• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Bruno Schull

Getting off the lift
Skier
Hi.

Some time ago I started a thread about looking for "beginner carving skis with a catch." Here's the link:

https://forum.pugski.com/threads/beginner-carving-skis-with-a-catch.6434/

Basically the community suggested that I was not really looking for beginner carving skis, but intermediate or maybe even high end carving skis.

I have been practicing a lot since then, and I have improved. I can consistently make carved turns of a variety of shapes. Small fast turns straight down the fall line have until now remained difficult. I can carve best on wide open runs that are not too steep, when the conditions are good. I can not carve consistently on ice, or on black runs, or steeper sections of easier runs. My carving technique is in its early stages, and could be greatly improved, but overall carving has opened up a whole new world for me.

I spend most of my time on wider all-mountain or off-piste skis, 88 to 110 underfoot. I have really only tried one other carving ski, an intermediate Elan carving ski (Elan Amphibio 14). So my impressions of the Atomic ski might just be because it is the first high end slalom ski I have ever tried. Also, when I tried the Elan ski, I was really just learning how to carve, whereas now I have better skills. So, again, my impressions of the Atomic ski might just be because I am better able to use the ski how it was designed to be used.

For those who are not familiar with this ski, the Atomic Redster S9 is a high end slalom ski, 68 mm underfoot, 171 length, with a 13 meter turning radius.

I rented these skis on a day with generally hard conditions. On piste there was a thin layer of fresh snow. Lower down it was icy in the morning. Higher the snow was light and dry. In the afternoon it was wet and slushy

My first slow turns felt really natural. I did not have to adjust or adapt in any way. I could ski normally. It was easy to slide to a stop. The ski felt balanced and controlled. When I started to carve the ski came alive.

It gave me several sensations that I have never felt before.

First, it was fast edge to edge. Now I understand what that means. I could very quickly shift from side to side. I spent almost no time on the bases.

Second, it was easy to make small fast turns facing straight down the fall line. I have never been able to make such rapid turns.

On wide open gradual piste I could carve when and how I wanted. Long gradual leaning curves. Fast sweeping curves with power. Big rounded C’s. I could also vary between turn shapes easily

One thing that impressed me was how smooth it felt. Smooth and controlled and predictable.

I know some people say that this ski is demanding. It did not feel that way to me. The only time I noticed that it required some familiarity was occasionally when I was making fast short turns, or making long gradual turns at speed. I thought the ski would slide, and instead the edge hooked up and it began to carve and turn. But it never felt abrupt or sharp or threw me off balance. It just required a quick adjustment. It stayed smooth and solid.

I did notice that when running bases flat in a straight line it was a little unstable. For example, tucking and going straight and fast, or just sliding along slowly on the bases. The ski would rotate and move side to side. It required some attention to keep it pointing in the right direction. But that makes sense. It's a short and narrow slalom ski, and it's not or riding bases flat.

I did take it off piste just to see how it would feel. It performed much as you might expect (not very well). In ankle deep light powder it was fine. In tracked and bumpy consolidated but not refrozen snow it got knocked around. It was not jarring but it was not controlled, and sometimes the edges caught and it wanted to start to turn. In heavy dense snow it sank down and wanted to go straight, and it was hard to steer. But again all that makes sense. This is not an off piste ski.

How does this ski compare to other carving skis? As above, I have really only tried one other carving ski, the Elan Amphibio 14, and at that time I was just learning how to carve. But if I had to guess, I think the Atomic carves better, is faster edge to edge, has more secure edge hold, and is smoother and more solid and predictable. The Elan is probably a little easier to carve at slower speeds, and is more stable in a straight line

Would I buy this ski? I think if I bought an Atomic ski I would go with the slightly longer and slightly larger turning radius Redster X9. I think this ski would be a little more stable in a straight line, and a little more versatile for me. Or I might drop down to the 7 series skis. These skis might carve more easily at lower speeds, although I have to say that I never really hard trouble making this ski carve, it just encouraged me to go fast, maybe too fast!

Overall, this ski was really amazing. It completely changed my experience carving on piste.

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier
Hi.

Some time ago I started a thread about looking for "beginner carving skis with a catch." Here's the link:

https://forum.pugski.com/threads/beginner-carving-skis-with-a-catch.6434/

Basically the community suggested that I was not really looking for beginner carving skis, but intermediate or maybe even high end carving skis.

I have been practicing a lot since then, and I have improved. I can consistently make carved turns of a variety of shapes. Small fast turns straight down the fall line have until now remained difficult. I can carve best on wide open runs that are not too steep, when the conditions are good. I can not carve consistently on ice, or on black runs, or steeper sections of easier runs. My carving technique is in its early stages, and could be greatly improved, but overall carving has opened up a whole new world for me.

