• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

attendance at 2018 PyeongChang Winter Olympics

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
From a local Denver Sports reporter/commentator (whose paper covers skiing poorly, in general):

https://www.denverpost.com/2018/02/15/mikaela-shiffrin-big-deal-in-america/

The reporter even walked around the sparse crowd and found it full of disinterested, haphazard folk, not fans.

I think a basic problem of maybe all the recent winter - and summer - games was the places were chosen by major bribery, and for political prestige considerations, not for the convenience and enjoyment of the athletes and real fans. Probably future, already scheduled Olympics venues have been chosen in the same corrupt ways, much like international soccer (one of the few, other, truly international sports), and others, as @Bart Parnell described.

All this probably just parallels what's happened with countries. Other centuries were maybe characterized by the rise of religions, kings, nations or idealogies, but ours so far may prove to be about "The Rise of Kleptocracies." Gangster states.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
P.S. Permanent or semi-permanent Olympic sites in historically (Olympic) significant places might be an answer.

For the summer Olympics, maybe one option would be to find an acceptable permanent or slightly rotating venue in Greece, the ancient birthplace of the games, and have that at first internationally financed, until the main facilities are completed. Maybe at close to the original site(s) of the Olympics within Greece.
(I know, the Turks would hate it.)

But for the winter games, I'm pretty ignorant of any corresponding origination venue(s), or of how appropriate that would be. Anyone know about such places?

Sponsor

Staff online