• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
He did more than just knock him out. It was nasty. Nobody is quite sure why the guy wants to show his face in the village again after something like that.

Here people ski in goofy costumes all the time. I wonder if the mountain overreacted or if he was really being a d-bag on the slopes?

TS
Jellybeans1000

Jellybeans1000

Getting off the lift
Industry Insider
Here people ski in goofy costumes all the time. I wonder if the mountain overreacted or if he was really being a d-bag on the slopes?
apparently he was scaring children in his costume. That's why he was kicked off the mountain.

sinbad7

Getting on the lift
Skier
OK, it continues to snow, and small snowfalls are forecast for the next couple of days.

The Spencers Creek depth chart hasn't been updated this week and I'm impatiently waiting to see where we sit after last week's snow. We may be knocking on the door of three metres. If we hit that mark it'll be the first time since 1992 (max depth 316cm), which was itself the first time since 1981 (max depth 360cm). I'm keen to see the result. Hope they didn't skip this week's measurement.

sinbad7

Getting on the lift
Skier
Quick update from down here. Coming in to the end of September and the hill still looks pretty impressive. Unusual that. Backcountry skiing is going to be pretty darned good for the next couple of months, and I have friends who are buying AT bindings for the first time in expectation of those conditions.

cold 1.jpg

The snow depth didn't really breach 240cm. I think it would have done if the measurement had been taken immediately after the last big snowfall, but it's a weekly measure. Not that I'm complaining, mind you.

cold 2.jpg

We were skiing again two weeks back. Parts of the hill were filled in more than I've ever seen, and several 'stay high' traverses weren't working due to the amount of snow.

I was skiing with some very experienced Thredbo peeps. Conditions were good so we ducked a rope and I skied Stanley's Gorge for the first time. Easy to get to, but not so easy to get out afterwards. A bit of bush bashing and sidestepping is required. If you drop too low you're in for a long, billy goating slog to get out the very bottom of the gorge. This is the line (photo dragged off the web).

Thredbo - Stanleys 2.jpg

The line is highlighted in red.

thredbo_aerial.jpg

Perisher has extended closing by a week. Thredbo has not matched that. In fact Thredbo is scratching its collective head and wondering how they're going to get the mountain bike trails ready for opening on 1 November. The village seems to be full through closing weekend, although we spoke to lots of staff who've made plans and are checking out early.

For us, we're done for this season. We're planning to head back the Dolomites in Italy over January / February.

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
That is an incredible season end stoke video. Thanks for sharing!!