• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

base cleaner?

Chris Walker

Ullr Is Lord
Skier
Exactly what I posted about above. Used Swix Glide Wax CLEANER for years now and have never looked back.

People......see my links from the post above.

+1

I started using the Swix glide wax cleaner a couple years ago (I think on the advice from @Jacques, actually) and I've phased out hot scraping. This is much easier for me and I haven't had problems with dry or slow-running bases. I wouldn't use the citrus stuff though.

TS
M

murphysf

Ski Well, Be Well.
Skier
The absolutely best thing I have ever used to clean a base. It will not take wax out of the base. It's cleans and conditions.

See THIS VIDEO Swix Glide Wax Cleaner. Then see THIS VIDEO too. Here is one more to view.

I have not hot scraped in years and my skis run very well and the bases are never dry or dried from Swix Glide Wax CLEANER. Don't use a wax REMOVER.
Wow... lots of different contradicting opinions and techniques

I need to pick one and go with it...

how many different brushes will I need 3? 4? 5?

The sets of skis I have, I have no idea what type of wax was ever applied, no idea how often?

so should I start with swix glide wax cleaner?

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
It depends what you actually want to achieve, as there's few options. One, if your ski is fine, just wax with wax of the day. Two, if you were skiing over real bad dirt, not all that common for alpine, but perfectly normal for xc skiing in spring conditions, you something like Swix base cleaner. This drys up the base, so you shouldn't do it unless you reall have to, and you should wax layer or two extra after doing this. And then there's option 3, if you are waxing a lot of fluoro overlays. In this case it's good to use something like Swix wax cleaner, which keep base saturated, but dissolves fluoro remains from previous waxing. If you don't do much of fluoro overlays, and/or your base is not dirty from all the shit environment puts on snow, don't worry about this and just wax. It will be best for your skis to keep base saturated and use cleaners only when really needed.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter

The sets of skis I have, I have no idea what type of wax was ever applied, no idea how often?

Your are correct. Pick a way and got with it. You can fine tune your process as you do more.

I consider myself a budget, recreational ski tuner. I have a steel brush, a stiff nylon brush(horse supply store and the 3m type pads, plus scrapers that I make from good plexi glass. I use Purl wax, because the price point is great and the wax works for me. I get paid to do friends skis with good beer.

I have better tools for edging though. You will get a hundred reason why something is good or bad. This works for my family and I wax our skis every two weeks or so. This year I will splurge and get a good ski brass brush for prewax cleaning.

I have used an old clothes iron for ever and upgraded to dedicated ski wax iron last year. I hope to also purchase a roto brush. They are nice, but admit I like and polishing by hand for my own skis, just because it is therapeutic. :)

As you have learned, we all have many ways to do things. I approach this from a budget/rec person point of view. People always say skiing is expensive. It sure can be, but id doesn't have too be. I don't buy new skis every year and don't have a problem purchasing used. I ski in the Midwest, so my skis need to be tuned for firm snow, not the powder. Racers understand this, they ski on ice. I'm not looking to get an advantage on speed either, so I keep waxing simple.

Enjoy the process and keep willing to learn, but nothing is the true gospel when it comes to skis/wax and tuning.

Dwight

P.S. My opinions are MINE base on MY experience. Keep it fun!

Burton

Getting on the lift
Skier
#1 on Dwight's advice. Keep it simple. To use an analogy, tuning skis is like tuning up a car, and the work involved can range from doing an oil change to prepping a Formula 1 car for a race. Most people just need an oil change. Eventually, when you're underneath the car, you'll start pushing on the belts, wondering if you can change the brake pads, etc., but you don't need to start out doing that. I think many people in this forum have lots of experience tuning skis and their "basic" tuning technique is well beyond an oil change.

Before I get into changing the oil, to answer your original question, don't worry about a base cleaner. You can get most of the crud out brushing and waxing, and unless you're using spendy flouro waxes or chasing fractions of a second in a race course (doesn't sound like you are), they are overkill and can do more harm than good.