I spend most of my time on wider all-mountain or off-piste skis, 88 to 110 underfoot. I have really only tried one other carving ski, an intermediate Elan carving ski (Elan Amphibio 14). So my impressions of the Atomic ski might just be because it is the first high end slalom ski I have ever tried. Also, when I tried the Elan ski, I was really just learning how to carve, whereas now I have better skills. So, again, my impressions of the Atomic ski might just be because I am better able to use the ski how it was designed to be used.

For those who are not familiar with this ski, the Atomic Redster S9 is a high end slalom ski, 68 mm underfoot, 171 length, with a 13 meter turning radius.

I rented these skis on a day with generally hard conditions. On piste there was a thin layer of fresh snow. Lower down it was icy in the morning. Higher the snow was light and dry. In the afternoon it was wet and slushy

My first slow turns felt really natural. I did not have to adjust or adapt in any way. I could ski normally. It was easy to slide to a stop. The ski felt balanced and controlled. When I started to carve the ski came alive.

It gave me several sensations that I have never felt before.

First, it was fast edge to edge. Now I understand what that means. I could very quickly shift from side to side. I spent almost no time on the bases.

Second, it was easy to make small fast turns facing straight down the fall line. I have never been able to make such rapid turns.

On wide open gradual piste I could carve when and how I wanted. Long gradual leaning curves. Fast sweeping curves with power. Big rounded C’s. I could also vary between turn shapes easily

One thing that impressed me was how smooth it felt. Smooth and controlled and predictable.

I know some people say that this ski is demanding. It did not feel that way to me. The only time I noticed that it required some familiarity was occasionally when I was making fast short turns, or making long gradual turns at speed. I thought the ski would slide, and instead the edge hooked up and it began to carve and turn. But it never felt abrupt or sharp or threw me off balance. It just required a quick adjustment. It stayed smooth and solid.

I did notice that when running bases flat in a straight line it was a little unstable. For example, tucking and going straight and fast, or just sliding along slowly on the bases. The ski would rotate and move side to side. It required some attention to keep it pointing in the right direction. But that makes sense. It's a short and narrow slalom ski, and it's not or riding bases flat.

I did take it off piste just to see how it would feel. It performed much as you might expect (not very well). In ankle deep light powder it was fine. In tracked and bumpy consolidated but not refrozen snow it got knocked around. It was not jarring but it was not controlled, and sometimes the edges caught and it wanted to start to turn. In heavy dense snow it sank down and wanted to go straight, and it was hard to steer. But again all that makes sense. This is not an off piste ski.

How does this ski compare to other carving skis? As above, I have really only tried one other carving ski, the Elan Amphibio 14, and at that time I was just learning how to carve. But if I had to guess, I think the Atomic carves better, is faster edge to edge, has more secure edge hold, and is smoother and more solid and predictable. The Elan is probably a little easier to carve at slower speeds, and is more stable in a straight line

Would I buy this ski? I think if I bought an Atomic ski I would go with the slightly longer and slightly larger turning radius Redster X9. I think this ski would be a little more stable in a straight line, and a little more versatile for me. Or I might drop down to the 7 series skis. These skis might carve more easily at lower speeds, although I have to say that I never really hard trouble making this ski carve, it just encouraged me to go fast, maybe too fast!

Overall, this ski was really amazing. It completely changed my experience carving on piste.
Welcome to the Wonderful World of Slalom skis!!!

TS
B

Bruno Schull

Getting off the lift
Skier
It's so fun! Exhilarating even! Awesome feeling.

Questions: how much of this ski's performance do people think is related to the whole "Servotec" or "Power steering" rebound/damping system in the front of the ski?

Good animation at about 1:00

Does Servotec really do anything or is it just marketing?

On one hand, I can imagine that Atomic might have produced this ride just be hitting the sweet spot of dimensions, flex, and so on, without the Servotec. On the other hand, when you flex the ski by hand you can see the metal rod moving into and out of the binding where the elastomer is located.

Maybe it works?

Just curious.

jzmtl

Intermidiot
Skier
After looking at them in store I'm convinced they are a cost saving version of the doubledecker and that's the reason for the switch (MSRP is $300 lower too). My doubledecker GS feels like it's stiffer under flex and very damp in crud, although the latter may due to them weight like cinder blocks. They are quite a bit heavier than FIS GS skis and on chairs without footrest my legs start to go numb from the weight, so I suppose a lighter version is quite welcome.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The S9/G9/X9 were some of our testers favorite skis this year..and other than the X9 changing colors, next years are carryover.

