• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Atomic Hawx Prime 130s vs XTD - Is the flex the same?

psortti

Booting up
Skier
I have a pair of Atomic Hawx Prime 130s (with Zipfits). Love the boots. Fits like a glove and excellent flex:)

I am now considering buying this boot in the XTD-version with tech insterts and walk mode, to be able to do some basic touring/skinning (short distance only) when I am skiing the backcountry.

Does anyone know if the Flex/stiffness of the 130s is smimilar to the 130XTD? Anyone who has experience?

Patrik

Truberski

Getting off the lift
Skier
I have the Ultra 130 version of both boots (XTD being previous generation) and XTDs definitely flex and ski softer. The flex rating variability among brands and even within different boot lines of same manufacturer is maddening. I’m no expert but boot flex ratings among similar purpose/design boots somewhat translates but not so much when you cross over to different use boots (I.e. race versus all-mountain, all-mountain to hybrid, hybrid to more narrowly focused touring boot).

Thankfully the ultimate authority on Atomic boots (onenerdykid) frequents this site and can provide a better response and explanation. And you’ve already thrown off the dynamics with a Zipfit liner as that has seems to have an even bigger impact on how boot flexes, feels, skis, etc. My XTDs have the previous lighter, more touring focused liner and I have no doubt current XTD skis closer to non-XTD model (given beefier liner),

And for record, I love both boots but wouldn’t be happy with the XTD as my sole ski boot.

Last edited:

onenerdykid

Product Manager, Atomic Ski Boots
Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
Walk mode boots will always be slightly softer than their fixed cuff siblings.

The flex is close/similar, but not exact. The entire purpose of a Hawx XTD boots is to be as close to a regular Hawx boot in terms of fit, geometry, and skiing performance as humanly possible. It's close, but it's not exact.

Sponsor

Staff online