• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

ATLSkier

Putting on skis
Skier
I've noticed the last few times I've been out that the balls of my feet get really sore and tired late in the day. I went to Surefoot, and they built me an expensive insole, and it helped a little, but I sill had soreness/tiredness in the BOF area at the end of the day. (Only one day on the new insoles though). Any recommendations for how to address this? In case it's relevant, I have Nordica Nrgy boots that are about 3 years old.

TS
ATLSkier

ATLSkier

Putting on skis
Skier
BTW, I should add that I do not otherwise have any foot issues. I have a normal arch, and no excessive pronation or supination. I am a distance runner and run in neutral running shoes with typical cushioning. Even after long runs I don't have any issues with the balls of my feet. The problem I'm having with my ski boots is probably something I've always had, but I've really noticed it the last few trips.

TS
ATLSkier

ATLSkier

Putting on skis
Skier
Look up the symptoms of Morton's Neuroma and see if that matches what you are experiencing.
Thanks for the reference. I looked at the symptoms for that, and it's not really what I'm feeling. I've got a soreness/tiredness across my whole foot and not localized. (Sometimes I do feel in my right foot as if I am standing on a fold in my socks, but not often, and not in my left foot).

MRT

Putting on skis
Masterfit Bootfitter
Industry Insider
A lack of dorsiflexion can cause you problem, the forward lean of the boot will push the knee forward and the met heads downward continually if your dorsiflexion

is limited

Have you had your ability to dorsiflex assessed?

Mike

Bootfitter / Cped.

TS
ATLSkier

ATLSkier

Putting on skis
Skier
A lack of dorsiflexion can cause you problem, the forward lean of the boot will push the knee forward and the met heads downward continually if your dorsiflexion

is limited

Have you had your ability to dorsiflex assessed?

Mike

Bootfitter / Cped.
I haven't, but will check that out.

TS
ATLSkier

ATLSkier

Putting on skis
Skier
Sounds like something I had years ago. I also felt like my feet were burning. Heel lifts solved it. I still get some pain if I spend a day skiing in the bumps.
Interesting that heel lifts solved your problem because that would seem to put more pressure on your forefoot. I'll check it out though.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Have you changed anything besides the new Surefoot Insert?(Maybe a new binding with a different angle) About how many days on the boots? Could they be packed out and not supporting the foot as well?

TS
ATLSkier

ATLSkier

Putting on skis
Skier
Have you changed anything besides the new Surefoot Insert?(Maybe a new binding with a different angle) About how many days on the boots? Could they be packed out and not supporting the foot as well?

Same binding. Boots are 3 or 4 years old, but I only ski 10-12 days a year, so they shouldn't be too packed out. I'm very interested in the dorsiflexion issue. That could be it, and I'm going to focus on some mobility issues and maybe a heel lift.

Jilly, do you know how big a heel lift then put in for you?

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
Older boot liner as they pack out can require buckle tightening. I had a pain in the ball of the foot on the heel side in a particular spot. It turned out to be the start of a nerve being compressed by the boot, which can lead to serious issues. The solution was a raised spot on a custom foot bed that slightly spread the phalanges that were starting to compress the nerve. The "standing on a sock fold" was what it felt like. I do have Morton's foot so custom foot beds are the norm for me for distance running and hiking.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Well, I went looking, I know I saw them just a couple of weeks ago....can't find them. OK, I don't think they were anymore than 3/8" high at the back. Hard foam. Got them from Jeannie Thoren, so it was a looooong time ago!!

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
I get pain/aches in the bottom of the feet after I ski icy bumps. I assume it's because I'm clinching my feet muscles for dear life in the icy conditions.

Perhaps the situation is a similar dynamic - does the difficulty of terrain or conditions have an impact? Wish I knew what to do about my situation other than getting better/more relaxed at icy moguls and not clinching so much in those situations.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I get pain/aches in the bottom of the feet after I ski icy bumps. I assume it's because I'm clinching my feet muscles for dear life in the icy conditions.

Perhaps the situation is a similar dynamic - does the difficulty of terrain or conditions have an impact? Wish I knew what to do about my situation other than getting better/more relaxed at icy moguls and not clinching so much in those situations.

You can get foot cramps from excessive bracing with the downhill leg.

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm suffering the same affliction with it feeling like I'm standing on a Titleist under the right foot but mine was self induced by a few bad decisions. Laugh, ridicule, advise, or all of the above.
Getting back onto the mountain last season after taking many off I did my research and knew what I needed to do (short of seeing a fitter) and blew it buying a Dalbello Boss ID in 28.5. I measure at 27.2 and 105 on the right and 27 and 100 on the left. Parked the Dalbello in December after a buddy thats a part time fitter gave me some recommends on what boots to try and did try on 8-10 different boots and bought a new X-Pro 130 in 26.5 from a local classified. My reason for not going to and buying from a fitter wasn't the cost, I have a bit of a shopping thing (Costanza maybe?) where finding a deal is where the OCD takes me.
Anyway, 3 months later and the foot is still numb with a Titleist joining me. My interweb diagnosis was metatarsalgia which my orthopedic let me know was incorrect when I saw him Tuesday. X-Ray didn't show any structural damage or arthritus around the bunion and he felt like it is most likely a neuroma as mentioned in other posts. He is a skier and seemed to enjoy hearing my story and let me know he hopes I have feeling by next season.
The Dallbello will be gifted to a friends son and the Technica Ten.2 120 HVL in 27.5 is still boxed and ready to return to the retailer after getting it for a great price.
Props to Sports Den at Foothill Village who checked the shell fit and were confident they could make it work. Gave me some width here and there with a little more in the toe box and it's feeling good. I started at a fitter mentioned here occasionally and they wanted to sell me a new boot without pulling the liner as they knew it was too small. I won't mention them by name but did call them in advance and let them know I had the boot already to make sure they would take this type of customer.
My last few months in photos for your enjoyment (ducttape over adhesive foam on Dalbello liner), a home shell cook and an angry foot (Sorry for posting my gross feet), and the trifecta of boots. Ill be at Alta this afternoon
Cheers

Attachments

• boots.JPG
    boots.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_4296.jpg
    IMG_4296.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_4299.jpg
    IMG_4299.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_5640.JPG
    IMG_5640.JPG
    115.1 KB · Views: 62

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
Ouch!

and uh-oh. I have the sock-folded-under-my-foot feeling. Started before I started to ski, but I always get it in the ski boots. Sometimes at home, I feel it in my socks! So related, but not always related, to tight boots. Better see the doc.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Morton neuroma is caused by mechanical problems, ie lateral pressure on the foot, typically by tight boots.

It is permanently solved by mechanical means, ie having footwear that's wide enough, tipically wider than you think it's necessary.

Ski boots, shoes, hiking boots etc.

Requires a lot of attention and experimentation.

Even to the point of having shoes tight on top, and really loose around the widest part of the foot.

Surgery, pain killers, anti inflammatory will only mask the problem.

Sponsor

Staff online