• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

davjr96

Getting off the lift
Skier
Hi everyone, First post but a long time lurker.

I'm looking to get an AT setup but am a little lost on Ski/Binding selection. I already got some well fitting Boots (Scarpa Maestrale RS for a steal from Backcountry.com) so that's a start.
These skis will be used primarily in the Northeast (Adirondack Park) for touring, so I don't think I need a massively wide powder ski. Ideally however I would be able to use them inbounds at Whiteface Mt. on a "Powder Day" (a couple inches of fresh snow followed by rain) but those are few and far between. I get a fairly good discount on Black Diamond/Salomon/Fischer stuff through a family member so I have been primarily researching those options. Has anyone skied the BD Helio Series and the Dynafit beast and can compare? Lastly I am not tall (5' 5") so I am looking for something shorter than most people use the backcountry. I've seen some skis that only come in 180+.
I am also torn between Frame/Tech bindings. I would love the uphill performance of Tech bindings, but I consider myself a fairly aggressive skier and also race so I'm worried about downhill performance. I've seen the Kingpins/Tektons and think those would be ideal but the price is not appealing. Can I get away with Tech-bindings and not have to worry about downhill ejections? Or should I get frame bindings especially since I would like to use these inbounds sometimes and deal with weight penalty.

Thanks!

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Realistically -- what is the breakdown of inbounds vs out of bounds skiing? That will lead you to the right answer re:bindings.

People -- in my view -- typically severely underestimate how well even normal tech bindings (Dynafit Turn / Radical) ski. They aren't as powerful as alpine bindings....but people think they ski harder than most do.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I rented a pair of Helios last january at Jackson Hole for a day of skinning and skiing off the Teton Pass. I really liked them. Used tech bindings and they were fine. I would get the tech bindings, you can still ski them inbounds.

A ski I rented at Big sky for a powder day that felt similar to me is the Atomic Backland. They come in different widths and the ones I skied were, I think, 102... or maybe 107, can't remember. I don't know how they compare to Helios weight-wise.

TS
davjr96

davjr96

Getting off the lift
Skier
Ideally it would be 50/50 inbounds vs backcountry, but that all depends on conditions. If there is barely any fresh snow then I'll be on my race skis all the time inbounds and probably won't be able to go skinning as much as I would like. Alternatively I would probably use these anytime there was more than a couple inches of new snow. I'm sure tech bindings would work perfectly in the backcountry and if the split were more than direction it would probably be an easy choice ...

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Realistically -- what is the breakdown of inbounds vs out of bounds skiing? That will lead you to the right answer re:bindings.

I would also consider distances. A mile or two of skinning is different from 8-10 miles of skinning.

nemesis256

Patrick
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
From Fischer the new Hannibal would be a good option, especially at your size. I'm 5'7" 130 lbs and skied the Hannibal 100 last winter with Marker F10 Tour bindings. They didn't have quite enough side cut for my tastes though, so I'm changing skis this winter and also making the switch to tech bindings (a lot of people say you eventually make the switch to tech bindings). I got the new Fritschi Vipec Evo for its ability to release from the toe. If you're going to use these inbounds something with an alpine heel might be the best option. I can't speak to how well regular tech bindings are inbounds unfortunately.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
If you are going pin binding, I would endorse the King Pin. I got one pair last year and two more pair this year. I'm going to mount a pair on Fischer Ranger 98s. I think this would be a good setup for east coast as their hard pack performance is pretty good, they are wide enough for BC powder and they are fairly light.

The advantage of the KingPin over the other pin bindings is the quality of the heel piece and its retention ability. All pin bindings must release at the toe but releases at the toe initiate with a undesirable release at the heel. The KingPin heel is robust and the system tests quite nicely with the Vermont Calibrator. I stress tested the binding on my Lotus 138s in bounds on a big powder day at Breck before I took them into the BC. I was totally impressed with their retention and performance. The way I was able to put a 138mm ski on edge with a pin binding impressed me, to say the least.

I have used Fritschi and Marker Barons. Both are descent bindings with the edge going to the Marker. An F10 or F12 Marker would be a better match for a 50/50 BC/Area mix if you were to go frame; mostly because they are lighter and still formidable bindings. The only drawback with frame bindings and Marker and Fritschi in particular, is the stand height. They are pretty tall.

