• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Arapahoe Basin: Friend rescues friend hanging from backpack.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
It doesn't seem likely that packs aren't allowed on the ridge at Bridger Bowl. On the website's opening page there's a picture of someone on the ridge wearing a pack:
https://bridgerbowl.com/

And on the ridge information page I couldn't find anything about no packs:
https://bridgerbowl.com/pdfs/ridge-guide-9b07757c.pdf

Actually more like the opposite. You're not supposed to get on that lift WITHOUT a beacon, probe, and shove... i.e. they expect you to have a back pack and will stop you if they notice you don't.... so I've heard anyway.. Remember the guy that freaked out at the ticket window because the liftee wouldn't let him on the lift without the avy safety equipment?

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Back to WEARING the pack on the lift. That's the issue, right? Off the back, in the lap. Or next to you.

I am sure that the business conversations are all based on "how much are we at risk, and how do we mitigate that risk?" One way to be protected is obviously to be insured. If your insurer makes a change to only cover you for certain exposure if you make changes, and implement "rules" you pretty much are stuck making them. Yes, you need signage, and you need to train your lift ops staff. No packs on the back on the lift. Unless it's a TBar or a Poma.

I think turning the semi-blind eye, by NOT prohibiting wearing the backpacks, while having had awareness of the risks, is just not going to happen. Too much risk. No chance.

It seems like such a clear and simple solution. Maybe because I have never worn a pack on a lift, in many decades. Skied with one...yes, I carried a big one some days as a coach, for decades.

No doubt the surge in AT and BC, along with the invention of the Camelback has more people skiing with packs.

Sounds like there is a lot of conversation about both.....

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
No packs on the back on the lift. Unless it's a TBar or a Poma.

That's the solution. Surface lifts only. Limits skier traffic, requires a basic level of skill (except for magic carpet), and can run in absolutely howling winds. And - zero risk of dangling or falling.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I'd be worried about a T-bar catching on something as you come off it. I always move my fanny pack around to avoid getting snagged. Especially if I'm riding with a partner (which I generally avoid because they are totally the ones that screw up -- turned down a cute guy yesterday in spite of his nice offer - wasn't ready to deal). I think anytime you've got buckles dangling or snaggable it's only a matter of time.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I'd be worried about a T-bar catching on something as you come off it. I always move my fanny pack around to avoid getting snagged. Especially if I'm riding with a partner (which I generally avoid because they are totally the ones that screw up -- turned down a cute guy yesterday in spite of his nice offer - wasn't ready to deal). I think anytime you've got buckles dangling or snaggable it's only a matter of time.

Sure, but compare the risks of snagging on a T-Bar vs dangling in the air, hanging from a sofa frame.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Some people have issues with surface lifts.

Shhhh. You weren't supposed to mention the other benefit.

Joking! Mostly. Kinda.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive

Hmm. Interesting. I have been riding a lot of surface lifts for almost 60 years. Ride a T bar very frequently, and I have never seen anybody caught on it. Generally one rider slides off, and the other "takes the T" and gently slides it to the side, then lets it retract our if his/her hand. Easy stuff. I guess anything is possible? Poma or Platter lifts? I know somebody who rides a few most of the summer, often loaded with a lot of gear. Have never heard of a catch....or experienced one.

I guess the warning might be to take care of and secure any loose straps? Perhaps. I guess if you did get dragged around a bull wheel, it could be a real problem...and tough on your skis.

BTW, my dad and I both suffered broken noses on Tbars, as a result of clueless riders with us. He was about 50. I was seven.

And yes, watching a fairly inexperienced boarder riding a T bar for the first time can be painful. Same with a rope tow!

Big fan of surface lifts. There is talk of a new one going in at our home hill. Perhaps two.

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Is it possible to get something hung-up on a T-bar? Whilst working at Big Sky a very distinguished woman visiting from Great Britain told my wife of an experience she had at a resort in Europe. She was riding a T-bar by herself on a pleasant day when the bar began slipping and she feared she was going to lose it. As she struggled to maintain her push up the track one end of the the bar somehow worked its way under the bottom of her sweater (it was a warm day hence no parka) and as she struggled with it bar and the sweater continued to rise. When she arrived at the top of the tow she somehow still had hold of the bar, but it had her sweater and also her bra. The operator stopped the T-bar so she could retrieve her clothing and continue her ski day. I believe this to be a true story. Wife swears it is.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I've seem plenty of people hanged or dragged for several hundred feet by t-bars, j-bars, pull handles. I also saw a girl get hanged by her scarf on a rope tow may years ago. She was blue and not moving when they took her down on the sled..

