• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

ASTM binding test chairman talks about AT bindings

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
For those who don't watch here's your tl;dw: Most tech bindings don't have lateral release at the toe (releasing laterally at the heel instead) which impacts the force to your bone depending on where the impact originates.

Three thoughts/questions:

- Isn't the exact inverse of this true for alpine bindings? It seems to be dependent (in his rendition) on the location of lateral release to the tibia. For tech, it means a larger release force if impacts happen in front of the binding. For alpine it would follow that there are larger forces required when force impacting ski is behind the toe piece. Exception being bindings with lateral release at the hell (Knee bindings). Now -- there may be reasons why we prefer one compromise to the other due to the frequency of impacts in particular spots etc. But to pretend by omission that the same isn't true of alpine bindings strikes me a bit off.
- I find it a bit silly to say the the Vipec's lateral release is new, and just "theoretically" work to release laterally. They have seen multiple seasons of field use with success, and have passed the DIN certifications for release characteristics.
- If this very fearful portrayal is the case, how are multiple tech bindings now getting DIN certified? Including the Vipec with lateral release, the Kingpin used in the demonstration, and the Radical 2.0? Is DIN certification that poor?

Last edited:

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
You will find all answers in the first link of my prior post. The open discussion portion is a long read but worth it.

Yes -- I've read those previously. Others should too if they care about this and want to understand the problems of release in all bindings beyond what--IMHO--this video oversimplifies in an unproductive way. (Even if all of the video is factually accurate, it doesn't help a consumer understand the important pros/cons between tech vs alpine release designs.)

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It would have a been a lot better if they got a boot in the binding and released it, and done the same with an alpine binding. And explained what happens during release, i.e. What parts move and release where in what order in the binding-boot system.

Sponsor

Staff online