• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

AnyGlove(TM) For Leather Formula - Turns Almost Gloves Into Touchscreen Gloves

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I was pondering the possibilities to make good leather ski gloves more touchscreen compatible. The options appear to be to either buy metal conductive thread and stitch loops on the fingertips or paint special fluid on the finger tips to make them work like naked fingers.

Poking holes through expensive leather ski gloves seems like a bad idea so I went with the paint on stuff for starters.

The various liquid options are $15-$20 for a small bottle, enough for about 10 finger/thumb tips.

Some say it has to be reapplied every 3-4 weeks. Some say it's fully washable and stays on. I got the more expensive promising the latter.

The instructions say to add another/multiple coats if it doesn't work on the first layer. After about 5 coats I have concluded that AnyGlove(TM) is all but worthless on thick ski gloves like Hestra or Kombi. It does work fairly well on thinner leather driving gloves though..

I also had to remove the screen protector to get the thinner gloves with the treatment to work.

I guess I'll give up for now, but the thought of getting the thread and stitching loops on fabric patches then gluing the patches on to the finger tip and thumb tip might work. But, a chunk of super glue on leather will also compromise the long term durability of the material too so probably will not go there either..

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
or you know resist the urge to post on Facebook when you're out skiing....I know it's hard how are your vague acquaintances supposed to know how awesome you are...

More seriously Program an android headphone socket with a call answer physical button ( dummy plug in the socket)

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
or you know resist the urge to post on Facebook when you're out skiing....I know it's hard how are your vague acquaintances supposed to know how awesome you are...

More seriously Program an android headphone socket with a call answer physical button ( dummy plug in the socket)
I only use the camera and ski trax GPS when out on the mountain (summer or winter).. In fact, I chose the phone because it had the Zeiss lens and best out of the box camera function. I never talk on the phone or text while skiing. You can also download PDFs of trail maps and save a few trees.

But feel free to diss away anyway. Some people just can't help it..

As for driving, I have voice commands down pretty well, but I usually pass the phone to one of the kids to manage texts to mom about dinner and when we are expected back and what to get for her at the store before pulling in to the driveway on the last leg of our 3.5 hour drive.

Last edited:

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Sorry should have put a winky in there.

I have a phone with a physical camera button that you can use without swiping (Sony) but the dummy plug is a substitute if you like

The touchscreen gloves do make me laugh although I just have some liners that are thin enough to use the screen if necessary.

Ski trax can't you turn on and forget it?

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
BTW I think ski maps work fine in deadtree format. They are horrible as pdfs and those interactive online monstrosities IME.

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Sorry should have put a winky in there.

I have a phone with a physical camera button that you can use without swiping (Sony) but the dummy plug is a substitute if you like
Can you change to burst, video, or even zoom without using the touchscreen?:huh: Ya, I can snap a photo, but that's all.

The PDF trail maps take getting used to and require scrolling around and zooming in and out but aren't bad in a decent sized screen. It's not any harder than using the phone as a GPS navigator in the car.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
No but I never could do any of those things with gloved hands on a traditional camera with fully mechanical controls. Too much dexterity required. FWIW I can see that there are some professions where using a touchscreen in extreme cold might be necessary but the obsession with using gadgets for everything in our outdoor activities does annoy me as I am somewhat of a retrogrouch. Besides I can never get a reliable livestream of the cricket commentary when I'm on a mountain anyway.

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
but the obsession with using gadgets for everything in our outdoor activities does annoy me as I am somewhat of a retrogrouch.

But you're OK with using gadgets that carry you up the mountain so you don't have to hike for turns though right?

FWIW, I prefer slower, fixed grip lifts now that I'm old and out of shape so there hahahaha..

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
A seal skin was a gadget in it's day. As were pole baskets and bindings.

You know what I mean. We've all sat on chairs/gondys with consumers for whom it seems the primary pleasure of skiing is not the skiing but whether their stats beat everyone else (speed, distance covered) , playback of their mundane Gopro run,whether anyone has acknowledged their latest instagram and whether they can conduct a text conversation with the rest of their party. Plus of course chairlift selfies.

It's not bad - while they are faffing they are hardly scoping that nice untracked line just the other side of those trees.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm guessing that taking your glove off to run your phone doesn't appeal to you, but what about the touchscreen compatible gloves made by companies like Mountain Hardwear, The North Face, or Smartwool (to name a few)?

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I'm guessing that taking your glove off to run your phone doesn't appeal to you, but what about the touchscreen compatible gloves made by companies like Mountain Hardwear, The North Face, or Smartwool (to name a few)?

Replacing an entire quiver of jacket matching gloves appeals to me less than taking my glove off since the goop doesn't work very well on them. It does work a little but though. I would like to try some of the gloves with conductive thread fingertips. to see if they are considerably better than the goop is. I suspect most gloves will have that in a few years by the time mine current ones wear out.

Scrundy

I like beer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I use my phone for the same reasons. That's why I like convertible mittens. I also use my phone to listen to music and the occasional call home from momma. But got the Bluetooth head speakers in my helmet for that.

JeffB

ODAT
Skier
I would like to try some of the gloves with conductive thread fingertips. to see if they are considerably better than the goop is.

I have some from Swany with touted touch screen ability. In my experience it doesn't work well, but perhaps that's because I keep my phone in my breast pocket when skiing, so if I take it out, it's usually got some sweat/condensation on the screen. So the leather fingertip just smears the moisture around making it tough to enter the passcode. And if dry, the fat fingertip makes passcode entry a pain anyway. I don't use a case or screen protector on my phone though, so don't know if having one would help. Probably not.

In any event, I didn't buy the gloves for the touch feature.

But now I'm wondering, if add new authorized "fingerprints" using the glove leather as the print, will it work?

Will give it a shot after cocktails this evening -

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I have a positive update to this review. Got an email from AnyGlove asking if the product worked for me. That lead to a YouTube tutorial on how to apply the product properly. The instructions in the package said to apply it to the fingertip areas and allow to dry then apply a 2nd coat. Photos show putting drops on the fingertips.

The YouTube tutorial adds a step of massaging the liquid in to the leather deeply by rubbing the finger and thumb together while it's still wet, not on the paper instruction sheet. I did that today making it about 4 coats now with the third one pressed in. It is working quite a bit better, every bit as good as I expected possible. Fingers being fatter there will be issues like JeffB mentions, but it actually DOES WORK! Now the question will be "for how long??".

I am flagging this for a mod to move to "soft goods" category. I didn't see that category when I posted this.