• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Yep. ogsmile

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I don't have much knowledge in this area, but I can share one anecdote.

I always thought the poor inbounds performance on my AT skis was due to lack of direct transfer to my bindings - Fritschi Eagles.

Then I bought new AT boots. All of a sudden, it seemed like they were driving even better than my alpine setup.

Unfortunately, the boots were way too small for me and I had to get rid of them, but anyway, point being, boots are a big part of the equation.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Haven't skied them, but look for reviews on the Kye 95 from previous years...same ski with a new name and NGT

They are the evolution of the Kye but I don't believe they are the same ski. Pretty sure they use a touring specific core which could significantly alter how they perform.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
They are the evolution of the Kye but I don't believe they are the same ski. Pretty sure they use a touring specific core which could significantly alter how they perform.

Pretty sure it's the same core...palownia wood (IIRC). Generally a very light weight, poppy, playful core. 4FRNT is even using the Kye 95 reviews on their site on the Uptrack page.

TS
davjr96

davjr96

Getting off the lift
Skier
Picked up a pair of Marker Barron 13s that happened to be mounted to some Black Diamond Megawatts at a ski swap today for an absolute steal. Unfortunately the Skis are 188cm and much too large for me (and 125mm waist so not ideal anyway) but I was able to get it cheap enough that I can sell the skis flat to a friend and either break even or profit on the set, so now I just gotta find some skis...

TS
davjr96

davjr96

Getting off the lift
Skier
Finally finished my setup with a pair of 173 Dynafit Chugach picked up cheap from EVO and was able to test it a bit last week over thanksgiving. Ski's are wonderful and I used them for a whole day inbounds too. Bindings leave a lot to be desired touring wise, so I'm going to be on the lookout for a pair of kingpins or tectons, but they'll definitely work for now. Thanks for all the input!

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
. Ski's are wonderful and I used them for a whole day inbounds too. Bindings leave a lot to be desired touring wise, so I'm going to be on the lookout for a pair of kingpins or tectons,

Glad you got a setup at a great price. When you're at Whiteface, drop in at the Mountaineer in Keene and pick their brains. You can also give me a holler and I can show you what I've got. I'd let you try my Kingpins, but I don't keep them in the Adirondaks. Mountaineer has rentals with tech bindings though.

squill

Getting on the lift
Skier
Just be leery when stepping into Barons with your boots. I've found that my boot heels (Mastrale RS and Freedom SL) became deformed after a few demo days in Marker frame/MNC alpine style bindings.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Just be leery when stepping into Barons with your boots. I've found that my boot heels (Mastrale RS and Freedom SL) became deformed after a few demo days in Marker frame/MNC alpine style bindings.

The combo of softer plastics in AT shells, and the high forward pressure requirements of Marker royal-style heels is no good. :(

TS
davjr96

davjr96

Getting off the lift
Skier
Yeah I've actually already noticed that deformity... I definitely plan on upgraded to the new Salomon Binding after this year now that I know what I want though. There is an AT gear demo near me this weekend so I will also have the opportunity to try a lot of different things.

west or bust

back asswards
Skier
The only thing I don't like about the new Sally binder is the tall climbing bail is only 10°. Don't know where you're located OP but in my experience a lot of the touring here involves steep approaches in the trees, which makes switch backing 100 times a pain. I'm hoping they tweak the design to at least have the option to install a taller bail.

TS
davjr96

davjr96

Getting off the lift
Skier
I did read that, not sure I'll be doing anything steep enough for it to matter.
I had the chance to demo some skis with Vipecs and Ions, I was very very impressed by how the Vipecs skied even on Groomers in sub zero temps where the Demo took place... I'm going to see if I can find them or Tectons cheap enough and do that instead.

Choucas

Getting off the lift
Skier
I skied the Vipec 12 (with upgrades as Fritschi evolved that design) since it came out both on and off piste. I've now stepped up to the Tecton. A bit heavier, but much more convenient. I think that the Tectons are better on hard snow and piste conditions than the Vipec or Evo, but the difference is not major. Not my choice for piste skiing but it can be done. Just have to back everything off a bit. Control is not the same as an alpine rig, but that's also due to the boots and skis not being designed for that kind of skiing. Off piste, none of this comes into play. Have had no issues with the Vipecs and don't see any reason why the Tectons should be in the same category. I like the lateral release and shock absorption in the toe. For me the Kingpin's lateral release at the heel doesn't make sense and the whole thing is just too bulky. +1 on the Mountaineer in Keene Valley. They have a ton of experience with the gear that works best in the adk conditions and terrain.

TS
davjr96

davjr96

Getting off the lift
Skier
Was able to get the Tectons at a really good price so I will be mounting those next week when they arrive. It looks like they're still pretty new so I will probably start another thread for a review/initial thoughts. On paper they are everything I want however and I'm pretty excited to try them out.

Sponsor

Staff online