable shell.

Saw these with removable liners. I would remove the liner and jsut use it as a shell.

Ideas , opinions?

Any other suggestions of brands or online web stores to check?

https://www.levelninesports.com/white-sierra-men-s-4-in-1-jacket

https://www.levelninesports.com/white-sierra-three-reasons-men-s-jacket

https://www.levelninesports.com/marmot-precip-men-s-jacket-2016

the use would be skiing with my kids at tahoe

Magi

Instructor
Instructor
The Marmot jacket is the only one that might be worth buying. (Neither of the White sierra jackets has a waterproof membrane, and the 3in1 has insulation that you can't remove).

A membrane layer is important because DWR coatings wear off *real* fast,and without them (or in heavy weather) you'll be soaked. The membrane layer in the Marmot jacket should perform adequately for light skiing, and even when the DWR coating rubs off you'll only lose some breathability instead of getting soaked. You'll have to periodically refurbish the waterproof layer on any jacket you get because of the switch to more environmentally friendly (And sadly less durable) coatings in textiles over the last few years.

Before I could recommend a jacket, I'd really want to know the following:

How many days/year do you ski?
How many days in a row do you ski?
Do you ski in snowfall, especially wet/heavy snow?
Do you ski much in wet spring conditions?
How rough is the terrain you ski?
How often are you sitting in snow?​

Personally - I won't buy a waterproof layer if it doesn't meet the following criteria:
  1. Has a Membrane Layer rated to 20,000mm + <- Marmot is 10k
  2. Fully taped/sealed seams <- Marmot has this
  3. Fully waterproof zippers (not just covered) <- the marmot fails this test
  4. Lifetime warranty or stupidly cheap. <-marmot fails both of these
  5. ~Zero insulation
  6. Great venting
  7. Good pockets <- marmot looks lacking
  8. Helmet compatible hood

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My daughter and I both own the Marmot Precip (not for skiing). I wouldn't use it for skiing (except for maybe very warm, spring days). It's very light and thin. When I wear it in the rain, it gets very cold feeling, even though it's not wet on the inside. Does Lands End make any shells? They used to make good quality outerwear, but I have no idea if they still do.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@murphysf :have you been, or can you get to the Patagonia outlet in Santa Cruz? They have some great deals, and it will last you a long time.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Even at an outlet it will be difficult to find anything high end for under $100. Many people do fine in mid range like Columbia, where you can get a decent shell for $100 on sale. Switching from bib to shell alone will give you a lot more ventilation regardless of the brand you choose.

Unless you're buying a new jacket every year, on some wet days you're just gona get soggy. Sure, a brand new $800 pant/jacket setup would keep you dry but you need to compromise. Since you have some time before the winter check out craiglist and ebay. When I sent my jacket in for repair I grabbed an ok used jacket for $40.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
I know nothing about this company, but based the the reviews, something like this should work. And look for an STP coupon before you buy.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I use an Eddie Bauer Weather Edge shell that keeps me dry and they do have outlet stores that have fair prices. One thing I have found is when cleaning the shell do not throw them in the dryer it cuts down on how long it stays waterproof. Because Columbia was talked about earlier, I have had two made by them and one was good but the other was not and it did not keep me dry from day one.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
One thing I have found is when cleaning the shell do not throw them in the dryer it cuts down on how long it stays waterproof.

That idea is not universally accepted by manufacturers:
https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/rainwear-dwr.html

Some mfrs recommend placing clothing in dryers to improve waterproofness.

To the OP, Patagonia is having an online sale right now, and there are some suitable shells there. Also scour Sierra Trading Post, and REI Garage. Skiing in a rain jacket kind of sucks, and I understand wanting to stay under $100 but that's going to require serious sale or discount luck.

Last edited:

oswaldr2

Getting on the lift
Skier
I'd look for something in the 15-25oz range, the Marmot Percip jacket is a rain coat and would easily tear coming in contact with any trees or rocks. If you're looking to save money, maybe look used on ebay.com or geartrade.com and then buy a Nikwax tech-wash to clean it and refresh the waterproofing. You run the risk of size issues and no returns going that route though.

Would probably be best to know your size and some key features that matter to you like helmet compatibility for example so people can provide links to shells that might work.

albertanskigirl

aka Sabrina
Skier
I've used numerous North Face shells for skiing - I find North Face to be a good compromise between effectiveness and price. Steep and Cheap, Sierra Trading Post and Zappos often have deals on them, especially if they are last season's.

