• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

palikona

Getting off the lift
Skier
BCA put out a great app about 4 years ago where you could measure the slope angle with the crosshairs of the camera. Unfortunately it doesn’t work with iPhone 7 and it doesn’t look like they’re looking to update it. Are there other apps out there you all use for measuring slope angles while skiing?

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
There's few but for all of those that I know off, you need to put phone down on slope, as they use phones orientation sensors and not camera for this. I never found one, that would use camera to do this, so I guess I'm not much of help with this.

TS
P

palikona

Getting off the lift
Skier
There's few but for all of those that I know off, you need to put phone down on slope, as they use phones orientation sensors and not camera for this. I never found one, that would use camera to do this, so I guess I'm not much of help with this.

What do you use?

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I use Theodolite on my iPhone8. Its awesome.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
@palikona my main is Snowsafe (http://www.snowsafe.at/), and inclinometer is part of it, but main point of app is to have all avi bulletins from around here (Slovenia, Austria, Italy) in same app. Over here things are probably a bit more complicated, as each region in Austria and Italy has it's own avi bulletins, so having them all at same place makes things easier when traveling around. Plus, it allows you to report stuff straight to avi authorities of area where you are in case you spot avalanche, asses snow conditions etc. And inclinometer is working good enough for me. Otherwise Alpine tours from Ortovox, Safety from Mammut and few others also have similar functionality.

locknload

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You have to orient your camera to the slope angle and it reads it. Its quite accurate. If I can figure out how to load a picture here I can show you...let me work on that.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Most of the time though you're looking at a slope, you're not perfectly to the side.

KenX

Powseeker
Industry Insider
I rate Theodolite too, you can use it from the side and line it up with the slope, or you can aim downhill to a point the same height as your eyeline which I find useful as it gives an averaged slope angle

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I mostly use the one called “Clinometer “ on my iPhone. It uses the camera in combo with the sensor. Nice thing is, it goes straight to Clinometer, so no need to waste time clicking through other options.

It speaks the result (nice if you have bright sun on your screen.)

4E742B8F-90CC-4AF0-B2DA-E8E52E4AA8BC.jpeg
AF506CA9-7673-4835-969E-92D94896F6ED.jpeg

I also use the pole sticker, I get pretty good results, and quickest to deploy, but I have to practice more with it every season. I tend not to trust it as much, but that is mostly operator error. I tend to use it a lot at a quick glance, and if anything is critical, I verify with another Clinometer.
Weighs nothing, costs almost nothing, can’t break, can’t be forgotten. I think everyone should have one.

I keep my mirror compass in a zip pocket on my waistbelt. It is much harder to read than the phone, but I can use it with any gloves, and it doesn’t matter if it gets wet or cold, no batteries to run out of.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online