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
As for skis, I like about 110 width where there is more powder. For the northeast, I like a width about 85, which is great for both hardpack and powder up to 7 inches, maybe 10 inches. The 110's are pricey. To keep weight down, lots of carbon. The 85's are very reasonable in price; wood ski, no metal, but still holds a great edge.

As for bindings, I use tech bindings on the 110's, for lighter weight. I use frame on the 85's for greater durability and toe release, to ski inbounds hardback and moguls. I think repeated banging of moguls is where the tech bindings are going to be a problem.

BoofHead

Getting on the lift
Skier
If you are going pin binding, I would endorse the King Pin. .....

I have used Fritschi and Marker Barons. Both are descent bindings with the edge going to the Marker. An F10 or F12 Marker would be a better match for a 50/50 BC/Area mix if you were to go frame; mostly because they are lighter and still formidable bindings. The only drawback with frame bindings and Marker and Fritschi in particular, is the stand height. They are pretty tall.
Another drawback is is the clunky skinning action of a frame binding compared to a pin toe. The difference was a revelation for me.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
FWIW, just get a nice tech binding: G3, Fritschi Vipec, or a Dynafit and call it good. You won't destroy them or yourself skiing inbounds if you dial things back just a bit in bumps and rough terrain. I've skied groomers and chalky off piste at a very good clip without any issue. Don't drink the Dynafit Beast kool aide. Your boot must always be inclined in walk mode... not fun.

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I also felt that on firmer snow conditions, there was a lot of vibration transmitted through my Fritschi frame bindings. It wasn't a performance issue, but it just made the soles of my feet feel numb. Granted, I haven't skied those conditions since I put tech bindings on the same skis, so for all I know, it's the ski.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My Fritschi frame bindings developed a bit of slop/ wobble after a while. I asked at a shop and was told that was normal. I think I am not a very precise skier though because I never really notice it when I ski. I probably use them inbounds 75% of the time.

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
You won't destroy them or yourself skiing inbounds if you dial things back just a bit in bumps and rough terrain

Hi. He said he is skiing at Whiteface.
For that, I recommend a frame binding as a 50/50 on/off resort binding. I got mine for $220, with brakes and crampons. I'm not going to sweat it if they break.

For touring hut to hut on the Appalachian trail, my suggestion would be different.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Fritschi frame bindings had their day. The sun has set.

Does that include the current Eagle, Scout and Freeride Pro models. If so, why? I have only used the Diamir, their early frame binding, so I'm curious. The Diamir is certainly weak by today's standards, but it opened a lot of doors 20 years ago.

Hi. He said he is skiing at Whiteface.
For that, I recommend a frame binding as a 50/50 on/off resort binding. I got mine for $220, with brakes and crampons. I'm not going to sweat it if they break.

For touring hut to hut on the Appalachian trail, my suggestion would be different.

I agree. For casual BC and aggressive in bounds skiing I'd use a frame binding.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Didn't catch the mixed use at Whiteface part. If so, then sure, a framed touring binding makes sense, and sure, the current Fritschi line could work. I'd expect a lack of torsional rigidity (beam vs. frame) compared to a marker f10-12 free tour or Tryolia adrenaline, etc... Beam bindings a la Fritschi IMHO are best suited to soft snow, true backcountry work, but tech bindings do all of that commensurately well at less weight. Dunno. It all depends on how much the OP really thinks he'll use them, cost, etc... One can make most setups work, and a used Fritschi binding is sometimes a great and inexpensive option to figure things out until the actual vs aspirational narrative is made more clear through actual use. Sometimes we just have to figure out what doesn't work to help sort out what will.

TS
davjr96

davjr96

Getting off the lift
Skier
It looks like my best bet might be just to get a cheaper pair of frame bindings, use them for a season or two, and if I find I can do BC more than I expected upgrade to something nicer once I know what I want. I have a feeling my main use for these this year might be skinning up whiteface before opening (I have an uphill pass) and skiing them the rest of the AM, depending on how much natural snow the Adirondacks get this year.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I think you have made a good decision.

Sponsor

Staff online