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
One of the European Atomic reps told me at ISPO last year, that the weight of the old Doubledecks was a big issue for some people, and that saving weigth was the engine behind the development of Servotec.

And I do think the S9, G9 and X9 are nice smooth stable, quick carving skis. Great skis, but less versatile stan some others in those categories (some other skis smeer better, for instance). But great skis indeed.

DoryBreaux

Not the Pixar Character
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
The s, g and x 9 skis are amazing. Although I might be a little biased.
Phil mentioned that they are on the favorite list for hard snow skis. They are my favorite list. Again, I'm a little biased towards atomic but there is a good reason.
You should try the X9, I think that you will find it more versatile.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
The s, g and x 9 skis are amazing. Although I might be a little biased.
Phil mentioned that they are on the favorite list for hard snow skis. They are my favorite list. Again, I'm a little biased towards atomic but there is a good reason.

And what is that good reason? Calling for full transparency:).

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Man, I shouldnt click and read threads like this. I have already ended up with 3 pairs of skis... Now this... :doh:

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier
After looking at them in store I'm convinced they are a cost saving version of the doubledecker and that's the reason for the switch (MSRP is $300 lower too). My doubledecker GS feels like it's stiffer under flex and very damp in crud, although the latter may due to them weight like cinder blocks. They are quite a bit heavier than FIS GS skis and on chairs without footrest my legs start to go numb from the weight, so I suppose a lighter version is quite welcome.
I can't imagine the Non-FIS version is heavier than the FIS version of any Atomic ski. Most of the weight is the Bindings and the X 12-TL are way lighter than any of the X-Series Race Bindings. I also doubt it is a $ saving issue. It is a different technology as the Servoctec Rod is "Pre-Stressed ...Pushing the tip to the snow. The old Double Deck was just a 2nd deck laying on the top of the ski and didn't come into to play until the ski was actually flexed. And although painted like Carbon Fiber.....I don't believe it was. My 2014 FIS Redster with X20 bindings weigh a ridiculous amount~But again....The Binding is ultra heavy. And honestly I have always liked heavy ski/binding combo. I am not doing aerobatics and that weight makes for a very smooth, solid ride!

The Atomic double deck construction basically is composed of two decks or what looks like one ski on top of another ski. The two separate skis are produced separately and joined together in the end of the process but can move freely offering a unique skiing experience. The lower deck which is considered the adaptor deck helps the ski adjust to the varying slope and snow conditions. The upper deck or the control deck helps distribute the power made by the skier for absolute perfection through every phase of the turn. Double deck technology comes in two different types labeled as D2 Vario Cut with variable sidecut and D2 Vario Flex with variable flex. Next we will dive into the differences between these two variations of the double deck technology.

D2 Vario Flex
The second version in this new technology is the D2 Vario Flex which if you can imagine is a ski that can manage its flex at varying speeds, sounds cool doesn’t it? Atomic has made this system to have a progressively increasing flex meaning the more pressure you put into a corner the harder the flex of the ski will be. This system gives the ski great tracking and precision in turning control even at very high speeds. If less pressure is put on the ski through the corner the ski will offer a softer flex thus needing a minimal effort for the easiest turn initiation. This system can benefit all skiers making shorter turns more dynamic and easier to maneuver and long turns and straight shots increasingly stable and forgiving. All this is done by this ski automatically adapting different flex throughout the turn specific to that turn. There are 5 separate connections between the upper deck and lower deck fused together by elastomers making for a very smooth skiing and great suspension and dampening. All the technology makes the D2 Vario Flex excel in many conditions from hard pack, crud to powder and gives you the greatest mixture of race ski like power and all mountain type control.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier

^This, the X9 has an absolutely enormous sweet spot; you could ski that ski in high heels and still be front/back balanced.

Yes, I do think the Servotec does something, but I think it's more evident on the longer skis.

The D2/D3 skis have a huge cult following here but they feel completely different from the Servotec skis. The X9 is more like a skinny head monster than like the D2/D3 skis.

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
There are a lot of great skis out there and now is the time to shop.
If you can find someone who sells Fischers Id recommend a demo.
Their Curv line is very very good right now.

TS
B

Bruno Schull

Getting off the lift
Skier
Atomicman wrote,

"It is a different technology as the Servoctec Rod is "Pre-Stressed ...Pushing the tip to the snow."

I could be completely wrong, but my understanding is that the rod is under tension and the elastomer is compressed before the ski is flexed. Then, when the ski flexes, the elastomer extends, pulling the tip up, or, alternatively, pulling the ski into a curve or carve, hence the term, "Power steering." This would seem to be the reverse of what Atomicman suggests. When the ski rebounds, the rod and elastomer would then damp or control that reverse movement. It does seem somewhat counter-intuitive, i.e. it reduces the rebound or spring of the ski, but maybe that's why this ski is so smooth?

