• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Arapahoe Basin: Friend rescues friend hanging from backpack.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah. I was really focused the first time and got on it just fine. The second time, I guess I got complacent, and ended up being pulled by the arms until I realized that I was not going to be able to hold on the whole way. I have seen boarders manage this. They must have bionic arms or something. That thing had a kick! Apparently the replacement is a T bar: http://ski.curbed.com/2013/10/7/10190064/new-lifts-at-copper-mountain-debut-this-season

@DeAnn Sloan has bionic arms, I witnessed it myself.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
A few thoughts as a habitual backpack wearer...
A partially removed backpack is a lot more dangerous than one just worn. I suspect it is the loose hanging buckles or straps that get caught -- tight to the body with everyghing fastened would not be an issue.

I bought my pack because it was the smallest one I could find that had a ski-carry feature. I have had very few occaisions where I felt its thickness was pushing me too far forward, all on old chairs. (Olympic Lady at squaw springs to mind.)

Until this year, the only places that gave me trouble about the pack were Smugglers Notch and Middlebury Snow Bowl, both in Vermont. I was surprised when Stowe hassled me about it before Christmas (not having heard about this years incidents.) That day was after a thaw freeze cycle, so there were basically two black and two blue ways down, with minor variations. We were doing ten minute laps with no lift lines, so it got pretty annoying. Eventually I started leaving it most of the way off when we took the blue routes.

So I've thought about what I am going to do going forward, starting with what I keep in it and how often I use them. In the East, you are never that far from the lodge and there aren't many (official) places where hiking is needed, so I will probably give it up and deal with more-stuffed-than-I'd-like pockets. In the West, I'll probably deal with taking it off for each ride.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
@mdf what about a ski carry strap? Mine lives in my pocket.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I have no info but would guess the two kids that recently got snagged had both back straps on.. Photos seemed to look like they did. Somewhere there has got to be an industry trade publication for lift manufacturers and resort ops managers that is discussing exactly what hooked where on these chairs for all these recent incidents..

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'd say what he did was brave and selfless and that he took a calculated risk that his skills would be sufficient to achieve his goals. He proved himself right. Now if I'd tried that it would be ridiculous.

I just meant he was ridiculous in the sense that he has crazy skills!

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I just meant he was ridiculous in the sense that he has crazy skills!

That's what I thought you meant the first time - I'm glad!

TS
SkiNurse

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
TS
SkiNurse

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
My co-worker's husband was at that wedding....

Sponsor

Staff online