In terms of care, I used to work in textile design (many years ago) and I find the best for waterproofing is to wash on a gentle cycle and pop in the dryer afterwards. Every couple of years (or when I notice a leak), I will re-waterproof with a spray-on waterproofing. You can get a can for like $10 at rei. Once it dries completely and fully I toss it in the dryer for a full dry cycle and you're good to go. My North Face Venture shell is 6 years old, gets heavy year-round use, spring skiing, hiking, snowshoeing, just around town wear, and it's still good to go. I got it for $75CAD on sale. This jacket is almost at it's life end though- don't expect to using a fully waterproof jacket for more than 5-7 years through...

albertanskigirl

aka Sabrina
Skier
Oh and my SO has the marmot precip and I wouldn't recommend it. It's very thin, hood doesn't really fit over a helmet and I've had to re-waterproof it every few months. He's had it only for about 3 years and and I finally convinced him to get rid of it a few weeks ago when we were camping in the Tetons and we got caught in a downpour. He got soaked.

MountainMonster

~0~
Skier
good advice from ASG above. I'v read a bunch of bad reviews on the Marmot precip, wetting out .

I have their Minimalist shell,

https://www.marmot.com/men-jackets-...MIwZaxmfje1QIVT2B-Ch0zgABBEAQYASABEgJQZPD_BwE

I have not used it in a downpour, but it works well in the couple of light spring storms Iv used it in.

I'v also found steepandcheap.com to have some very good deals, It's backcountry.com's outlet site, lots of good browsing to be had.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
That idea is not universally accepted by manufacturers:

Some mfrs recommend placing clothing in dryers to improve waterproofness.
What I have found is that the tape on the seams comes undone if they spend too much time in the dryer. It also should be said that the shell was 15 years old at the time. Most of the time I would line dry it and only recently would put it in the dryer when the tapes started to come off.

albertanskigirl

aka Sabrina
Skier
as @pais alto mentioned, REI's guide to rainwear care is excellent:

The only thing I do differently is that I don't steam iron - I just toss in the dryer. This seems to work well for Gore-Tex and other waterproof breathables.

It's a fine balance between washing to get dirt off and overwashing your gear: if your gear has dirt, oil etc all over it, this will diminish its performance. You also don't want to be washing a waterproof item every week. My general guideline is that it goes in the wash once the dirt attracting areas - ie cuffs, neck line, zipper, pockets - are gross to look at.

with regards to @murphysf : these look pretty good to me:

https://www.steepandcheap.com/patag...KYWNrZXRzICYgQ29hdHM6MTo3OnNhY0NhdDExMDAwNA==

patagonia waterproofing is pretty good, and it has pit zips! would probably work well with something like a thermoball or nanopuff when it's chillier

https://www.steepandcheap.com/the-n...KYWNrZXRzICYgQ29hdHM6MToxNDpzYWNDYXQxMTAwMDQ=

this link above is the men's version of what I have, TNF venture - totally awesome. these have adjustable cuffs (great for over gloves) and pitzips! and only $55! one of the other reasons I like this jacket is that it has the most heavy duty zippers for this price range, and you can definitely do them up wth gloves :)

it looks like there are TONS of options on steep and cheap that are under $100! have fun!

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I'm a big fan of used jackets. Being 3 hours from the mountains I sometimes come across stuff in my size that looks like it was used two or three times a couple of years ago. Sometimes last season's model but usually a little or a lot older. Good brands, TNF, Arcteryx, REI, etc.. for $20-$30. You can also find gently used stuff on eBay for 1/3rd of what it sells for new.. but don't get to try it on or feel it to be sure the waterproof coating is still good. I re-treat my stuff about every other year anyway though so no worries there..

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
You can often get goretex paclite shells under $100. I've had a couple from Cabelas when they've been on sale plus a fairly burly shell with their Dryplus membrane for buttons on closeout.

TS
M

murphysf

Ski Well, Be Well.
Skier
Hello Everyone,

Thanks for all the replies. Just catching up was away on a summer vacation and for some reason wasn't notified of all the response, just checked in and saw all the responses.

I'll start by answering Magi's questions.

But just a little about me. I am 51 and haven' skied since the late 80s, I now have a 5 and 7 year old and started up last season. I have skis, boots, and poles. We go to Diamond Peak in Tahoe. Kids are learning and I am with them on the beginners lifts. Due to skiing with kids I don't go out when its snowing or raining, usually go up between Christmas and new years, mid January, Feb (presidents week) and April (Easter). My issue was that I was wearing a bib and an insulated jacket and my upper body was crazy hot, see previous thread. Could be the bib but lots mention a breathable shell hence this thread.
Since posting and reading all the replies I was looking on ebay for a Columbia Omni Tec Bugaboo Interchange shell and found a few for $30-$40.

Here is he followup to Magi's questions:

How many days/year do you ski?

How many days in a row do you ski?
2-3

Do you ski in snowfall, especially wet/heavy snow?
no never skiing with my 5 and 7 year old so won't go out when its snowing

Do you ski much in wet spring conditions?
not sure what wet spring conditions are , last season most of the days at diamond peak tahoe the temps were mid to upper 30s

How rough is the terrain you ski?
mellow beginners runs at diamond peak

How often are you sitting in snow?
never

TS
M

murphysf

Ski Well, Be Well.
Skier
I just saw the
Patagonia Men's Torrentshell Jacket for $64

Sponsor