Or I don't understand the system correctly, and as Atomicman says it pushed the tip into the snow. Definitely wouldn't be the first time I'm wrong, and the video is a bit vague...

Here is another somewhat vague description from the store linked below. Again, it's somewhat ambiguous, although it does say that the rod is under tension, not compression.

SERVOTEC PERFORMANCE TECHNOLOGY

Servotec is Atomic's radical innovation for racing and high-performance piste skiing. The name comes from ‘Servolenkung’ because that’s what it is – the first power steering for skis! The secret is the Servotec rod on the top of the ski and the elastomer just under the binding:

• The rod is under tension, meaning the elastomer connected to it is compressed. The whole ski is therefore in a pre-stressed position – essentially ready to turn.
  • As the ski bends into a turn, the compression in the elastomer is relaxed. It rebounds out like a spring, pulling the rod with it and actively supporting the flex of the ski. This makes steering lighter and quicker.
  • Then on fast straights the rod and elastomer dampen out bumps and ruts in the slope and even swallow up negative swings. This keeps your steering firmer and more stable when skiing straight at high speeds.
Link: https://www.coloradodiscountskis.com/store/Atomic_18_Redster_S9_SL.html

Insight from those in the know would be appreciated.

It would be cool to understand what this technology is doing.

Thanks,

Bruno

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Here is another somewhat vague description from the store linked below. Again, it's somewhat ambiguous, although it does say that the rod is under tension, not compression.

The rod is under tension. The elastomer is under (variable amounts of) compression.

That particular combination is not new; some flavours of it have been in use in both plates and plate extensions (Rossi, Marker) for a long time now. What is relatively new is the minimalist embodiment of it.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
Looks like a shock absorber/damper to me. Based on the marketing video:
- Elastomer appears to have a speed limit when returning the tip camber after being flexed. This speed limit is exceeded when vibrating on choppy snow. You stay under the speed limit when arcing turns on a groomer.
-It looks like the camber in the tip is effectively reduced when going over rough terrain. This would help keep the ski from hooking in choppy conditions at speed.

IDK how true the action is relative to the marketing.

jzmtl

Intermidiot
Skier
I can't imagine the Non-FIS version is heavier than the FIS version of any Atomic ski. Most of the weight is the Bindings and the X 12-TL are way lighter than any of the X-Series Race Bindings. I also doubt it is a $ saving issue. It is a different technology as the Servoctec Rod is "Pre-Stressed ...Pushing the tip to the snow. The old Double Deck was just a 2nd deck laying on the top of the ski and didn't come into to play until the ski was actually flexed. And although painted like Carbon Fiber.....I don't believe it was. My 2014 FIS Redster with X20 bindings weigh a ridiculous amount~But again....The Binding is ultra heavy. And honestly I have always liked heavy ski/binding combo. I am not doing aerobatics and that weight makes for a very smooth, solid ride!

Not Atomic's FIS, but friend's Nordica Dobermann. If you compare with D2 the servotec is much less complicated in both the rod vs. 2nd deck, and the bridge underfoot (there is no longer the slider that raise your heel under flex, which is not very well designed but that's another topic). This has no doubt lowered the price point as reflected by the new lower MSRP.

Also, the two tech is quite similar fundamentally. The 2nd deck (which as you said is molded plastic with fake carbon fiber pattern) on D2 connected to ski via polymer discs which compress and resist the two decks sliding against each other while ski is flexing, quite similar to the polymer block behind the rod in servotec.

Edit: reading the description it sounds like servotec works sorta opposite. The elastomer is trying to decamber the ski at rest, so essentially gives you a softer ski for the initial flex, and once you go pass the preload and stretch the elastomer opposite way, then it works like D2 in increasing stiffness.

Last edited:

flbufl

Getting on the lift
Skier
They are really good skis, but I never believe the so called 'high tech device'.
The name of Atomic Servotec is just a little bit less ridiculous than the Volkl UVO.

It's so fun! Exhilarating even! Awesome feeling.

Questions: how much of this ski's performance do people think is related to the whole "Servotec" or "Power steering" rebound/damping system in the front of the ski?

Good animation at about 1:00

Does Servotec really do anything or is it just marketing?

On one hand, I can imagine that Atomic might have produced this ride just be hitting the sweet spot of dimensions, flex, and so on, without the Servotec. On the other hand, when you flex the ski by hand you can see the metal rod moving into and out of the binding where the elastomer is located.

Maybe it works?

Just curious.