Now, onto the basic oil change. Recreation skis benefit from three things: 1) a reasonably flat, clean base, 2) edges that are reasonably sharp and consistent, and 3) wax. Establishing a good base (item 1) is tricky to do when you're new to tuning, and even many expert home tuners would rather not tackle it. The second and third things can be dead simple for a home tuner. My advice is take the skis to a good shop for base grind and have the base edge bevels set. Using a good shop is key--results can vary spectacularly! From that point forward, your job is to maintain the shop tune while doing no harm. Harm that is difficult to undo is applying too much heat to the bases, being super aggressive and careless with edges, and letting the base dry out or oxidize from not waxing frequently enough.

I started out doing edges and wax without even vises. But that's a pain in the ass, so get some vises and mount them on a solid bench. Then get an edge guide and a 100 or 200 grit diamond stone. Regularly touch up the side edges using the edge guide. Use a light touch (pushing hard will distort the angle between the guide and the diamond stone), take your time, and work the whole length of the edge consistently. For the base edge, I have angle guides, but for the most part I eyeball it and only touch the base edge to remove burrs. Congrats, you're now done* with edges!

*Note: as with all things, you can take your edge work to the nth degree, and before too long you'll be pulling sidewall, working your way up to 2000 grit arkansas stones and shaving your face with your park skis, but that's for another day.

Now, waxing. Get a big hunk of universal wax. In all conditions it will be much better than nothing, and will work very well in most conditions. Get ONE stiff nylon brush and a scraper. I started the arc of my home tuning work by crayoning on the wax and then rubbing it in. That's the cheapest way to do it, and it's impossible to harm the base that way. But if you've got a wax iron, great, just be careful about applying too much heat. Start by brushing the ski vigorously, wax, wait till the wax is hard, scrape, and if you're into it, brush again. If you don't brush, or for that matter even scrape, your skis will start out slower, but they'll speed up. All done*! Keep an eye on your bases and repeat waxing regularly. I try not to go more than 3-4 days max on snow without waxing, but mileage may vary.

*Note: if you want to spend hours of your life and your kids' college fund on waxing, good news, the sky's the limit! But the curve tracking return on investment rapidly bends to horizontal.

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier

Just use the Swix Glide Wax Cleaner. It's not just a fluoro cleaner. It cleans and conditions the base to take wax and DOES NOT dry the base one bit. Hot scraping is a thing of the past.

Jacques

Skier
+1

I started using the Swix glide wax cleaner a couple years ago (I think on the advice from @Jacques, actually) and I've phased out hot scraping. This is much easier for me and I haven't had problems with dry or slow-running bases. I wouldn't use the citrus stuff though.

You made the right choice. Congratulations!

Jacques

Skier
As post on page one. This is the way. Listen to this video folks! Listen good.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
We use a citrus cleaner from SVST in the shop. Rarely do we use it on skis. Mostly it is used on boots.

The only reason to use a cleaner on skis is to clean a section of the ski in preparation of bonding something to it. P-tex and epoxy application require a clean surface and if you've waxed the skis between doing the damage and trying to repair it you do need to clean it. But just the area to be bonded.

The reason NOT to use a cleaner on the skis is that you want wax in your ski's base and the cleaner removes it. The dirt that needs to be cleaned off is on the surface and is readily removed by the aforementioned hot wax and hot scrape.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I bought some citrus ski wax remover, I forget whose. Have used it a few times when doing pre-season prep if bases seem really dirty because I don't want dirt to get ironed in even before hot scrapes. As it turns out, it's great for cleaning your diamond stones. Since spring skiing here has been good the last few years, I haven't encountered the dirt problems very often.

TS
M

murphysf

Ski Well, Be Well.
Skier
#1 on Dwight's advice. Keep it simple. To use an analogy, tuning skis is like tuning up a car, and the work involved can range from doing an oil change to prepping a Formula 1 car for a race. Most people just need an oil change. Eventually, when you're underneath the car, you'll start pushing on the belts, wondering if you can change the brake pads, etc., but you don't need to start out doing that. I think many people in this forum have lots of experience tuning skis and their "basic" tuning technique is well beyond an oil change.

Before I get into changing the oil, to answer your original question, don't worry about a base cleaner. You can get most of the crud out brushing and waxing, and unless you're using spendy flouro waxes or chasing fractions of a second in a race course (doesn't sound like you are), they are overkill and can do more harm than good.

Now, onto the basic oil change. Recreation skis benefit from three things: 1) a reasonably flat, clean base, 2) edges that are reasonably sharp and consistent, and 3) wax. Establishing a good base (item 1) is tricky to do when you're new to tuning, and even many expert home tuners would rather not tackle it. The second and third things can be dead simple for a home tuner. My advice is take the skis to a good shop for base grind and have the base edge bevels set. Using a good shop is key--results can vary spectacularly! From that point forward, your job is to maintain the shop tune while doing no harm. Harm that is difficult to undo is applying too much heat to the bases, being super aggressive and careless with edges, and letting the base dry out or oxidize from not waxing frequently enough.

I started out doing edges and wax without even vises. But that's a pain in the ass, so get some vises and mount them on a solid bench. Then get an edge guide and a 100 or 200 grit diamond stone. Regularly touch up the side edges using the edge guide. Use a light touch (pushing hard will distort the angle between the guide and the diamond stone), take your time, and work the whole length of the edge consistently. For the base edge, I have angle guides, but for the most part I eyeball it and only touch the base edge to remove burrs. Congrats, you're now done* with edges!

*Note: as with all things, you can take your edge work to the nth degree, and before too long you'll be pulling sidewall, working your way up to 2000 grit arkansas stones and shaving your face with your park skis, but that's for another day.

Now, waxing. Get a big hunk of universal wax. In all conditions it will be much better than nothing, and will work very well in most conditions. Get ONE stiff nylon brush and a scraper. I started the arc of my home tuning work by crayoning on the wax and then rubbing it in. That's the cheapest way to do it, and it's impossible to harm the base that way. But if you've got a wax iron, great, just be careful about applying too much heat. Start by brushing the ski vigorously, wax, wait till the wax is hard, scrape, and if you're into it, brush again. If you don't brush, or for that matter even scrape, your skis will start out slower, but they'll speed up. All done*! Keep an eye on your bases and repeat waxing regularly. I try not to go more than 3-4 days max on snow without waxing, but mileage may vary.

*Note: if you want to spend hours of your life and your kids' college fund on waxing, good news, the sky's the limit! But the curve tracking return on investment rapidly bends to horizontal.
Thanks! makes good sense

could you recommend (amazon or ebay link) a hunk of universal wax?

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
A bit off topic, but will the SVST citrus cleaner take course dye off of white boots?

I don't know, although, usually the dye gets into the plastic, so I'm dubious. I'll try to remember to test it when I'm in the shop.

I bought some citrus ski wax remover, I forget whose. Have used it a few times when doing pre-season prep if bases seem really dirty because I don't want dirt to get ironed in even before hot scrapes. As it turns out, it's great for cleaning your diamond stones. Since spring skiing here has been good the last few years, I haven't encountered the dirt problems very often.

Good point. I use it for cleaning diamond stones as well. In general I would do hot scrapes before using a cleaner, but I agree that if the base clearly has a film of gunk from spring skiing, I might use it on the bases.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
A bit off topic, but will the SVST citrus cleaner take course dye off of white boots?

This is WAY out of scope, but there's a product that I had in the shop and for kicks tried to get dye out of my ancient orange coaching boots.

3M Adhesive Remover. I use it on cars, boats, bikes, etc. Worked like a charm. Also removed old Sharpie like a champ. I washed the boots with Simple Green, then water as the the 3M is pretty strong.

I but it via Amazon Prime. Comes as an an adhesive or liquid.

Jacques

Skier
I don't know, although, usually the dye gets into the plastic, so I'm dubious. I'll try to remember to test it when I'm in the shop.

Good point. I use it for cleaning diamond stones as well. In general I would do hot scrapes before using a cleaner, but I agree that if the base clearly has a film of gunk from spring skiing, I might use it on the bases.

Might? In this case Swix Glide Wax Cleaner would have done the trick as well. See THIS VIDEO. Really, would you hot scrape this too clean?https://youtu.be/9U5Ibjt7GiA