• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Am I about to become Sir Shiftsalot ?

razie

Sir Shiftsalot
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Short story, favorite MTB stolen, need new one - found reasonable deal (under bank breaking limits) on some Marin bikes, but now all new bikes have just one gear at the front.

I don't get it... here's my simple use case: I used to set the pace from the rear and when a quick uphill came by, just one quick downshift the front, get over it, and one quick upshift on the right side of that hill.

Now what? Will I have to quickly downshift like a maniac 4-5 times and then upshift like a happier maniac on the right side of that hill?

thanks,
puzzled me

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Short story, favorite MTB stolen, need new one - found reasonable deal (under bank breaking limits) on some Marin bikes, but now all new bikes have just one gear at the front.

I don't get it... here's my simple use case: I used to set the pace from the rear and when a quick uphill came by, just one quick downshift the front, get over it, and one quick upshift on the right side of that hill.

Now what? Will I have to quickly downshift like a maniac 4-5 times and then upshift like a happier maniac on the right side of that hill?

thanks,
puzzled me
Now you become a shiftless bastard? Or a shifty character?:micdrop:

All jokes aside, (and yes, I know its not a mic drop if I keep writing). I agree with you and still ride a triple (although double would be sufficient). On a road bike I don't mind this, because hills are long and you see them coming. On a MTB though, as you described, sometimes you just need to pop down and back up.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes, unless you find a 2X, which Trek still makes and sells on a lot of their bikes.
You'll adapt, I promise. :D

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
There are still 2 and 3 front ring rigs available, usually at a lower cost. Most of the high-end bikes are going single front. Yes you have to shift through to get the gear you want. However, the jump between gears is generally larger so you'll be covering more range with each shift. Not saying that's better for your style necessarily, but it won't be as bad as you think.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
At least for once things are becoming less complicated. I still run 3 rings but the big chainring is my bash guard.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
No more 26.. no more front sprocket choices.. I do see how reducing production complexity, fewer cables, fewer levers, fewer parts lowers costs.. I wonder if they are charging more for less?? That's what they do.. cut costs and convince the customers it's for their own good then charge them more for less..

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
FWIW, I find only upside with the single front ring. It's not like you have to go click-click-click - you hold the shifter down and dump a bunch of gears. I guess you might not end up back in the exact same gear afterwards, but you may or may not have wanted that, anyway.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I've been meaning to do this . . . .

I did this for the last several years ... er, since 2013, I guess. Worked just fine!

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
However, the jump between gears is generally larger so you'll be covering more range with each shift.

Exactly. This works mostly great on the trail, but is a bit annoying for gravel road riding.

The one thing I can't let go of after quite a bit of time on the new 12-speed Eagle stuff is the 42 to 50 jump. It's freaking huge! I would bet a lunch that SRAM engineers originally specced a 48 and the marketeers won out so they could plaster "500%" all over the place.

On a related note, has anybody seen the new Pinion gearbox? This thing is coming. Significantly reduced weight AND cost.

https://nsmb.com/articles/pinion-c-line-gearbox/

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Exactly. This works mostly great on the trail, but is a bit annoying for gravel road riding.

The one thing I can't let go of after quite a bit of time on the new 12-speed Eagle stuff is the 42 to 50 jump. It's freaking huge! I would bet a lunch that SRAM engineers originally specced a 48 and the marketeers won out so they could plaster "500%" all over the place.

I'm happy with the 50, because I get the same gear ratio as my old granny gear gave me. The jump hasn't bothered me that much, although I suppose if I *had* an in between gear, I would use it.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I would love a 50, but I'd settle for a 46.

Agreed. 46 or 48 would be perfect. But I have to say that as a retired racer (theoretically, anyway) I'm coming to grips with the jump to the 50. Every ride doesn't have to be a training ride, anymore!

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
50 too big, just put a bigger chainring on.
That's my plan. I just need a little bigger than 42. Or did you mean smaller ring in front? Which is better to do: go smaller in crankset or add bigger cog to cassette?

Last edited:

Sponsor