• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Last season I started and ended with opening and closing day at A Basin. I typically never do opening day at the Basin My story is I was coerced and I'm sticking to it. Here is a shot from about 5 minutes ago.

photo credit: A Basin webcam

View attachment 31469

Ah instead of the WROD, they had the LLOD (Lift Line Of Death)! I bet anyone who failed the load and sent an empty seat by was severely hollered at hahahaha!

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I got there in the afternoon, and the line was only about 10 minutes long. My first run, we got to the "front row" in the lift line, and the lift stopped for a long time. Once we got on the lift and up there, we saw why: that dude who had fallen off. The next time through the line, we saw him walking (gingerly) into PHQ. Don't know why he fell, but I'm assuming he was pretty er limp to manage to walk away from a fall onto flat ground like that. It wasn't terribly far, but still.

I only skied a few runs, but it was really nice. A few hard spots of course, but better snow than many previous WRODs. I was kinda dragging my feet, then got stuck in some I-70 traffic, almost bailed, but I'm glad I didn't.

:bestday:

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
BTW, A-Basin was only 2nd to open, as Timberline opened last weekend, and for those who claim that it’s an unfair advantage to be on a glacier (even partially), the Pucci chair, which is below the glacier line, opened today, on all-natural snowfall. Currently 25” base at the lodge.

No I wasn’t there, can’t claim bragging rights, but might sneak down there for a day this weekend.

Edit: I missed Ecimmortal’s earlier post. I apologize for the redundant nature of my “PNW is superior” bragging.

Last edited:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
That fall sounds crazy.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
BTW, A-Basin was only 2nd to open, as Timberline opened last weekend, and for those who claim that it’s an unfair advantage to be on a glacier (even partially), the Pucci chair, which is below the glacier line, opened today, on all-natural snowfall. Currently 25” base at the lodge.

No I wasn’t there, can’t claim bragging rights, but might sneak down there for a day this weekend.

Edit: I missed Ecimmortal’s earlier post. I apologize for the redundant nature of my “PNW is superior” bragging.

Timberline then closed again. Doesn’t count if you don’t stay open.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
TS
Sandy_NYC

Sandy_NYC

Getting off the lift
Skier
Thanks for your suggestions, every one! I ultimately decided it wasn't worth airfare, lodging, and food to ski one run for 10 days. I decided to do a trans Canada train trip instead. I'll be taking a train from Toronto to Vancouver, then doing biking and hiking in Vancouver along with some sightseeing. If anyone is in the Vancouver area - let's meet up! If not, I'd love to hear any suggestions you may have. Thank you for helping me make this decision!

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Technically they were open, but the upper lifts were closed due to storm conditions.

So on Monday when A-Basin is open and Timberline is closed.

And on Tuesday when A-Basin is open and Timberline is closed.

And on Wed...

You have to be open to claim you are open.

TonyC

Contact me at bestsnow.net
Pass Pulled
It is quite common in late season for areas to be open weekends only. Crystal and Snowbird come to mind. Squaw at the end this year. There are some in the Northeast too. Alta is usually open a weekend or two after daily operation ceases mid-April.

The current level of skiing is only worth it for locals anyway and not worth taking a vacation day IMHO. In that context I'd take the current conditions at Timberline over those at A-Basin.

Last edited:

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
I would say -- buy a 4 pack and come mid week. Use it to get your ski legs under you. Personally, I'd choose Loveland over A-Basin.

Loveland has shorter lift lines, and a wider run early season. Bonus is that at A-Basin you get a bunch of drunk bros. At Loveland you get to ski with a bunch of neo-pros.

Loveland early season is vastly superior to A-Basin, but you want the A-Basin late season so buy a pass to both. It’s still cheaper than an Epic Pass.

I’m coming up mid-week for day one at A-Basin and then am ready for 20 lap chair 1 days ogwink.

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I once again somehow misread the Loveland Card's description as "discontinued" rather than "discounted." Honestly, Monique. So anyway, that's on order. I know they say it's not as good a deal as 4-packs, but you also don't lose any money if you only go once or twice. I like the flexibility.