• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

base cleaner?

murphysf

Ski Well, Be Well.
Skier
Hello

Am a newbie and about to start waxing my and my families skis.

I wanted to know if a household citrus cleaner / degreaser from home depot is a good choice for a base cleaner?

Are these ok or is there something else to consider? I am just getting started so wanted to know if there is an alternate to buying specialized cleaners marketed just for the ski industry.

The concentrated gallon for $11 makes 16 gallons.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/ZEP-24-oz-Heavy-Duty-Citrus-Degreaser-ZUCIT24CA/203804192

http://www.homedepot.com/p/ZEP-128-oz-Heavy-Duty-Citrus-Degreaser-ZUCIT128CA/203804190

TS
M

murphysf

Ski Well, Be Well.
Skier
thanks, I am learning, there seems to be so many different techniques and opinions out there

this is where I got the idea for the citrus cleaner

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Hello

Am a newbie and about to start waxing my and my families skis.

I wanted to know if a household citrus cleaner / degreaser from home depot is a good choice for a base cleaner?

Are these ok or is there something else to consider? I am just getting started so wanted to know if there is an alternate to buying specialized cleaners marketed just for the ski industry.

The concentrated gallon for $11 makes 16 gallons.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/ZEP-24-oz-Heavy-Duty-Citrus-Degreaser-ZUCIT24CA/203804192

http://www.homedepot.com/p/ZEP-128-oz-Heavy-Duty-Citrus-Degreaser-ZUCIT128CA/203804190

Well, there are many opinions. I use Simple Green or Citrus equivalent on my skis. But it is more to remove the dirt, not necessarily the wax. If ski is bad, hot wax and hot scrape works very well.

razie

Sir Shiftsalot
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
NO.

really, you don't need that. the one thing you could do is to use alcohol and wipe the base, the medicinal type for external use.

after that, use a warm yellow wax and hot scrape.

the only time I use base cleaner (and special base cleaner, not orange stuff) is once, when i get a new pair or when the base needs repair. It is also great for cleaning the diamond files.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
When they say yellow wax, they mean very warm weather/soft wax.

Cleaners dry out the bases, so that is also why people say no. The more you clean with wax, the more the bases will absorb the wax.

Last edited:

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I am not too happy with commercially available degreasers. They tends to leave some residuals behind. The residual may affect wax absorption/adhesion.

As @razie noted, I used wax remover prior to base repair. After that I wipe down with alcohol and hot scrape.

I like to hot scrape with Swix BP88/99. Got a bunch cheap few seasons back. The skis seems to hold wax better/longer with the base prep wax.

TS
M

murphysf

Ski Well, Be Well.
Skier
NO.

really, you don't need that. the one thing you could do is to use alcohol and wipe the base, the medicinal type for external use.

after that, use a warm yellow wax and hot scrape.

the only time I use base cleaner (and special base cleaner, not orange stuff) is once, when i get a new pair or when the base needs repair. It is also great for cleaning the diamond files.

So a big bottle of alcohol from costco??

TS
M

murphysf

Ski Well, Be Well.
Skier
ok if someone could please outline the steps I should do it would be greatly appreciated

I have several pairs of skis, (mine, wife's, kids) and noting have been done in the last couple of years.

Should I wipe the bases with alcohol, hot scrape with yellow wax to clean them and then put on a storage wax? any buffing on brushing? and then the steps I need to do once the season starts and I am ready to go skiing.

or a link to a webiste that is comprehensive!

Thanks

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
One thing I really like having that doesn't seem to be standard is isopropyl alcohol in a lab irrigation bottle
(like this -- http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/it...MInYr45bK11gIVl1qGCh2qbgBSEAQYAiABEgJnJfD_BwE)
68072p.jpg

Wax is pretty much insoluable in alcohol, so it is not going to do anything to embedded dirt. But it is handy for wetting down to wipe off residual powdered metal from filing or stoning or whatever, and iso dries a lot faster than water.

BGreen

Out on the slopes
Skier
I always wipe down the skis with Swix wax remover after a stone grind. You can search YouTube, Starthaus and Artech both have good tuning videos. Otherwise use a damp paper towel to wipe off any dust or dirt on the base, hot scape a couple times with a very soft wax or base prep wax (flood the base, don’t be stingey), then wax with a medium wax or base prep wax as you travel wax. You want something that is a little hard but won’t chip. That’s it, you’re done. When you are ready to ski scrape and brush and wax with the correct wax for the conditions.

razie

Sir Shiftsalot
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
ok if someone could please outline the steps I should do it would be greatly appreciated

I have several pairs of skis, (mine, wife's, kids) and noting have been done in the last couple of years.

Should I wipe the bases with alcohol, hot scrape with yellow wax to clean them and then put on a storage wax? any buffing on brushing? and then the steps I need to do once the season starts and I am ready to go skiing.

or a link to a webiste that is comprehensive!

Thanks

Since nothing was done to the skis for a while, you should start by taking them to a good shop and get a base grind - this will restore the base and edges to good status and then you can start with the below.

You're not racing, so here's a simplified process that would keep the skis nice and gliding consistently.

Wipe the base with alcohol. It will dry instantly.
Brush it with a brass or soft steel brush that you only use for cleaning.
Wipe with a rag
Hot wax with yellow warm wax and do a couple passes until you leave a long trail of molten wax. Scrape it right away while it's still molten/hot. This will pull the crap out of the base. Do it again. Let the ski cool and brush with a brass brush you only use for wax.
Then wax with a good all purpose all temperature wax.
Let it cool for at least 30 min - preferably a few hours... or a few months if no snow.
Scrape it off and brush with the brass brush you use for wax.
Done - well, waxing wise. You did sharpen the edges before, of course.

Careful when at Costco - not the russian-made alcohol - that's for internal use, after waxing the skis ;)

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
I only use base cleaner after completing dirty spring skiing, the rest of the time it's hot scrape with BP88 or softer wax.

PTskier

Been goin' downhill for years....
Pass Pulled
Everything Razie shows in posting #14 is certainly the right way to do it. I don't do all that. Melt in a universal wax, re-melt it and immediately while it's still molten wipe it off with a paper towel. Clean job. Quick & easy. A few thousandths of a second is lost out of the start gate...but I'm not racing. They may be sticky the first 10 feet or so the first morning, but after that they slide just fine. I used to scrape & brush, but the biggest difference I noticed was the mess I made on my bench.

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
The absolutely best thing I have ever used to clean a base. It will not take wax out of the base. It's cleans and conditions.

See THIS VIDEO Swix Glide Wax Cleaner. Then see THIS VIDEO too. Here is one more to view.

I have not hot scraped in years and my skis run very well and the bases are never dry or dried from Swix Glide Wax CLEANER. Don't use a wax REMOVER.

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
If you must...
This is the one used by good shops. Not cheap.
Swix Glide Wax Cleaner.

http://www.artechski.com/swix-fluoro-glide-wax-cleaner-liquid-500-ml/

I don't know anyone who does this everytime, but this Swix tech says, 5 yrs ago, they don't hot scrape anymore. They use the glidewax cleaner. He's talking nordic skis.

Exactly what I posted about above. Used Swix Glide Wax CLEANER for years now and have never looked back.

People......see my links from the post above.