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
The straps are snagging on the slats on the chair usually, maybe between the seat and backrest, or the seat and arm rest. Not the safety bar unless it somehow snags at the back.
I've seen some little posts with a rubber cap that the "comfort" bars hit/contact the front of the chair when you pull them down. Some act as dividers between people and are on the bar itself. Those little posts could hook something pretty solidly if things went wrong just right..

James

Out There
Instructor
Well how about all surface lifts have to be pomas? That would be nice for skiers.

I ride tbars fairly often with young kids nearly 2ft shorter. It's a challenge at the beginning and especially the flat spots where the jerk comes. I don't recommend doing it unless your careful to take the load with your hand and not your knee.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Nothing like riding T bars at your boot tops. Too many years of taking little ones up our local bump.

For years no scarfs were not allowed on lifts. Now I'm seeing the snow bunnies with the huge infinity scarves around their necks. I realized that they came up the gondola, but after that unless you continue to ride our gondola you're on a chair.

At the local bump the T bar was usually a source of laughter and frustration. Kids hanging on after they've fallen, dragging up to the top. (It's only 160' tall, so not that far, but.)

I'm going to take a good look at the pack I was thinking about taking to WB in March. It was just to carry the camera etc. Not a camera pack per se...

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Regarding Bridger Bowl... I was only there once during the Big Sky Gathering a few years back. So I'm not an expert, but a group of us rented / borrowed beacons and headed in into Schlussman's (sp?) with some forum members who were locals. Getting on the lift required showing that your avalanche transceiver beeped . If you didn't beep, they'd stop the lift until you did beep. I was wearing mine on a chest harness. I certainly wasn't wearing a pack, and we did a couple laps up there.

I heard various reasons for the transceiver requirement from "very real avalanche danger" to "helps ski patrol find you if you're hurt". I prefer the latter reason, because I don't know diddly about how to use the things.

Regarding surface lifts... Years ago, I did a Washington DC ski trip to British Columbia. We were at Panorama and riding the j-bar. DeAnn went to unload and the bar snagged her jacket, lifted her up, flung her into a snowbank. DeAnn was lying in a heap (she was fine...) but of course our first reaction was to take a picture of the DeAnn shaped imprint in the snowbank. :cool::D Ahhhh. Memories.

The Copper Mtn. poma is also a memorable one for its ability to cause some crashes...The Breck t-bar is loooonnnnnggggg, but it doesn't seem to be that tricky to ride. More frequent visitors (ahem, @Monique ) no doubt have some stories to tell though

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
The Copper Mtn. poma is also a memorable one for its ability to cause some crashes...The Breck t-bar is loooonnnnnggggg, but it doesn't seem to be that tricky to ride. More frequent visitors (ahem, @Monique ) no doubt have some stories to tell though

They replaced Storm King at Copper - I had the "opportunity" to ride it / be dragged by it just before it was replaced. There were definitely excessive forces involved.

Aside from the usual at the Breck T-Bar (skiers trying to sit down fully; boarders at a severe disadvantage), I only remember one real disaster, where a child somehow kept going up past the stopping point. There's a safety bar thing beyond the offload - if it gets hit, the T-Bar stops. But I think she managed to somehow miss it. I don't recall the details. I believe the lifties were able to stop it before it got too bad, but her skis probably needed some base work after.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
They replaced Storm King at Copper - I had the "opportunity" to ride it / be dragged by it just before it was replaced. There were definitely excessive forces involved.

Oh, they did? That thing provided the most thrilling first 50 feet of any uphill transportation, ever. My most memorable encounter with that lift was when I was skiing with @Bob Barnes one time and we came up to the lift. He gave me a quick rundown of what to expect.

At any rate, there's a family of four in front of us and one by one, they all got flung off, crashed or otherwise "lost". Gets to my turn... the liftie is giving me this look of "you had better make it". Bob is right behind me. No pressure!

I made it though *whew*. I definitely crashed once or twice trying to ride it though.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I made it though *whew*. I definitely crashed once or twice trying to ride it though.

Yeah. I was really focused the first time and got on it just fine. The second time, I guess I got complacent, and ended up being pulled by the arms until I realized that I was not going to be able to hold on the whole way. I have seen boarders manage this. They must have bionic arms or something. That thing had a kick! Apparently the replacement is a T bar: http://ski.curbed.com/2013/10/7/10190064/new-lifts-at-copper-mountain-debut-this-season

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Yeah. I was really focused the first time and got on it just fine. The second time, I guess I got complacent, and ended up being pulled by the arms until I realized that I was not going to be able to hold on the whole way. I have seen boarders manage this. They must have bionic arms or something. That thing had a kick! Apparently the replacement is a T bar: http://ski.curbed.com/2013/10/7/10190064/new-lifts-at-copper-mountain-debut-this-season

Yes, Storm King is a t-bar. It still has plenty of fails. Mine seem to have figured it out, though.

IMG_4876.JPG

Last edited: