• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

International (Europe/Japan/Southern Hemisphere) Andermatt area town to spend the night?

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hi,

my wife and I are heading to Zwitserland to ski tour, similar to what @jmeb did in 2019 .

We are flying to Zürich, arriving late morning. Then, we plan to take public transport to the Andermatt area. We start our ski tour the next day from Realp.

So, that first evening, we need to find a town to spend the night.

• Something fairly easy to get to with public transport. Lots of awkward luggage, plus, fatigue from a night on a plane, means fewer transfers is nicer.
  • someplace fun to spend the evening. We want that day to feel like part of the vacation, not staying in a suburb or such. Somewhere we can take a stroll before dinner. Could be a tiny hamlet with pretty surroundings, or a small city with cool old streets.
Any suggestions for scenic surroundings?

@Swiss Toni ? @Bruno Schull ? @Cheizz ?

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
If budget allows why not stay in Andermatt. It's very quaint, has plenty of food and beer options, and minimizes logististics the following morning. The ride into it is stunning and just the one necessary transfer from Zurich. Use the afternoon to rest, eat well, repack gear, visit a ski shop. There's a world class spa if you're into that sort of thing.

Suspect your guide will meet you in Andermatt before ya'll jump the train to Realp. Enjoy a slower morning, coffee, and make sure you don't forget your poles at your hotel 3min before the train departs....

TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
yeah, I am sure we could find something within budget in Andermatt. Realp itself would be another option.

Good to hear you liked it as a town. No spa visits for us (that day), we’d just fall alseep, waste of money ;)

Haha, yeah I read about your pole debacle :ogbiggrin:

Spoke to the guide company today, and she echoed your love for the Göscheneralp guesthuouse , said that people really like it, and mentioned the side by side “boost” up to the dam.

Swiss Toni

Out on the slopes
Skier
Ultimately it will come down to availability, but Andermatt will likely be your best option. If you take the IC5 from Zürich airport at 11:48 you will only have 2 changes. The old part of Andermatt is about 10 mins walk from the station, alternatively you could take the free E-Sportbus. If you take the IC5 at 13:48 you could also get to Hospental with only 2 changes. Unless you only want very basic accommodation I wouldn’t advise staying in Realp.

The old part of Andermatt is has a number of attractive old buildings https://www.andermatt.swiss/en/attractions/historical-village-heart-andermatt-c853a4ca87 https://www.komoot.com/highlight/4207941 You could also take a stroll around the new development in Andermatt Reuss, it looks like something the Chinese might build.

To get to Realp you can take the train from either Andermatt or Hospental, or use the mybuxi ride on demand service https://mybuxi.ch/en/passengers/regions/gotthard-region/

To help you get your bearings you can view the main ski touring routes on https://www.skitourenguru.com/ If you would like to have relevant sections of the Swisstopo winter map on your phone for offline use you can install the Swisstopo app https://www.swisstopo.admin.ch/en/swisstopo-application and download the sections of the map you need FOC.

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
And if you take your bikes with you, Oberalppass is just by Andermatt and is the source of the river Rhine - so you could cycle the length of the Rhine from Andermatt to the Hook of Holland after your ski vacation for the Iron-most Man type of trip <J for joke, but I did that ride in June 2019 - I don't think I'd really recommend it in winter!>

TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Swiss Toni yes, I have the SAC touren portal app, and got the subscription. And the Whiterisk one

TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
And if you take your bikes with you, Oberalppass is just by Andermatt and is the source of the river Rhine - so you could cycle the length of the Rhine from Andermatt to the Hook of Holland after your ski vacation for the Iron-most Man type of trip <J for joke, but I did that ride in June 2019 - I don't think I'd really recommend it in winter!>
Rob, I have cycled to Hook of Holland many times, so I think I’m good (I grew up in Delft, not far from there).

I ended up using Chase‘ travel portal so I could use some miles, found Bergidyl Hotel in Andermatt. I’m can’t wait!

Sponsor

Staff online